GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gail & I have recently acquired a darling puppy (Havanese) that will grow to about 10 to 12 lbs. We want to be able to take her (the dog) with us when we travel on the GL1800.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to travel with the dog.

Right now she is only about 4 lbs. So far we have taken her on one ride of about 65 miles with a stop in the middle. She rode on Gail’s chest in a chest pouch. We put a thermostatically controlled 12V heating pad set at 105 degrees in the front of the pouch to keep her warm because it was only about 55 or 60 degrees. She seemed to like it and would look around when we were going slowly. At higher speeds she’d tuck down in the chest pouch to keep out of the cool wind.

If any of you have experience or ideas on this subject please chime in.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
We have 16 dogs, all but our large greyhound ride... Our most famous rider Goliath, one of our minpins has over 60,000 miles. We sponsor the fireworks at Americade... He has raised money over the years for The Pony Express ride, and for the last 3 years has been a contributer and money raiser for The Ride for Kids at various locations.... He does all his miles, sitting in my wifes jacket :) We started riding him at 9 weeks old and loves it. My wife can carry two small dogs comfortably in her jacket at a time. Get youth swimmers goggles for their eyes they will fit most small dogs and are very reasonably priced. If you need any info feel free to e-mail

Here are the breeds we have
4 Minature Pinschers Goliath, Abbie, Z'oor, Samson
5 Chinese Cresteds Benny, Chache, Nyissa, Rory, Zathros
3 Pomeranians Chewbacca, Saskwatch, Alex
1 Chihuahua Anna
1 Italian Greyhound Isis
1 Carin Terrier Wookie
1 Greyhound Rescued from the track Dandy

·
Registered
5 Posts
riding with dog

we have a jack russel terrier and he loves to ride. my wife holds him in her lap for short rides and i have alittle box for longer rides. if we get ready to leave he will actually sit and pout if he can't go, it's pathetic. but you should see all the waves and pointing we find along our rides.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You guys are talking little dogs. I was hoping someone would have an idea about how Ed and I could carry our 2 Golden Retrievers with us.
Oh well :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Goggles for dogs

Sam,
Good luck with the new pup. Makes me want to get another dog. Awhile back I saw couple in California (TV) that has a business of making goggles for dogs who like to ride in the cage with their heads out the window. I do not have the page but I'll bet a search could find it.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
I sell Fibro Concept trailers, they have an optional lid for the trailer that you pull behind your bike, that has an open cockpit and tie downs for a full size dog to travel behind the bike

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Annette,
I remember (quite some years ago) seeing a guy towing a homebuilt trailer with a plexi front to it ... the back of the trailer was storage for his gear, the front end contained a Husky and a Lab ....
The dogs could see front and part of the side and he said he'd done most of the US and Canada with them along.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Travelling with dog

My SO and I took "Beauregard", our little Bichon Frisee to the Hoot last year. He even earned his own T-shirt by riding the Tail of the Dragon both directions. If my avatar still works, you'll see hoe we did it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sam,

I'll offer this here as well. I met this couple at the Dallas Motorcycle Show a couple of years ago. In fact when I first saw the booth, the husband was walking around with a poodle and the poodle was wearing doggles.

Hope this helps

www.poochpack.com

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The Raven said:
You guys are talking little dogs. I was hoping someone would have an idea about how Ed and I could carry our 2 Golden Retrievers with us.
Oh well :(
Me, too, Annette. I'm a big Golden Retriever fan and thought taking one along would be fun but at over sixty pounds a sidecar or trailer would be about the only way, I'm afraid. I'd love to hear how anyone else handles it. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sam,

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

We had to put our Lhasa down right after you posted this. We'd had her for 15 years and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. We've since found a Papillon and will be ordering a pooch pack for him to travel with us.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I remember looking into a company that makes soft sided "boxes" open at the top that strap on to your back seat, with a harness type restraint inside for a large dog. I was looking at it for my rotty who loved to ride on the atv and had she lived longer probably on the wing too. I don't remember the name but do a search.........

·
Registered
615 Posts
Raven, there is a trailer made for big dogs. I have a friend that has one of their trailers. I will start to look for the info. I also saw them selling them at a rally, areally nice setup. Let me look around. Joy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts