GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got to wondering ...

I got my Traxion front springs (just the springs for now)
... planning on DIY this week

Question (I'll ask them Monday but thought I'd ask here first in case there is a simple answer) ..
Since the springs raise the bike about an inch,
then, it is recommended to change the fork tubes in the tree about 4/10ths of inch (10mm) in order to try and keep the bike geometry as designed,
... the question is:
how come they just don't make the spring an inch shorter in the first place so it does not raise the bike up?

It seems like they could make a heavier spring without making it taller too but I'm probably wrong about that. ??
many of us don't need the bike raised any higher.

After reading the posts on here I had already disabled the anti-dive shortly after I got the bike ... that did help alot.

thanks in advance,
Dennis

F

·
0 Posts
I think I've read enough of those threads, so I'm going to take a shot. If I'm wrong, shoot me down. I've got thick skin... :lol:

Answer - Because you would lose that extra fork travel you just gained with the new springs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Traxxion Fork Springs

When I put my Traxxion fork springs in, I did not lower the bike by moving the fork tubes up in the triple tree clamps. I enjoy the extra ground clearance. I also think the bike handles better at high speeds with the extra rake or trail or whatever the longer fork tubes cause. The new springs are a very great improvement. Also, I disabled my anti-dive by grinding off the pin flush with the top half of the actuator. That made a world of difference.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just installed the Traxxion springs and I went ahead and raised the forks 10MM. I'm running a 70 on the rear, so I already had a little more clearance anyway.

To disabe the Anti-dive I made a spacer out of a 3/4" PVC coupling. It fits perfect over the flange of the upper valve. It's the thickness of the gap, with the pin extended, and just before touching the lower valve. Put a little clear windshield sealer on the spacer just to make it water tight. Also got some longer bolts (M5x0.8x20 I think) and a little locktight.

No more sag like in my sig picture. :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
skip h wrote:
Max,
Why not set the forks up 1" if it raises up the front by 1"??

Max wrote:

1. The fork legs could bang into the lower triple clamp.

2. That would dramatically alter the steering geometry at the point where the bike bottoms out.

The 1" comes from not having the bike sit so far down on the springs that can't hold it up.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Max noted you can actually raise the fork legs to a total of 20 mm if you just put in the springs. The full Traxxion upgrade lowers the forks 10mm internally, and they raise the forks in the triple tree 10mm...so there is your 20mm.
Hope this helps. :D

Fred

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skip h said:
The 1" comes from not having the bike sit so far down on the springs that can't hold it up.
That's interesting ...

that seems to imply some of the added suspension is achieved by having a longer spring ...
my very limited layman notion was that the added suspension was going to be achieved by a "heavier" spring.

IF the spring could be heavier without being longer then it should not alter the basic geometry of the bike
... of course that must be an oversimplification otherwise that would be an option.

thanks for the additional info ...
I'll let you know if learn more after I call them ..

Dennis

·
Registered
900 Posts
The Traxxion springs are the same length as the stock, but heavier duty and not a progressive spring.
Fred

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
It always intrigues me that folks buy a bike.. then modify suspension-- rake -- size of tires -- disable the anti dive .. :roll:

cosmic

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It always intrigues me that folks buy a bike.. then modify suspension-- rake -- size of tires -- disable the anti dive ..
Suspension: Had Progressives on my 1500, Traxxion on my 1800.
Like the handling better.

Rear Tire: Oh, joy! Speedo is actually correct, and my load carrying capacity is better.

Perhaps if these were in the original design - ya think?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cosmic_chariot said:
It always intrigues me that folks buy a bike.. then modify suspension-- rake -- size of tires -- disable the anti dive .. :roll: cosmic
... it is the nature of "us" beasts to take things apart and make them "better".
... at least, we perceive them to be better.
:wink:

Dennis

·
Registered
900 Posts
wingwing...
I don't think you'll regret putting the traxxion springs on your bike.
I put mine on a year ago, and haven't looked back. The ride and handling is much improved.
The stock springs only give you 1" of travel before bottoming out, whe as the Traxxion springs eliminate that completely.
You might feel the road imperfections a bit more, but not to the point of being irritating.
The handling in corners, and the extra height in the curves is great!

Fred

·
Registered
900 Posts
Cosmic
The only reason you need the anti-dive was to lock up the forks so the bike wouldn't bottom out..a cheap patch for a bad suspension.
With stronger springs you don't need the anti-dive, and the front of the bike should dive a bit on hard breaking which translate into better braking power.

Fred

·
Registered
553 Posts
anti dive ?

my 03 is stock,but you guys say if i disable the anti dive it is a benefit ?? please explain thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
oldbiker39,
If you have the Traxxion springs on your bike, or get the full blown Traxxion upgrade, (Traxxion diables the anti-dive when rebuilding forks), you can disable the anti-dive, as it is not needed.
I've had mine disabled for over a year, and ride and braking is fine.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
It always intrigues me that folks buy a bike.. then modify suspension-- rake -- size of tires -- disable the anti dive .. :roll:

cosmic
Yeah, and it intriques me as to why a company with Honda's reputation builds a bike with such a POS front suspension.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
deucalion said:
The Traxxion springs are the same length as the stock. Fred
are you sure?

The shop manual says stock spring "free length" (I'm assuming that means uncompressed) should be either 13.20 or 13.19 (depending on model).

The new springs I have from Trax measure 12.5 (in the box).

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jjsC6 said:
Yeah, and it intrigues me as to why a company with Honda's reputation builds a bike with such a POS front suspension.
have to agree with that ...
My little CRF 150 seems to have better front suspension than my Goldwing.

overall I like the wing VERY much but I get the feeling it is a "committee horse"
... design and function-wise, some parts of it just seem way out of whack compared to other parts of it
... the front end being a typical example.
... if the rest of the bike were engineered like the engine it would really be a "GOLD" wing ... but prob cost as much too!
:shock:

Heresy next ... don't shoot me:
It would be nice if Honda offered the wing the way Harley offers the V-Rod.
1) one price for a basic "off the rack" V-Rod (basically the way the Goldwing is offered).
2) a few grand more for a custom wing (like the "Custom" V-Rod)
3) and another few grand more for a really tricked out wing (like the "Destroyer" version of the V-Rod).

... seems like Harley is actually vying for those other +market options while Honda would rather we come up with our own after market "improvements".

no complaints here, it does work well enough as is
... and/but there is room for improvement for those that are inclined to do so.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: anti dive ?

oldbiker39 said:
my 03 is stock,but you guys say if i disable the anti dive it is a benefit ?? please explain thanks
OldBiker39,
The anti-dive locks the front fork during even moderate braking,
I guess to keep the too "cushy" fork springs from bottoming out.

Street motorcycle techniques advise to "ease" the front brake at first to allow the bike's center of gravity to shift forward to the front wheel and as it does, you can apply greater force to the front brake as the front wheel gains more traction.

The major criticism of the anti-dive is that it does not allow the forks to compress and that hinders the transfer of CG forward
... defense of the anti-dive is that under normal riding the bike is heavy enough where that is not a great factor.
... another criticism of the anti-dive is that it seems prone to early failure and then the forks are locked all the time which has led to some fork seal blowouts.

I disabled my anti-dive after about the first week.
I have a small bump at the end of my driveway and the first time I hit it with the brake applied I thought I ran over a small alligator!
:wink:

I did not like the way the bike felt going over small bumps with moderate braking
... the front forks being locked by the anti-dive makes the bike feel more like a grocery shopping cart (no suspension).

Now with the anti-dive disabled it feels more natural to me but the "too soft" springs problem is more evident
... so, the next step for me is adding stronger springs.

there is probably a more technical answer but that's about the "gist" of it.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The PVC bit for the antidive adjustment looks nice, but does PVC hold up to the fluid factor? A Chemical PVC (GRAY) might, leary about white PVC ! Then it should not leak past the "O-ring" anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts