GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im installing Traxxion Triple Tree. Is a fork brace necessary.
Also installing Progressive MonoTubes.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
My opinion is no but it won't hurt anything, if properly installed, and might even help a little but doubt it would be noticeable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My opinion is no but it won't hurt anything, if properly installed, and might even help a little but doubt it would be noticeable.
Thanks for reply, I have a two piece brace now which not suggested.
5 piece variety is best.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

X2

I have a Rocky tree and PMT's and a fork brace on the shelf. It's a good opportunity for you to answer your own question if you can install the brace yourself. Ride it, install the brace, ride it again. Report your results. The biggest improvement will be seen when you first hit a driveway apron.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I went with the Traxxion Triple Tree and left the fork brace off! I have had the fork brace on another bike with out the Traxxion Triple Tree. I ask Max that question when I was equipping this bike the Traxxion Full Monty and left it off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
called Traxxion this morning, Max says, fork brace with triple tree conversion.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
5th gen pipes flex. The more bracing the better. However, that does not mean every rider rides in a way to really notice the benefits of having a fork brace. Especially after have a Traxxion triple tree.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
called Traxxion this morning, Max says, fork brace with triple tree conversion.
Did he break that down at all? Any fork brace? Specific ones?

As far as the "can't hurt anything" idea, I've heard mumbles that some of the less good or poorly installed fork braces CAN hurt things, in particular inducing a little added stress that runs down the fork seals faster and in the extreme induces some stiction. Is there any truth to that? I'm not convinced.

My new (used) ride has a fork brace. I haven't broken the code on which one. The key thing I noted is it doesn't have the little wind shields that lessen the amount of bug and road crud that get onto the fork tubes and into the seals. I haven't gotten around to caring or doing anything about it.

I'm pretty sure that if I was going from stock to Traxxion triple tree and All Balls or other steering head bearing, I could NOT notice the fork brace +/- on the margin. Like Greg says.

OTOH, I did notice a big change when I went from stock to PMT + All Balls + Fork Brace, and again when I went from that bike to another one with Traxxion Full Monty.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
I used a brace on my 2002 before and after my original "Full Monty" by Traxxion. I could not tell the brace was doing anything before (Kuryakyn brace) or after on that bike (after was with the Traxxion brace) and I was a fairly aggressive rider. I loaned the Kuryakyn to a few other Wingers and two of them remarked about the wonderful improvement, another reported an opion similar to mine. Then Max offered the "Mega Monty" which includes the new Traxrite tree. I did that and brace or not, it was/is a better handling bike. The brace is still on that bike, like said above it does no harm and maybe it helps when the moon is blue.

prs

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Max at Traxxion definitely recommends the adjustable type fork brace, they recommend there's or Kuryakyn. I just installed the PMT and the Traxxion triple tree, just riding around the block I felt a noticeable handling improvement, stiffness and less roughness in the handlebar. As an experiment I put back on my old two piece SuperBrace and felt the forks slightly sticking while wiggling the bike up and down on the side stand, ..............its not on anymore.

Reactions: 20 20 vision
1 - 13 of 13 Posts