GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Traxxion 1.2 springs on my bike and was told to disable my ADV by a Traxxion installer. And now I have some questions. (not saying they are right or wrong)

1. Should I disable ADV?
2. What oil Weight to use if I do? (OEM says 10W)
3. Where to set the fork height if I disable ADV? (OEM says flush...Traxxion says 10mm)
4. How do I disable it?

Looking for riders that have had ADV disabled....what is your riding style...how many miles on the disabled ADV?

OK...Progressive spring users can play also...but no mono tubes or cartridge forks please. Thanks

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
First off, you should use 20 weight fork oil with the Traxxion springs if you disable the anti-dive valve. I like to use Maxima 20weight fork oil, as it seems to have a viscosity that works well with the Traxxion springs. If you don't disable the anti-dive valve, you need to use the Honda SS8 fork oil in the left leg and 20 weight in the right.

Second, yes I believe you should disable the anti-dive valve. The easiest and best way to disable it is to drill a small hole in a nickel and insert it between the two anti-dive valve halves to stop the plunger from being able to activate the lower section of the valve.

How much to raise the forks in the triple trees is sort of a personal preference. Raising the forks quickens the steering, so if you go too much it can make the front end feel twitchy and "fast". Since the forks won't compress as much with the new springs, Traxxion feels like 10mm brings it back similar to the way it handled stock. You might want to play with it and see what feels good for you. Usually somewhere between 5-10mm is about right. However, if you are running a car tire that changes the rear end height, this needs to be taken in account, and you may not want to raise them at all.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, you should use 20 weight fork oil with the Traxxion springs if you disable the anti-dive valve. I like to use Maxima 20weight fork oil, as it seems to have a viscosity that works well with the Traxxion springs. If you don't disable the anti-dive valve, you need to use the Honda SS8 fork oil in the left leg and 20 weight in the right.

Second, yes I believe you should disable the anti-dive valve. The easiest and best way to disable it is to drill a small hole in a nickel and insert it between the two anti-dive valve halves to stop the plunger from being able to activate the lower section of the valve.

How much to raise the forks in the triple trees is sort of a personal preference. Raising the forks quickens the steering, so if you go too much it can make the front end feel twitchy and "fast". Since the forks won't compress as much with the new springs, Traxxion feels like 10mm brings it back similar to the way it handled stock. You might want to play with it and see what feels good for you. Usually somewhere between 5-10mm is about right. However, if you are running a car tire that changes the rear end height, this needs to be taken in account, and you may not want to raise them at all.
Will the 20W be OK up here at 0*. I ride all year round...if roads are clear.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Will the 20W be OK up here at 0*. I ride all year round...if roads are clear.
The 20 weight oil is used to increase the damping force of the right side cartridge so it better matches the stiffer Traxxion springs. It may make them feel a bit rough in cold temps until it warms up. I guess you could put in 15 weight if you wanted, but typically you set forks up so that they operate correctly when up to temperature. It's normal for all suspensions to feel a bit stiffer in cold weather. If you set them up to ride good at zero degrees, then they will be too springy at 70 degrees. My advice would be to put the 20 weight fork oil in and just live with the stiffer ride when cold.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 20 weight oil is used to increase the damping force of the right side cartridge so it better matches the stiffer Traxxion springs. It may make them feel a bit rough in cold temps until it warms up. I guess you could put in 15 weight if you wanted, but typically you set forks up so that they operate correctly when up to temperature. It's normal for all suspensions to feel a bit stiffer in cold weather. If you set them up to ride good at zero degrees, then they will be too springy at 70 degrees. My advice would be to put the 20 weight fork oil in and just live with the stiffer ride when cold.
Works for me!! Thanks...

Also...does this pic look correct to disable ADV? Just use a nickel or heavy washer in between housings. correct?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have the same springs in my 2002. I have 15wt in there now and seems a little harsh to me. I weigh 165lb
soaking wet in my gear. Going to try 10wt next time
My anti dive is disabled for ever. I cut the plunger off. I set the forks flush at the top. Makes it sit a skosh higher.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome!!! Thanks for all the HELP Guys!!!! :bow:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I have the same springs in my 2002. I have 15wt in there now and seems a little harsh to me. I weigh 165lb
soaking wet in my gear. Going to try 10wt next time
My anti dive is disabled for ever. I cut the plunger off. I set the forks flush at the top. Makes it sit a skosh higher.
If you weigh 165lbs, you should have either the 1.0kg/mm or 1.1kg/mm springs. The 1.2 kg/mm are too stiff for your weight.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have what they recommend. Do you think I should go lighter on the springs?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with fat fingers

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I have what they recommend. Do you think I should go lighter on the springs?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with fat fingers
I would. I weigh about 190 and I have a 1.0 kg/mm in one fork leg and a 1.1 kg/mm in the other, and I'm real happy with the ride.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you weigh 165lbs, you should have either the 1.0kg/mm or 1.1kg/mm springs. The 1.2 kg/mm are too stiff for your weight.
I am 220 now and hope to be down below 200 by the DSRI in May. You thank the 1.2 are too stiff for me?

Also...the disable the ADV...the nickel fits inside the ADV...is that what it suppose to do? Also...could I just use a couple washers the same size so I don't have to go to Federal Prision for defacing US currency? (OK...I don't reall want to deal with drilling a nickel if I don't have too.)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I am 220 now and hope to be down below 200 by the DSRI in May. You thank the 1.2 are too stiff for me?

Also...the disable the ADV...the nickel fits inside the ADV...is that what it suppose to do? Also...could I just use a couple washers the same size so I don't have to go to Federal Prision for defacing US currency? (OK...I don't reall want to deal with drilling a nickel if I don't have too.)
Depends on which group you ride with at the DSRI, you may be wishing for stiffer springs.:lol:

I disabled the anti dive less than 1,000 miles after purchasing the bike. I went into a curve with a washboard surface a little too hot and touched the front brake ( I know I know really stupid on both counts, but hey :shrug:) and the suspension stiffened and the front tire started dancing accross the washboard. Once I disabled it, the suspension was much more forgiving in all circumstances. I have since learned how to ride better, well sort of, and put on full Traxxion, so I do not have that issue any more.

As for the nickel, drill away, as long as it is not a Canadian nickel and you are in Canada. You can deface US currency all you want as long as it is not to defraud, such as cutting the corner of $100 bills and gluing them to $1 to pass them off Pass off as $100. That's why you see all kind of squashed penny machines in the US, and not Canada. I know you were joking, but the geek in me took over since I so love squashed pennies.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I would. I weigh about 190 and I have a 1.0 kg/mm in one fork leg and a 1.1 kg/mm in the other, and I'm real happy with the ride.
I take that back, I have a 1.0 and 1.1 in my Concours. I'll have to go back through my records and look and see what I have in the Wing. Sorry for the confusion, I was getting my bikes mixed up and they both have Traxxion front ends.

However, for a 165lb rider, I'd still recommend the 1.1 kg/mm springs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts