GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have just done the "budget" upgrade to my front forks. A set of Traxxion springs was dropped in and Oh Boy!, what a transformation.

I no longer wobble to a stop at the lights, or feel as if the bike is going to fall over in slow manouvers.
Pulling into the local servo (gas station), the "crash" and rattle of tupperware has gone!

I have suspension!

Best bucks I have spent on it by far.

Thanks to Max and Mike at Traxxion.

Trev.

PS I wonder if the poor front end suspension causes the front gaurds to break?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Auswing said:
Hi all,

I have just done the "budget" upgrade to my front forks. A set of Traxxion springs was dropped in and Oh Boy!, what a transformation.

I no longer wobble to a stop at the lights, or feel as if the bike is going to fall over in slow manouvers.
Pulling into the local servo (gas station), the "crash" and rattle of tupperware has gone!

I have suspension!

Best bucks I have spent on it by far.

Thanks to Max and Mike at Traxxion.

Trev.

PS I wonder if the poor front end suspension causes the front gaurds to break?

I did the same about 4 months ago. Very pleased. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
fork spring swap

Auswing;I've been thinking of a spring swap myself, I've felt the front end was way under sprung from day one on my 06. Did you swap fluid also?, if so did you use stock weight oil?
Thanks, Pete.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Pete,

No oil swap at this time, Just pulled out the parts carefully and tapped them to shake off any excess oil, very little as the bike had been sitting for 48 hrs.
I needed to get it done quickly. Took around 2 hours. (thanks to some good tips and info from this site).

I also spaced up the antidive bleeder bolt mounting by around .064 thou. Pumped the forks up and down and applied the back brake, it still locks up.

Drove down the road and tested it out, dives ever so slightly and then locks up. Fantastic!.
(I used a standard washer with the right ID hole and then modified it as per Fred H's "horse shoe" shaped spacer. (My pin is still free at this time).

However, I have now recieved the All Balls bearings and the steering head socket tool so I am going to strip and flush the forks when I have it all apart. (probably in a weeks time).
Thinking of using 10 weight oil.

Cheers,

Trev.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think I read where Traxxion uses 7 wt. when they do the full front upgrade. FYI.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just recieved the fork springs from Traxxion, and asked about which fork fluid they used and they said Maxima 20 wt. . I thought it was a little on the heavy side, but will give it a try.

Dennis

·
Registered
311 Posts
Auswing said:
I no longer wobble to a stop at the lights
Just wondering, did you stop wobbling or stop stopping? :wink: Don't worry I'm just jealous. :lol:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
wingit84 said:
I just recieved the fork springs from Traxxion, and asked about which fork fluid they used and they said Maxima 20 wt. . I thought it was a little on the heavy side, but will give it a try.

Dennis
Huh?? I stand corrected..........i think. I could have swore I read where Max stated they used 7 wt. Maybe they changed or maybe I'm in left field.......someone hit it out here!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Auswing said:
Hi Pete,

No oil swap at this time, Just pulled out the parts carefully and tapped them to shake off any excess oil, very little as the bike had been sitting for 48 hrs.
I needed to get it done quickly. Took around 2 hours. (thanks to some good tips and info from this site).

I also spaced up the antidive bleeder bolt mounting by around .064 thou. Pumped the forks up and down and applied the back brake, it still locks up.

Drove down the road and tested it out, dives ever so slightly and then locks up. Fantastic!.
(I used a standard washer with the right ID hole and then modified it as per Fred H's "horse shoe" shaped spacer. (My pin is still free at this time).

However, I have now recieved the All Balls bearings and the steering head socket tool so I am going to strip and flush the forks when I have it all apart. (probably in a weeks time).
Thinking of using 10 weight oil.

Cheers,

Trev.
Thanks Trev,

I think this is my next upgrade, I've put up with harsh fork action long
enough. My anti-dive is working normal right now, but I may do a
pre-emptive strike by shimming the anti-dive vave while I'm at it.

Thanks, Pete.
[/quote]

·
Registered
55 Posts
steve s said:
Huh?? I stand corrected..........i think. I could have swore I read where Max stated they used 7 wt. Maybe they changed or maybe I'm in left field.......someone hit it out here!!!!!!!!!!!
You are very close, I think Max said they use Maxima 125/150 suspension fluid in the AK-20s.

For what it is worth, I have the Traxxion springs and have 7.5 wt in both forks and it really seems to be working great. I had 15 wt in the right fork but it seemed too stiff -- but the temperature here has been between 40-50 degrees.

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Hi Guys,

We use 125/150 Suspension fluid in our AK-20 forks.

In a stock fork, with springs only, I would suggest you actually put the lightest stuff you can find in the left fork. It doesn't do any damping, other than locking up the fork when the brakes are on.

The right fork is "double damped" in theory. You can run 10wt if it's cool out. If you live where it's hot, we have had good luck with 20wt. That is a bit of overkill, but the right fork is so lame, it seems to help.

Note that the compromise with the right fork is... as you go up on thickness of oil, you will get more small bump harshness. That's the compromise for additional overall control. 10wt or 15wt is an all around solution.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gdaddy said:
Auswing said:
I no longer wobble to a stop at the lights
Just wondering, did you stop wobbling or stop stopping? :wink: Don't worry I'm just jealous. :lol:
Still need to stop, but not with a wobble! :D :D

Cheers,

Trev.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts