GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the answer to this.

Will just installing the Traxxion springs($124) get rid of the wobble as they claim the entire AK-20 cartridge ($995 plus installation) does?

Anyone with just the springs have any feedback on their performance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Traxxion

I have the Traxxion fork springs now and have had for about 15,000 miles. I noticed immediate improvement in the handling of the bike with the new springs. I do not have anti-dive on my left fork because I disabled it about two weeks after I bought the bike in 2003. If the wobble you are referring to is the 35-45 mph deceleration/coasting wobble with no hands on the handlebars, I still have it. However, every motorcycle I have ever owned has had it too. I always thought that was the nature of the beast. I have owned twenty motorcycles over the past 40 years and can not remember one that would not wobble once in a while under those circumstances.

I have an appointment in April for the full Traxxion upgrade, front and rear and will be able to tell you more after that. I spend a lot of time on gravel roads and am looking for every advantage.

Thanks,
Bob Kinser

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any Traxxion installers on the west coast?

I live in the Seattle area but mind a 500-1000 mile ride to get to a installer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just completed a spring/spacer and All Balls bearing install last week on an 1800 that had the deaccel occilation prior to installation.
The customer called me back that evening after he picked up his bike and could not have been happier with the results.
He said his wobble was completely gone; that he could let go of the bars at 60mph and deaccelerate down to 20mph and the front end was as steady as a rock and there was no occilation at all.

Of course I can't guarantee this will be the result on every 1800 with only the spring/spacer update but this is certainly a very satisfied customer!!

You can visit our website: www.wingworx.com
We are located in Rancho Cordova.... just east of Sacramento.
Although we don't have the Traxxion listed on our website yet we are an authorized Traxxion dealer.
I specialize in GoldWings... although I work on most Honda motorcycle products.

Ray

·
Registered
144 Posts
f the wobble you are referring to is the 35-45 mph deceleration/coasting wobble with no hands on the handlebars, I still have it. However, every motorcycle I have ever owned has had it too. I always thought that was the nature of the beast. I have owned twenty motorcycles over the past 40 years and can not remember one that would not wobble once in a while
I'm doing springs upgrade with Traxxion, and rear spring/shock but won't mess with the wheel bearings

I expect an improvement but some decel wobble to remain - as long as I keep one hand on the bar, it's not a factor for me

each and every sportbike I've owned or ridden can be ridden with no hands and steering the bike with just body inputs - no wobble ever

on the other hand, cruisers I have owned and ridden have generally had it - severity increases with more weight (or less preload) on rear of those bikes

I'm sure someone like Max can explain how's and why's of the wobble

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the wobble you are referring to is the 35-45 mph deceleration/coasting wobble with no hands on the handlebars, I still have it. However, every motorcycle I have ever owned has had it too. I always thought that was the nature of the beast. I have owned twenty motorcycles over the past 40 years and can not remember one that would not wobble once in a while under those circumstances.
Well I could not make my VTX or my brothers GL 1500 wobble as hard as I tried but my GL1800 was terrible. Also tried to make my friends new Stratoliner wobble, all rock steady.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Johnnyva said:
If the wobble you are referring to is the 35-45 mph deceleration/coasting wobble with no hands on the handlebars, I still have it. However, every motorcycle I have ever owned has had it too. I always thought that was the nature of the beast. I have owned twenty motorcycles over the past 40 years and can not remember one that would not wobble once in a while under those circumstances.
Well I could not make my VTX or my brothers GL 1500 wobble as hard as I tried but my GL1800 was terrible. Also tried to make my friends new Stratoliner wobble, all rock steady.
I have the spring upgrade and antidive disable and still have the wobble.I have and had the all-balls sitting on the shelve for about three months.As much difference the springs made,I really haven't been to concerned about the wobble.When I finally have had enough I will install the all-balls and feel confident it will get rid of the wobble.Also I have heard if you install the springs you need to drop the forks in the triple trees 10mm.Haven't done that yet,but may try it and see if I like it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do heavier springs in front and disabling the AD stop the front tire from cupping?

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Re: Traxxion AK-20 Cartridge Kit vs Traxxion Springs & W

jeff4912 said:
Does anyone have the answer to this.

Will just installing the Traxxion springs($124) get rid of the wobble as they claim the entire AK-20 cartridge ($995 plus installation) does?

Thanks.
My experience says a $38 set of head bearings will get rid of the wobble!
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =240308882

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
jeff4912 said:
Do heavier springs in front and disabling the AD stop the front tire from cupping?

NO but it will help. 41 lbs of air will do wonders also if it hasn't started cupping yet.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Reducing cupping is a matter of suspension compliance, meaning that the suspension keeps weight on the tire in contact with the road rather than bouncing causing weighting and unweighting. Firmer springs are just part of the formula. Better compression and rebound damping are also needed. Springs alone will not improve that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did the spring only and all balls install. No more wobble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts