GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had the Traxxion rear shock and Traxxion front springs on for two years. I have never gotten the wonderful performance that so many others are happy with.

We've tried preload settings from 0 all the way to 20. Our problems are that no matter what the setting potholes send the passenger flying and expansion joints and wrinkles in the road make the forks feel like a rigid piece of steel. The anti-dive is disabled.

Strangely, about once a month, when the temperature is in the low 70s, the suspension feels great. Later it turns the bike back into a bucking bronco.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
791 Posts
It sounds like either your antidive is still engaging or there is debris clogging the compression cartridge in the right fork leg. Increasing rear pre load will only make the ride harsher. There are a couple of washers and a spring on the left side damper rod which should also be removed to disable the antidive.

Pete

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Pete -

Oh man, that makes me feel stupid. I thought that just cutting off the plunger would do it.

I'll remove those components before I take the bike in to have the fork seal replaced.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Putting just springs on only helps set up the forks and shock for the weight of you, a passenger and any load you place on the motorcycle. This helps the bike handle the bumps, but doesn't control how the bike responds to the bumps.

The next step is to get the compression and rebound damping sorted, when set right, you should have a smooth controlled ride over bumpy washboard surfaces.

Without the compression and rebound adjusted to your springs, you'll get exactly what you are describing, being pogo'd out of your seat.

You are only halfway there with the springs.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hi Pete -

Oh man, that makes me feel stupid. I thought that just cutting off the plunger would do it.

I'll remove those components before I take the bike in to have the fork seal replaced.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, I think only those who have installed the Race Tech emulator might be aware of that. Race Tech calls for removal of those components to disable antidive.

Pete

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Interesting....
I did not know that disabling the anti-dive was a part of converstion to Traxxion....

Is is so?

If yes - I would think it should have been done by the Traxxion installer, no?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I have the 1.2 Traxxion springs up front which I feel are too much so Motovation is swapping them for 1.1 springs,I had the the same problem with my 02 wing,stock front end and going to 1.1 springs was a major improvement

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Bob,

That's wonderful. I'll call them and see how much a swap will cost.

When they put in my shocks, the front end was *way* up in the air - it was great - but the front end was too rough. They cut down a spacer, so it sits lower now. Maybe with the 1.1 springs I'll get that clearance back.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
.. I thought that just cutting off the plunger would do it. ..
99.9 times out of 100, that will disable the AD... actually, I've never heard of it "not" doing it.

Try this...
.. at a slow speed (15-20 mph) slightly depress the foot brake
and then "pump" the handlebar brake.
(do this on a nice dry level road... no gravel please)

Now,
Can you "rock" the front end?
.. that is, can you make the front end oscillate up and down like a "normal" bike?

If you can rock it, the AD is disabled.

If you cannot rock the front end,
... that is, the bike stays level as you pump the brake,
then the AD is stuck or, for some reason, still working.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hi Bob,

That's wonderful. I'll call them and see how much a swap will cost.

When they put in my shocks, the front end was *way* up in the air - it was great - but the front end was too rough. They cut down a spacer, so it sits lower now. Maybe with the 1.1 springs I'll get that clearance back.
I was able to swap them myself by just removing the caps but I won't try it with my current setup.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Interesting....
I did not know that disabling the anti-dive was a part of converstion to Traxxion....

Is is so?

If yes - I would think it should have been done by the Traxxion installer, no?
Icing, the antidive works with the damper rod in the left fork. When the Traxxion cartridges are installed, all that crap is tossed, and there is nothing left for the antidive to work on.
If you are just doing springs, then the AD can be disabled by cutting the plunger, or spacing it out.
As a Traxxion installer, I would certainly have a talk with my customer as to his wishes for the antidive, strongly recommending that it go away.

Putting just springs on only helps set up the forks and shock for the weight of you, a passenger and any load you place on the motorcycle. This helps the bike handle the bumps, but doesn't control how the bike responds to the bumps.

The next step is to get the compression and rebound damping sorted, when set right, you should have a smooth controlled ride over bumpy washboard surfaces.

Without the compression and rebound adjusted to your springs, you'll get exactly what you are describing, being pogo'd out of your seat.

You are only halfway there with the springs.
Chris: :agree:

The rebound and compression damping just aren't right on a stock Goldwing, especially one with some miles on it. The springs only serve to hold the suspension in or near the middle of it's travel, so the damping mechanism can work.

Rick, if you have the Goldvalves, and they are properly installed, You should have a solution that is reasonably valid. I do find that setting the GV up properly is a pain, because they are not externally adjustable. You need to take the forks apart if you want to fine tune something. Also, the Traxxion fork springs will not necessarily be right for a RaceTech bike, unless you trim the spacers to get the right preload. I used RaceTech springs, which are a little lighter (1000 lb vs 1100 or 1200 lb) and I used 15 weight oil in the damper side and 5 weight in the cartridge side. I get a great ride, perhaps a little plusher but not quite as crisp as a Traxxion full monty.

You might take a good look at your shock. A Traxxion shock should have solved the problem of the airborne passenger. I have seen a couple recently that had leaked, and provided about the same damping as a pogo-stick. If you have the shock-sock, you might not see anything under the bike. Crawl under there, and run your finger around the borrom of the shock and the mounting clevis. If you get greasy, you probably have an issue.

A damper rod suspension doesn't react well to high-amplitude bumps. It does OK for long dips, whoop-de-do type things, but short rapid quick rise bumps, like joints,wrinkles, or a 2 x 4 will overwhelm the suspensions ability to react quickly. A modern cartridge can spill the fluid much faster because it uses flexible shims that can respond instantly. The RaceTech solution offers the shim-stack type of damping control, but uses most of your original components. If you installed RaceTech and your forks are still jarring you on the quick little bumps, I think you need to remove a shim or 2, and maybe turn the spring down a turn or so. If you haven't installed Racetech or Traxxion, that's your problem with the front end. Damper rods by their nature don't deal well with the type of bumps you are complaining about.

By the way, with either RT or Trax, the antidive is automatically disabled when the installation is done, you don't need to cut or space the plunger. Removing the springs and washers at the bottom of the damper rod does it, as does removing the whole damper rod.

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Increasing rear pre load will only make the ride harsher. Pete
This a VERY common misconception, that even Max and some of the folks at Traxxion were propagating until I (after a looong series of emails) finally got them straightened out.

Increasing the rear "preload" just rasises the starting point for the travel. It does NOT preload the spring (except when fully topped out) AND since the GL1800 has a Progresseve linkage - the ratio of wheel travel to spring/shock movement (which is what determines stiffness/hasrshness) is greater in the intial (higher) part of the travel.

Thus increasing the "preload" actually makes the bike ride softer and be less likely to bottom.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Hi, I've had the Traxxion rear shock and Traxxion front springs on for two years. I have never gotten the wonderful performance that so many others are happy with.

We've tried preload settings from 0 all the way to 20. Our problems are that no matter what the setting potholes send the passenger flying and expansion joints and wrinkles in the road make the forks feel like a rigid piece of steel. The anti-dive is disabled.

Strangely, about once a month, when the temperature is in the low 70s, the suspension feels great. Later it turns the bike back into a bucking bronco.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Brown !

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
This a VERY common misconception, that even some of the folks at Traxxion were propagating until I (after a looong series of emails) finally got them straightened out.

Increasing the rear "preload" just rasises the starting point for the travel. It does NOT preload the spring (except when fully topped out) AND since the GL1800 has a Progresseve linkage - the ratio of wheel travel to spring/shock movement (which is what determines stiffness/hasrshness) is greater in the intial (higher) part of the travel.

Thus increasing the "preload" actually makes the bike ride softer and be less likely to bottom.
This is all very confusing to most including me,my ride does get harsh when I increase preload even though the opposite should be true

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,

The Antidive was disabled at about 50K or so. I think I put in the Traxxion rear/RT with Traxxion springs up front - about 25-35K miles ago (I'm at 115K).

Dang, this reminded me - I'm over 100K but never submitted the odometer photo...

Thanks to all - this is going to take trial-n-error.

May you ride well 'n often - Rick

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Icing, the antidive works with the damper rod in the left fork. When the Traxxion cartridges are installed, all that crap is tossed, and there is nothing left for the antidive to work on.
If you are just doing springs, then the AD can be disabled by cutting the plunger, or spacing it out.
As a Traxxion installer, I would certainly have a talk with my customer as to his wishes for the antidive, strongly recommending that it go away.

=Dave=

Thanks, Dave!
I just double-checked with my installer and yes, with the cartriges he automatically takes the anti-dive out of the picture.
I just never really thought of it.....

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
There are a couple of washers and a spring on the left side damper rod which should also be removed to disable the antidive.

Pete
First I have heard of that.

prs

1 - 20 of 55 Posts