GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I asked the members here what they thought of the Kuryakyn Front Fork Brace.....8 out of 10 said it is worthless hype, wasn't needed, or didn't work.

Well...guess what....the owner of Traxxion Dynamics puts a Kuryakyn Fork Brace on EVERY single Goldwing front fork upgrade he builds!!

He has the proof that it works, and improves the handling of the Goldwing after extensive internal modifications of the fork tubes.....he has a video out just posted here that shows him talking about it.

So...I think a man who makes his living doing suspension and performance upgrades must know what he is talking about...he has invested thousands of dollars in CNC equipment for his shop......and I haven't heard of a single Goldwing owner leaving his shop dissatisfied after spending close to $1,500.00 for his kit, labor, and re-work.

So, just maybe there is a positive result in the addition of the front fork brace afterall....any comments??????

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Basspro said:
....any comments??????
Do they give it to you or are you charged the almost $200 for it! :roll: Think about it! Maybe their upgrade needs the brace, maybe it doesn't, but a extra $70 profit on each set of forks ain't bad either.

FYI... I tried the Super Brace on the stock 1800 forks. It was a waste as far as I'm concerned. :(

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
g

After spending that much money it better be better!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
"So, just maybe there is a positive result in the addition of the front fork brace afterall....any comments??????"

Buy one & install it,,,that way you can be the judge....

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
How perfect does it have to get, before it is perfect?

Damn, it is a two wheeled piece of transportation. Made to ride in the elements and have fun. Yup, sun, heat, cold, wind, rain.

When does the search for Nirvana end?

I guess i just might be in the minority here. But my Wing is fine the way it is.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,094 Posts
I think most who said the fork brace is a waste of money was talking about the Superbrace. The Superbrace is a one piece design that doesn't take in account that the tolerances between different production forks can be slighty different between two different set of forks. The one piece Superbrace can and does cause fork binding. I tried the Superbrace on my bike for 1000 miles and although the bike steering did feel a bit tighter in slow speed turns, my bike with the Superbrace simply did not ride as plush with the Superbrace as it did without the Superbrace. The slight improvement in the low speed steering wasn't worth the stiffer ride for me. Since Superbrace had a 30 day money back guarantee that you would like the Superbrace or your money back, I sent it back to Superbrace for a refund.

The Kury fork braces which is adjustable seems like it would be the way to go if you wanted a fork brace since it will adjust to the forks unlike the Superbrace that makes the forks adjust to the brace. I going to try the Kury fork brace on my Traxxion Wing when I get the money.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree with RED but

once I did the full bore front and rear, it didn't seem right not carrying it all the way.
Its kind of like being tight with tissue paper. If you pinch back on the amount of tissue U use, sooner or later your thumb is going to break through :oops:
Was riding this weekend after several thousands of miles since the transformation and still smiling.
Traxxion is like Gerbing. You walk out saying what the hell was I thinking. Five miles later, damn I can't believe I waited so long. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is an additional $200.00 to the package price

No Red it is not free...they add it to the package and do not charge any labor for putting it on.

I guess every little thing that can be done to tweak it .....helps.....

I know when I hold my handlebars on mine and shake them left to right and back.....there seems to be looseness or a wobble just standing still.

Something seems amis.......so if rigidity brings the tubes in tune with one another.....it has to be an improvement.

I can't believe Honda after all the years of making the Goldwing.....has such a cheap way of putting the front forks together.

Seems they would spend a little more time engineering an improvement into an already wonderful motorcycle...and make it a Rolls Royce instead of the Cadillac it is.

The last poster from South Carolina pretty much summed it up....couldn't believe he waited this long after driving his wing just 5 miles getting it out of Traxxion's Shop.

Enough said!

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Re: It is an additional $200.00 to the package price

Basspro said:
Enough said!
You asked for comments. You got and will get more comments!

Here's another comment or in my case, a opinion. I think it's a great big waste of money to 99% of the people that buy into this suspension upgrade. Most of these same people wouldn't know the difference if they just changed fork oil and placed new OEM springs in the bike from what Traxion does.

I've ridden Wings for a few years. If the suspension is stiff, they want it soft. If the exhaust has some sound to it, they want it silent. Most I've been around the last 26 yrs get ridden like they were a car!

If you get the new suspension I hope you enjoy it. In the future if you don't want comments, don't ask for them. LOL...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Oh boy, this thread could get ugly pretty quick. I have one thing to say, If you ever ride a Wing with the Traxxion upgrade you will be very dissapointed when you get back on your stock bike. Red, in a way you are correct that for most people the stock setup is sufficent, but the other people that want a better handling bike there is a solution out there, its called Traxxion. Max did a great job of explaining how the fork braces work. Even had specs that showed the movement of your forks with and without the brace. Even different brands. I never put one on because I was skeptic of the hype myself. After a professional explained it to me it made sense. I put on the Kury brace and I could tell a difference in the slow speed manner.
Lets dont knock another persons product unless you have had first hand experience with it. I think thats only fair. I wont come on here and say Amsoils air filter is a waste of money because I have never experienced a bike with one on it, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,094 Posts

Red said:
Here's another comment. I think it's a great big waste of money to 99% of the people that buy into this suspension upgrade. Most of these same people wouldn't know the difference if they just changed fork oil and placed new OEM springs in the bike from what Traxion does.

I guess everyone who has done the suspension upgrades and has reported the results here on this forum are wrong, huh Red? Maybe you should ride a Traxxion Wing before you make comments on the suspension upgrades, so at least you will know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Red said:
Basspro said:
Enough said!
You asked for comments. You got and will get more comments!

Here's another comment or in my case, a opinion. I think it's a great big waste of money to 99% of the people that buy into this suspension upgrade. Most of these same people wouldn't know the difference if they just changed fork oil and placed new OEM springs in the bike from what Traxion does.

I've ridden Wings for a few years. If the suspension is stiff, they want it soft. If the exhaust has some sound to it, they want it silent. Most I've been around the last 26 yrs get ridden like they were a car!

If you get the new suspension I hope you enjoy it. In the future if you don't want comments, don't ask for them. LOL...
That's what I like about you Red is ur honest opinions. What you are saying is very true but that's just my opinion, too. I know I don't have to tell you not to change.
I'm one of the ones that does use my bike in the twisties. I had already replaced two sets of pegs feeler in less than 4000 miles on the bike. With the Traxxion suspension I'm saving all kind of bucks. Now my feeler replacements have been cut in two :wink:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts

Red said:
I suppose that makes me a 1 percenter...? :?
A Traxxion bike compared to a stock bike is like a Mini Cooper S JCW compared to a Corolla. You're right; in a nice mellow blue-haired Florida community, it's a waste of money.
Save your money for the early birds. Clip a coupon too.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
the AK-20 upgrade is worth it...every penny, as well as the fork brace IMO. the brace helps a lot with slow speed manuevers. Not like you can't
do without it.....but $200 is not a lot of money, and Iwant the best stuff on my ride. If you are a rider, and like good performance Traxxion is the ticket, and it is VERY noticable on a bike.......if you're a rider......I mean a RIDER! Not that you have to be, but your less likely to appreciate it if you're a cruiser......like looking for coupons, and going to DQ.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
The first thing I noticed after getting Traxxion [front only, with the Superbrace] was that the feeling I always had of sliding forward in the saddle disappeared. The next thing I noticed was the wobble had gone. When I finally got the chance, I found out how much better it handled in the twisties.

Perhaps Trialsman will reply here. He thought that the cost far outweighed the benefit for him since he was more of a distance rider...straight roads or gentle curves, taking it easy in the north Georgia mountains. That is until he tried Traxxion's demo bike. Once he put the whole suspension in, he found out he no longer needed to use the Airhawk seat pad on his Iron Butt rides. He also found himself going faster in the twisties without even thinking about it.

Try to find a negative post about Traxxion from anyone who has had it done. I've never seen one. I will make only one negative comment. The upgrade will not prevent the 1800 from being totaled when crashing into drivers who pull out in front of you. :wink: It will be one of the first installs when I get a new wing. Maybe Max will offer coupons by then. Certainly the cost should be much lower since by the time I'll be able to get one, all the R&D costs should be recouped. :lol:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More comments...on Fork Brace et al.....

Dan your comments are spot on! Thanks for giving us a first hand impression based on the unit installed in YOUR bike and YOUR feeling the changes in the before and the after.......

The Traxxion Suspension Upgrade is the difference between a Shetland Pony, and a Racehorse...there is NO comparison.....as you said if you want to cruise at 40 mph over to the Dairy Queen and never try to straighten out a curve in North Georgia mountains...stock is fine for the old timer who can't twist the throttle too much for fear of getting a ticket or falling off!

The man who buys a $25,000.00 Goldwing wants the untimate motorcycle riding experience.....Added Chrome, CB, high performance lights, air bag, ABS, ISO grips, upgraded saddle, and CD all ad to the riding experience of having the wind in your face....and enjoying your machine.....every one of us is a tinkerer somewhat...and always looking for that special upgrade or part to make the bike better......

So, if an upgrade in handling performance costs a few bucks to get what you want....what the hell...it only costs 10% more to go first class.....the other alternative is NO CLASS!!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who make things happen, those who watch things happen......and those who wonder....."What the Hell Happened"?

If the shoe fits....wear it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
From the folks that have had the Traxion upgrade, all that I have heard are glowing reports. So there has to be some value to the upgrade.

I am just not sure that I would notice the difference. I don't ride hard. And I don't feel all that sluggish on my stock set up either.

If 100 people get the up-grade and 99 report a solid difference, that is good enough for me.

As I have always said "If you like it, I love it".
I would never knock a manufacturers product without having tried it first. And since I am a stocker, I can't comment one way or the other.

Bulldog

·
Registered
501 Posts
Bulldog said:
From the folks that have had the Traxion upgrade, all that I have heard are glowing reports. So there has to be some value to the upgrade.

I am just not sure that I would notice the difference. I don't ride hard. And I don't feel all that sluggish on my stock set up either.

If 100 people get the up-grade and 99 report a solid difference, that is good enough for me.

As I have always said "If you like it, I love it".
I would never knock a manufacturers product without having tried it first. And since I am a stocker, I can't comment one way or the other.

Bulldog
A very good approach to your thinking.
To put icing on the cake, I really thought my highway ride would suffer some or a lot. I made the decision that if it did, it did. I knew I would be happy in the twisties. To my surprise the highway improved greatly.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Bulldog said:
How perfect does it have to get, before it is perfect?

Damn, it is a two wheeled piece of transportation. Made to ride in the elements and have fun. Yup, sun, heat, cold, wind, rain.

When does the search for Nirvana end?

I guess i just might be in the minority here. But my Wing is fine the way it is.

Bulldog
Maybe we are in the minority but I have to agree with you. My only wobble issue was a bad "rear" tire. When my tires get ready to replace I notice a very little wobble "if I remove my hands from the handlebars".

Like I said before, If I have to spend that much money after I already spent what I did to purchase this "fine" machine than maybe the lawsuit has some merits.... Just a thought. Read Max's front page and he so much as tells you what Honda built for a front end is not good enough. He is a business man and this is known as advertisement. If you are going to sell something you have to give a purchaser a reason to buy it. Plain and simple.

If I ever have any handling issues with this bike as long as it is under warranty it will go back to the dealer where it was purchased. They have taken good care of the problems I have had up to this time and I have all the confidence they would take care of a handling issue as well.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Bulldog said:
I am just not sure that I would notice the difference.
Come on down to Wingstock next year, try out their demo and you will. And I'll buy you lunch at Rib Country in the middle of a fine Georgia mountain ride. [You still might not care, but it's worth the trip just for the ribs. :wink: ]

1 - 20 of 200 Posts