GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got the complete traxxion setup that they offer for my 01 with 38 k. the bike is totally different in all handeling charatistics, it is just simply unbelevable. i rode up to woodstock from home,job was completed in six hours, rode out and went to the gap to dial it in for three days, i had to learn how to sling her around those twisties all over. so if anybody is pondering the idea of doing the up grade just do it,you will not regret, it is worth every dollar spent.

Ride On,
Flatlander Express.
Trplsea

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Good job my friend. That system is amazing isnt it? Its like you just shaved 300 lbs off your bike.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I think instead of plunking down what they charge for a suspension upgrade ... I would buy a new bike and use that money for a down payment plus my old bike...

cosmic

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I think instead of plunking down what they charge for a suspension upgrade ... I would buy a new bike and use that money for a down payment plus my old bike...

cosmic
And then you'll end up with the same problem only on a new bike. I had my entire system done on my '01 the week of Wingtock and it is like getting a brand new bike. It is simply amazing the difference it makes. I have 74,000 km's on mine and have no intention, in fact no need, for a new bike.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
RRIXX said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
And then you'll end up with the same problem only on a new bike. I had my entire system done on my '01 the week of Wingtock and it is like getting a brand new bike. It is simply amazing the difference it makes. I have 74,000 km's on mine and have no intention, in fact no need, for a new bike.
Only problem with plunking down that much money on upgrades... simply is... if you wreck your bike or its stolen.. even if you decide to sell it.. you get ZERO for the upgrades.. for my money.. I'll buy a new bike and that way I don't ride an older outdated motorcycle...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Just because it's new doesn't make it handle better. All 1800's share the same "outdated" and lacking suspension. So if you want it to handle well in the twisties, or handle better in general, then you gotta plop down some dough. It was worth it to me for the added handling performance and the added safety that came along with it. If I get a new bike....I plop down the dough....simple.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
Only problem with plunking down that much money on upgrades... simply is... if you wreck your bike or its stolen.. even if you decide to sell it.. you get ZERO for the upgrades.. for my money.. I'll buy a new bike and that way I don't ride an older outdated motorcycle...

cosmic
Using that line of thinking you had better not add any after market accessories whatsoever to your new bike. All of that said, if you have your heart set on a new bike, more power to you. Have you decided on colour yet? I haven't even seen the '07 colours but I hear they're sharp. Good luck on your choice and post a pic when you get it. I'm not one to upgrade my bikes very often. That luxury seems to go to my cars.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,127 Posts
Not me, if I were buying another Wing I would buy a nice used one and with the money saved over buying a new one, I would then upgrade the suspension. There just isn't enough differences between the new 06 and 07 models and the 01 to 05 models for me.

I went for a ride yesterday with my friend who has a new 06 with around 7000 miles on it. My 03 has 33,000 miles but has the Traxxion suspension front and back and we traded bikes for a bit on the ride. Both bikes felt very nice just ridng down a straight highway, but throw in a high speed bumpy corner on a exit ramp and my 03 with 4 times the mileage as the 06, felt like the newer bike with a noticeable increase in ground clearance with a tighter, more precise feel in the steering.

I have also experenced a increase in front tire life with very little if any tire cupping with the suspension upgrade. I just replaced my front tire with 18000 miles on it, the tire was worn down to the wear bars but was still nice and round with no cupping. My friends 06 with only 7000 miles is showing quite a bit of front tire cupping and I doubt he will get much over 10 to 11K miles out of it. Here is a picture of my front tire with 18000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
steve s said:
Just because it's new doesn't make it handle better. All 1800's share the same "outdated" and lacking suspension. So if you want it to handle well in the twisties, or handle better in general, then you gotta plop down some dough. It was worth it to me for the added handling performance and the added safety that came along with it. If I get a new bike....I plop down the dough....simple.
not. its easy to transfer the forks then you can sell your old bike that hase new forks on it

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
steve s said:
Thats why I upgraded my '06...even before it had 600 miles on it...WOW you gotta spend the money...It's worth it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Roadie said:
Not me, if I were buying another Wing I would buy a nice used one and with the money saved over buying a new one, I would then upgrade the suspension. There just isn't enough differences between the new 06 and 07 models and the 01 to 05 models for me.

I went for a ride yesterday with my friend who has a new 06 with around 7000 miles on it. My 03 has 33,000 miles but has the Traxxion suspension front and back and we traded bikes for a bit on the ride. Both bikes felt very nice just ridng down a straight highway, but throw in a high speed bumpy corner on a exit ramp and my 03 with 4 times the mileage as the 06, felt like the newer bike with a noticeable increase in ground clearance with a tighter, more precise feel in the steering.

I have also experenced a increase in front tire life with very little if any tire cupping with the suspension upgrade. I just replaced my front tire with 18000 miles on it, the tire was worn down to the wear bars but was still nice and round with no cupping. My friends 06 with only 7000 miles is showing quite a bit of front tire cupping and I doubt he will get much over 10 to 11K miles out of it. Here is a picture of my front tire with 18000 miles on it.

Hello 709 is a GREAT tire mine went 20,000 on stock sus. chuck

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
If I wanted a bike to do twisties.. it sure would not be a Wing... there are lots of other choices that out handle the Wing 100 to 1.. I bought my Wing for riding comfort... not to try to see how far I can lean it over before its too far ! but if thats your "thing" do what ever blows your skirt up....

cosmic

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,127 Posts
The Bridgestone G709 is a great front tire that is superior to the stock D250 that Honda puts on it, makes you wonder why Honda doesn't use Bridgestones anymore.

Glad to hear you are getting great mileage as well with the G709. At 18,000 miles the tire still looked good and I thought I might get another 2000 miles out of it, but when it slipped for the first time in a curve on a wet road I decided it was time for a new one. It was quite unnerving to feel the bikes front end slide a bit at 40mph :)

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
How would this setup work on a trike?????

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Traxxion setup is not just for twisties. It is just more comfortable and controllable in all situations. It is much more stable in slow speed U-turns, corners. Smoother on freeway plates and much, much smoother on poorly paved secondary roads that I would have completely avoided before.

Yesterday, I had a good test for the elimination of the anti-dive valve which is no longer needed because the Traxxion forks don't dive. I was coming down a freeway overpass when the light turned yellow and I was under some heavy braking 2 up at at 40 mph when I hit a manhole with an inch or so square lip. Just a little thump. Barely felt it. That would have hammered me so hard before that I would have thought I bent the rim.

If one bought a new bike, one could either trade out the whole forks, or could swap out the insides if you wanted new tubes, bushings and seals.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If I bought a new Wing, I would have Traxxion installed before I take it out of the show room...I could not drive a Wing again the way it rides with the crappy stock suspension...I could get an inferiority complex doing that!

Thanks again Max and Mike for making my Wing ride so fun!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Roadie said:
The Bridgestone G709 is a great front tire that is superior to the stock D250 that Honda puts on it, makes you wonder why Honda doesn't use Bridgestones anymore.

Glad to hear you are getting great mileage as well with the G709. At 18,000 miles the tire still looked good and I thought I might get another 2000 miles out of it, but when it slipped for the first time in a curve on a wet road I decided it was time for a new one. It was quite unnerving to feel the bikes front end slide a bit at 40mph :)
I think (scary) the bike for export still use bridgstones (why I have NO idea???)????..chuck

·
Vendor
2,388 Posts
KYBLUE said:
How would this setup work on a trike?????
Yessir! We do have a trike specific spec for our AK-20 kit. We have not done anything with trike rears yet, as there are so many variations.

We have done trike with and without EZ-steer front ends.

:)

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
At one time I really wanted the Traxxion suspension done to my 02. Then I did some soul searching on if it was worth it in my case and decided its not. My 02 never spends less than a month a year in the shop, some years it’s been much more. When the extended warranty is gone so is this bike. If the best out, there for my needs, is still a wing the new or newer wing may very well get the up-grade. Until then I can’t justify spending the money on a bike I don’t intend to keep. Now if it was as dependable as my other ride I’d probably have no issue in spending the money on a 5 year old bike. Not everyone’s situation is the same by any means.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts