GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to mount a new front tire.

Does the Traxxion Fork Brace need to be removed in order to get the front and rear sections of the front fenders off?

The frork brace was installed by the local Traxxion dealer here in Phoenix, and has never been taken off since.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Does the Traxxion Fork Brace need to be removed in order to get the front and rear sections of the front fenders off?

The frork brace was installed by the local Traxxion dealer here in Phoenix, and has never been taken off since.

Thanks for your help!

The rear section of the fender does not need to be removed to remove the wheel. You do not need to remove the fork brace to remove the front tire.

Strap the center stand to one of the engine guards using a tie-down strap. You do not want the bike to come off the center stand with the front wheel off.

Just remove the front section of the fender (keep track of which bolt has the rubber washer on it - hint: it's the lower one). Then remove the two chrome caliper covers. You will then need to remove the two mounting bolts that hold the brake calipers on. Then loosen the two pinch bolts holding the axle on. Finally remove the nut on the right side of the axle (22mm socket) and pull the axle out. If you are having trouble insert a phillips screwdriver in the hole in the left side of the axle.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
In addition to what Ping Jockey said. On a 2004 you only need to remove the right front caliper (right as if you were sitting on bike). Yours could be different, but I doubt it. That being the case, there is no reason to remove the left side chrome plastic caliper cover.

Take care in torquing the bolts back to spec and in proper order.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
In addition to what Ping Jockey said. On a 2004 you only need to remove the right front caliper (right as if you were sitting on bike). Yours could be different, but I doubt it. That being the case, there is no reason to remove the left side chrome plastic caliper cover.

Take care in torquing the bolts back to spec and in proper order.
Richard my 08 ABS it the same way...

Also, I might add you can use some kind of jack under the front on your engine to lift her front wheel off the ground as much as you need. (Not much will do)

I always after installing my wheel and axle will bounce the front a couple of times and wild she down on the last bounce I will lock the brakes with a short bungee cord to center the wheel before I tighten every thing back up to spec...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Thanks for your help!
To answer your question...no. The fork brace can remain on the bike.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
There are viewers other then the OP and the OP needed to know those things anyway. When I remove front wheel, I remove the front section of the fender and the right caliper. I may, but not sure, remove the right side chrome fender guard, its one of those things you do without thinking about it, but then again, if the two caliper support bolts are accessible, no need to remove the cover.

We have previously discussed any need to loosen the center piece of the brace at wheel reinstall. Some say it is not needed, but I do so because I got a bind in my forks when I did not. No big deal, just loosen them; follow the bounce procedure and wheel install, and last re-tighten the center section.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts