GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took off the Kuryakyn brace and installed the Traxxion brace. Just for fun, I weighed them both. The Traxxion brace weighs about 1.5 lbs with the fork protectors installed. The Kuryakyn weighs about 2 lbs and that was without the lower fork protectors installed. So the Traxxion has about 30% less weight, which reduces unsprung wheel weight.

I did notice a cut out indentation on the bottom of the left side of the Traxxion brace, and you have to pay some attention when you are installing it so you install the brace installed in the correct orientation. There is also a cut out on the right side fork cap for the top of the delay valve.

The fork protectors are also better designed, and I actually like the alumium better than the chrome. Though I do think the Kuryakyn brace better fills the void around the fork leg left when you remove the chromed plastic center piece.

I haven't yet ridden with the Traxxion brace, but I really don't expect to be able to feel any differences between the two. The main advantages I see of the Traxxion brace are better fork protectors that aren't glued on, lighter weight, and no chrome to peel.

I am glad to see fork brace manufactures going away from two piece designs that cause binding.

I haven't tried, but it looks like it might be possible to modify (hack) the OEM plastic chrome piece and get it back on with the Traxxion brace installed.

I put up a photo gallery here if you want to see it.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/traxxionbrace

·
Registered
495 Posts
Leave it to Fred to show me how inept my mechanic skills really are. I put my Traxxion brace on several days ago (had not ridden with it since) and didn't realize I had put it on backwards. The two voids he shows in his photos were on the front of my brace. I actually wondered why it wouldn't go down quite as far as I thought it should... now I know why. Thanks Fred for all your help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
:clap2:

I just received my trax fork brace and fork protectors Saturday (ordered from Hal) and was planning on installation Monday after work. I noticed the indentations, but was unsure of which way they went. Now, thanks to these pictures I can expect installation to go a lot easier. Thanks again for the post and the pictures.

Darrel

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I dumped my Kury brace and replace it with Traxxion...I notice an increase of women whistling at me when I drive by...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I just checked mine. I had the notch in the brace correct, but the right cap was wrong.

I put it back together and was able to get the brace slightly lower.
When I removed the end caps the rear bolts had very little torque on them. I will check them after a few miles.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked mine. I had the notch in the brace correct, but the right cap was wrong.

I put it back together and was able to get the brace slightly lower.
When I removed the end caps the rear bolts had very little torque on them. I will check them after a few miles.
Any time you reinstall it or reposition it, be sure to loosen the center four bolts up so the brace can reset itself, and they should always be the last bolts you tighten up. This insures that the brace is not causing the forks to bind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts