GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with the Traxxon fork upgrade, what mileage do you use for service on the forks and struts. I have not checked with Traxxon yet re their recommendations just looking for what works for you.
Thanks
Bruce

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
For those with the Traxxon fork upgrade, what mileage do you use for service on the forks and struts. I have not checked with Traxxon yet re their recommendations just looking for what works for you.
Thanks
Bruce
The main reasons for servicing the Traxxion AK-20 equipped forks is to change the fork oil and fork bushings. The teflon wears off the lower bushings and then causes metal to metal contact between the bushing and lower half of the fork. This happens on the OEM unmodified Honda forks as well. Bushing wear is a bit hard to predict, I've seen some bikes with 40K miles on them and the bushing were still good, and I've seen others where the bushing was down to the brass in less than 20K miles. The only way to know is to pull them apart, and once you have gone to trouble to take them apart, you would be wise to just go ahead and replace the bushing while you are in there. You'll also need to replace the seals as well, because once you have taken it apart, you shouldn't reuse the old seals. It's also a good idea to flush out the AK-20 cartridges and cycle some clean fork oil through them to wash out any sediment in them. If you send them to Traxxion, they will take them apart and inspect them and clean up all the internal parts and rebuild them. If it were my bike, I'd do it about every 20K - 25K miles, and maybe ship the AK-20's off for a rebuild on every 2nd or 3rd rebuild cycle.

Owners of OEM forks should really be doing the same thing, because the bushings wear out and the fork oil, particularly in the left leg, get very contaminated, which accelerates wear on the forks.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I had almost 50,000 miles on my forks before I had the second fork service late last year. I was thinking "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I was sure as soon as I had them serviced, I would probably get a leak. When I did have them serviced in Woodstock, the tech couldn't believe how clean everything was. The oil was clean and there was very little wear on the bushings. It's been about 10K miles since that service and no leaks. :thumbup:

I believe Traxxion recommends 25K for the forks and 50K for the rear shock. Based on my most recent experience, I'm going to stick with 50K on both unless something drastic happens.

My $0.02...:shrug:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
The main reasons for servicing the Traxxion AK-20 equipped forks is to change the fork oil and fork bushings. The teflon wears off the lower bushings and then causes metal to metal contact between the bushing and lower half of the fork. This happens on the OEM unmodified Honda forks as well. Bushing wear is a bit hard to predict, I've seen some bikes with 40K miles on them and the bushing were still good, and I've seen others where the bushing was down to the brass in less than 20K miles. The only way to know is to pull them apart, and once you have gone to trouble to take them apart, you would be wise to just go ahead and replace the bushing while you are in there. You'll also need to replace the seals as well, because once you have taken it apart, you shouldn't reuse the old seals. It's also a good idea to flush out the AK-20 cartridges and cycle some clean fork oil through them to wash out any sediment in them. If you send them to Traxxion, they will take them apart and inspect them and clean up all the internal parts and rebuild them. If it were my bike, I'd do it about every 20K - 25K miles, and maybe ship the AK-20's off for a rebuild on every 2nd or 3rd rebuild cycle.

Owners of OEM forks should really be doing the same thing, because the bushings wear out and the fork oil, particularly in the left leg, get very contaminated, which accelerates wear on the forks.
I take mine to Paul Bihm every 25,000 to have it serviced. During the last change the bottom bushings were worn out and had to be replaced. The top were still okay and were left in the bike! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I had my trike serviced at 24,000 by Paul also. Teflon already worn off one side of bushings.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Fork bushings

I just serviced mine and it has been 25,000 miles since last service. There was still some teflon left but not much. I will be doing it again in 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Paul Bihm....Evansville, Indiana

Paul did a complete Traxxion on my 2010 several weeks ago, what a improvement! :lol:
Highly recommend Paul's work!
Chip

·
Registered
513 Posts
Paul did a complete Traxxion on my 2010 several weeks ago, what a improvement! :lol:
Highly recommend Paul's work!
Chip
Can I ask what a complete Traxxion entails, is that the forks and the rear shocks? What's an approximate cost?
I've got an 02' with about 54,000 miles on it that I might consider the Traxxion upgrade in the future. I did upgrade
the forks with Progressive springs a few years ago.

Is there someone in the Kansas City area that performs Taxxion upgrades (for anyone who knows)?

Bryan

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Can I ask what a complete Traxxion entails, is that the forks and the rear shocks? What's an approximate cost?
I've got an 02' with about 54,000 miles on it that I might consider the Traxxion upgrade in the future. I did upgrade
the forks with Progressive springs a few years ago.

Is there someone in the Kansas City area that performs Taxxion upgrades (for anyone who knows)?

Bryan
Here is Paul's website ... his phone number is listed. He can answer all your questions!!

http://midwestcustomcyclework.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts