GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have just the traxxion fork springs installed on their bike? I can't afford spending $1,200 to rebuild the entire forks right now. I would like to know how the bike handles with just replacing the springs and frok oil.

Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Front Springs

I've got the front springs only in my bike and they do make a marked difference. I bought the bike used and they were already in it. They soften the ride up quite a bit over the progressive I had in my other 1800 but still preform well even if I push the bike hard in the twisties. I rode the demo bike at Wingstock that had the whole upgrade and as soon as I have the coins I will be getting it done as well. BIG DIFFERENCE Hope this answers you question.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Are the springs in the "spring only" upgrade the same as the springs in the total upgrade? I wouldn't want to get the springs, then decide to do the whole upgrade and have to start over...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Springs

I have springs only and think they are a huge improvement.I think if you
get the whole upgrade they use what you already have installed.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have just the springs from Traxxion. I also have a Kury brace and All Balls. The springs make a huge difference. It is amazing what you get from just spending $120.00 dollars. They do NOT use the same springs if you were to go in later and do the full upgrade. They do however give you the credit for the springs that you previously purchased. Its a no brainer. Thanks to Max.

I am going to take my front forks to them this winter and have them do the full setup. Also while I have my tank off I am gonna do the rear. Just waiting for some constant bad weather for a week or so.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've done oil and springs on two sorta sport bikes I have and they alone do make a big difference (I used Traxxion, of course)

I have also used Racetech gold valve, Traxxion's springs and oil on a damper rod suspension like our wing's , it's almost like a good cartridge (not excellent like Traxxion AK20, but better than many factory cartridges)

I plan on doing the springs and oil up front, in back, springs and revalving the shock... good enough for the wing (if I want to ride like a sport rider, I'll use a bike made for that, not an 850 lb beast :)

One enhancement the Traxxion AK20 will give up front is better handling from excellent rebond and compression damping...example, carving leaned over on rough pavement (but refer to paragraph above for that type of riding)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I did replace the front and rear stock springs to traxxion springs only(not the up grade kit) and I did notice the big different in the ride and handling .when i replaced the springs,I ask for the heavy set springs((1500# total wieght cap.)
I also have the superbrace installed on forks
I am not into wild riding like toyo,arn butt bill and the others in that group.
the bottom line ,I am happy with setup for the money I spent.
I am going to install all bearing sometime this winter for a small wobble that is left ,before the tires start to cup
ride safe,
edmund

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the traxxion front springs and will get the race tech emulators later.the front springs make a big difference.The best setup i got right now for the twistes is a 2006fz1lol.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have already installed the All Balls bearings. That pretty much stopped the wobble. The front end just feels to mushy to me. I am also considering the Racetech Gold valve kit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I replaced Progressives with Traxxion (springs only) and love it. Much smoother over road cracks and jolts. Steering feels more responsive. I can't wait to do the rear and maybe some day the entire fork!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would really like to do the complete modification. I have so much in accessories like chrome wheels and a Bushtec trailer ( and many, many more things to numerous to mention) that I just can't lay down $1,200 right now.

·
Vendor
2,334 Posts
Hi Guys,

As far as raising the bike, comparing one brand to another, some of that is determined by how much preload the installer puts on the springs.

You can expect either brand to lift the front a good bit as compared to stock. Fortunately, the seat height won't change dramatically. You might notice the steering is a little heavier at low speed. I would suggest with a spring upgrade only, to try sliding the forks up in the clamps about 10mm, and you will find your steering gets lighter.

With our AK-20 kit, we actually shorten the forks internally about 3/8", and then we install them onto the bike about 3/8" lower. This helps maintain the original geometry, and light steering feel, while benefitting from significantly restored travel.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
sh4325 said:
Does anyone have just the traxxion fork springs installed on their bike? I can't afford spending $1,200 to rebuild the entire forks right now. I would like to know how the bike handles with just replacing the springs and frok oil.

Thanks!
I did the springs only. Old springs were week, suspension would bottom out. Ride is much better. No "jolts" over bumps. I highly recommend.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts