GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know several of you are waiting for my full review of the Traxxion forks so I thought I would post my initial impression.

I had an opportunity today to put some more miles on the Traxxion front end on a rather brisk ride on a variety of road types and speeds ranging from highway riding at around 80mph to some rough surface streets, and a few fast twisty country roads.

I don't know how many of you remember back when this board was new and the GL1800 had first come out, but this board was full of complaints about the rough feel of the front end and how small bumps really got transmitted up through the handlebars. I think over time folks have just become accustomed to it and accept it as "normal", as I don't hear that many complaints about it anymore.

Well, I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Traxxion upgrade completely eliminated that problem once and for all. I noticed it within a 100yds of pulling out of my driveway. The entire front end is much smoother and small bumps no longer get transmitted up through the bars. I have my GPS mounted on my handlebars, and I noticed that I can read it easier now, as it doesn't vibrate nearly as much as it used to. The whole front end seems to be planted to road better over bumps, yet the shock from impacts are less at the handlebars. The fork feels more compliant, with better overall damping and I can tell the front tire is maintaining contact with the road surface better over bumps.

I was a bit concerned about the fact that Traxxion disables the anti-dive valve, but after doing some rather hard braking runs, all those concerns have been put to rest. The bike dives very little on hard brake application and I also noticed that the front end does not lift as much when accelerating hard, which I assume is due to the better rebound control that the two new damping cartridges provide. I don't think I will miss that finicky anti-dive valve one little bit.

I have gained a small amount of ground clearance in the front, and the bike front end does not sink as much when pushed over hard in a corner. I seem to have gained a bit more lean angle before things start to scrape as a result. I can still (just barely) flat foot the bike (I am about 5-11 with a 30 inch inseam) but I can tell that it sits just a tad higher than it used to (by maybe 1/4 inch or so).

I have not installed the fork brace yet, as I want to do more testing on just the fork upgrade so I can try to quantify the changes the new springs and cartridges make by themselves. When I get done with that I will put on the Kuryakan fork brace and test it as well.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hardrock said:
Fred, did you drop the front down 10MM on the forks or set it at the top in the stock position?
Yes, I dropped it 10mm per Max's recommendations.

Bulldog said:
Bout time...LOL
Sorry it took so long. I'll do better next time, I promise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fred,

I have the complete Traxxion set up and spoke with Max before I reinstalled them.

I am 5' 9" tall with a 29" inseam. He said it would work for me the raise the forks 8mm up in the triple trees. It has worked well for me and should in theory make it steer quicker but probably not enough to tell any difference. I have read where you run your rear shock a 0-2, I do to when riding alone. If I run it any higher I have to be on my toes, damn short legs.

Have fun I think you will enjoy them, I sending mine back to get rebushed and updated--after 26,000 miles.

Roger

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Fred, it seems that everyone waits for your advice, Dang, I do too! Thanks for ALL, that you've done for "ME", and others!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've only ridden the new 07 100 miles with the Traxxion system.
But I can compare that with the years of the 02 with stock and progressive suspensions.
I have to second Fred's report. You say it well Fred, so I'll just tag along on your words.
I figured the lack of front end rise at acceleration was due to the bike having only sagged about an inch at rest, off the stand (instead of about 4 inches when stock :lol:).
DC

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John,

I had Progressive springs installed before.

Dream Catcher said:
I figured the lack of front end rise at acceleration was due to the bike having only sagged about an inch at rest, off the stand (instead of about 4 inches when stock :lol:).
DC
Good point. Since the bike does not sag as much it would make sense that it would also not lift as much on accel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Fred no doubt this has been asked before- but changing one at a time would you say forks first? THanks fir all your useful info. john

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fred,
Welcome to the full traxxion club. They just get better. I've had mine for over 20,000 miles now and love them.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Johnny Boy said:
no doubt this has been asked before- but changing one at a time would you say forks first?
I would upgrade the rear shock and install a set of Traxxion fork springs along with a fork oil change if the AK-20 kit is not in your budget.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Fred - thanks for the write-up. I am one of the ones who is very vocal about how poorly the Goldwing handles minor imperfections. I would love to have the new Traxxion upgrade if it wasn't so damn expensive, or if I thought I would keep the bike long enough to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I just got my Traxxion dvd. Looking forward to viewing it tonight.
I know you asked fred but, as far as the bearing torque goes, I do it by feel so it is always perfict. :wink:

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Tommy Gunn said:
Fred,
What are you torquing your steering head nut to?
I have been setting the steering head nut torque at 22.5ftlbs with the All Balls and have had good results. I tried setting them at 25ftlbs like most here recommend, but on my bike that was too tight and the bike felt like it wanted to wander at speed. 22.5ftlbs of torque feels much better with my bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As others have mentioned, thanks for your eval on the Traxxion set-up, Fred. Your advice and input is highly coveted.

This sounds like the perfect fit for me being a taller/larger rider. I've grown very leary of my Wing in the corners as of late. Just doesn't feel planted well enough for my piece of mind, (not just the 'Lops, either).

Doing the dismantle myself, (both front & rear), sounds extremely intimidating on such a modern bike. Just out of curiosity, how would you rate the complexity of this as a winter project, Fred? Say on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the SOB end of the scale. I'll have to double check certain DVD's that I own for amusement only, too. :wink:

Thanks again & look forward to extended feedback with/without the fork brace.

Ride safe!

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I set the bearings by feel and not by torque, but if I were going to use a torque setting, I think the above recommendation for 22.5 lbs on the All Balls bearings is probably about right.

Removing the forks is not that difficult to do yourself. You have to jack and support the front end and then remove the front wheel and entire front fender and plastic chrome pieces and unbolt the top half of the anti-dive valve and separate it from the lower half, and remove both calipers, delay valve, secondary master cylinder and some brackets from the forks that hold the brake lines and ABS wire on. This may sound like a lot of stuff, but all if it is basically just removing bolts. The only real trick is to remembering what bolts went where when you put it all back together.

Once you get all the hardware off the forks, you simply loosen the upper and lower pinch bolts and slide out the forks. It is all covered in the video as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm gonna go for it! Thanks, Fred! 8)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts