GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 year and 25,000 miles ago I had the Traxxion's AK20 front fork kit and rear shock & spring installed on my 06 GoldWing. This past Sunday I followed Traxxion advice and disassembled the forks and replaced the bushings, seals, and fluid. Prior to this service I had no fork problems or leakage I was just doing it because Traxxion recommended it. As I started the teardown I noticed just a slight trace of fork fluid on the slide tubes above the dirt seal indicating that things were still OK but seal replacement would be need in the future.

When I had originally received the forks back from Traxxion I also got a bag of my OEM parts that they had replaced in case I wished to remove the AK20 kit and go back to stock. In this bag was just 1 lower bushing so I assumed that it was the only one they replaced and it did show some wear as evidenced by the Teflon having been worn away in a couple of spots. Because of this I assumed (yes, I know what that word means) that the other three bushings would be the original ones and would probably be shot. I was very suprised to find that ALL the bushings showed no signs of wear. I replaced them anyways but will most likely extend my next fork service interval.

The only problem I encountered was in removing the bottom bolt that anchors the AK20 cartridge inside the lower fork housing. The bolt would turn but so did the cartridge and as a result it would not come apart. I had read about this but figured it would not happen to me because the forks had been assembled just one year ago by Traxxion. Once again I guessed wrong. I had to drive over to a friend of mine's shop and use his air wrench that spun fast enough loosen the bolt. I plan on having spare bolts on hand next time because I did not like the condition of the bolt head before removal and even less upon assembly but I didn't feel like having the bike down a week while I waited for parts.

I used a combination of the Honda Service Manual, Traxxion instuctions, and Fred H's entertainment DVD's to complete the work. In Fred's DVD he shows being able to pull down on the OEM internal spring by hand to gain access to the jam nut beneath the fork cap and I know I couldn't do that with the stronger Traxxion spring. I had purchase the GoldWing Service kit from Traxxion http://traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=GL-FSTK and felt it was well worth the money. You most definately need the spring compessing tool and the fork bleeding tool the rest you might be able to get away without but the whole kit makes the job a snap. The removal and installation of the jam nut & fork cap is much easier if you use some type clamping arrangement as opposed to having a helper push down on the spring. I used a rod thru the axle bolt hole and two ratching cargo straps to pull down on the spring compressing tool. I wrapped a towel around the slide tube to prevent scratching the tube.

I have only put 50 miles on the bike over Michigan's pothole filled roads but so far so good.

Ride Safe
Ken

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
If that ever happens again, you can just put the spring back in and put the cap on and the spring pressure will hold the cartridge still.

Or we have a cartridge holding tool we'll give you for free if it really won't come out.

But I would say that's a very very rare thing. So rare, I haven't heard of it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max
The fork caps were on when I tried to loosen the bottom bolt. The right came free right away but the left cartridge just spun without coming free. The air wrench got it out immediately. I will give you a call about the cartridge holding tool I think I want one for the next service.
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
883 Posts
But I would say that's a very very rare thing. So rare, I haven't heard of it.
Here is rare case #2 Max, had it happen to my Traxxion AK-20's....but then a "dealer" f*&%$ed mine up when they put it back together..............

Sleddog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts