GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2001 GL1800 at the Honda shop to do some maintenance and tire change out.

I have Traxxion front / back suspension upgrades done in 2008, and have not had any maintenance on it since it was installed about 25,000 miles ago.

I emailed Traxxion about this, but have not heard back.

One question I have is what weight fork oil should the forks have installed? 7 wt or 10 wt? Any particular brand to use, or what?

I wonder if the forks should be dismantled and bushings / seals inspected, and/or replaced as well?

Anyone want to chime in with recommendations? I did search and read last evening, and seems there are some different opinions.

Thanx.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx, RWOne ...

I'm familiar with Fred's stuff. We go back to 2001 and then some. I've been here off and on since the beginning in 2001.

I'm not much of a wrench having the mechanical ability of a bowling ball.

BTW, while I was posting the initial question, Dan from Traxxion emailed me with the instructions. I think I'll have the Honda shop ship the forks to Dan and have Traxxion do the maintenance. Should cost about $200 plus shipping and bushings/seals. Good price in my opinion.

Thanx for the reply.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CAC ... yeah, Dan sent me the link.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Traxxion recommends Maxima 125-150 suspension fluid in their forks. You'll need a spring compressor to remove the springs from the cartridges. I have a complete section on servicing Traxxion forks on disc # 18 of my video set. It isn't that hard to do if you've worked on cartridge type forks before. At your mileage, all you probably need is to change out the fluid, but it might also be a good idea to inspect the bushings for wear, which would mean separating the fork halves and replacing the seals.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You could also take / send the to Adam at Rocket Moto up in Hollis NH.. closer, probably same price, quicker turn around if you drive them up there.. BTW, he is a Traxxion authorized installer, and very experienced and detail oriented.

www.rocketmoto.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts