GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to go on a trip to Tennessee (motocampers.com) and while I was on it, stop by Traxxion and have them do the Full Monte - front and rear, but I had to cancel out my trip.
There is (or was?) a fellow up in Winsor CO who installs the Traxxion components. Do any of you have positive experience with him or others in Colorado?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Bob, while I don't know anything about them personally, you have to install at least 10 Traxxion systems before they'll list you on their website. And they are number 10, so they've been doing it for a while. Longer than we have since we are number 15 on the list.
Your other choices for authorized installers are Phoenix or Iowa.
A Traxxion install isn't a great deal of rocket science, it's mostly tedium and following the procedures properly. I would anticipate that they could get you set up in a few hours (we can do one in a day easy, or a couple of evenings) (unless the bike has a ton of aftermarket stuff on it..)
We have a bike in the shop right now that is like a Rubik's cube.. to get part A off, you need to remove part B. To remove part B, part C has to come off. To get part C off, you have to move parts D and E out of the way. To move D and E, you have to take part F off.. This has added hours and hours to a simple full monty.

I'm sure that if you call Traxxion and talk to Mike, he can give you the straight poop on them.

=Dave=

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Bob, while I don't know anything about them personally, you have to install at least 10 Traxxion systems before they'll list you on their website. And they are number 10, so they've been doing it for a while. Longer than we have since we are number 15 on the list.
Your other choices for authorized installers are Phoenix or Iowa.
A Traxxion install isn't a great deal of rocket science, it's mostly tedium and following the procedures properly. I would anticipate that they could get you set up in a few hours (we can do one in a day easy, or a couple of evenings) (unless the bike has a ton of aftermarket stuff on it..)
We have a bike in the shop right now that is like a Rubik's cube.. to get part A off, you need to remove part B. To remove part B, part C has to come off. To get part C off, you have to move parts D and E out of the way. To move D and E, you have to take part F off.. This has added hours and hours to a simple full monty.

I'm sure that if you call Traxxion and talk to Mike, he can give you the straight poop on them.

=Dave=
I might do that. This guy works out of his house and I've been up there before to see if he would be a potential Darkside tire changer, since he also does trike work.

I'm thinking of the cartridge on the forks, all balls and maybe a Traxxion rear shock. Minimum would be to do the Fred H fluid top-off on the rear shock.

About all I've done is to install Traxxion brake pads on front, Traxxion fork brace (I like fork braces) and Centramatic balancers. I did order Speedbleeders to do my ABS fluid because I'm slow and lazy and not a contortionist like Fred :p I usually do my own wrenching, but experience tells me that suspension work can be a PIA...

·
Registered
100 Posts
PM

Bob, I didn't want to hijack your thread, but I did have a question to ask you, so I sent you a PM. Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I had the front and rear done, Monty is very good. here is their web site:
http://www.necetrikes.com/

All of the problems with handling have been corrected!
That's what I wanted to hear. I really didn't want to ride to GA just to get bike worked on. Monty seems like a good guy from the little time I spent with him.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nece trikes did my Traxxion install and All-Balls steering head bearings. He did a good job in a reasonable amount of time. His prices were the same as the Traxxion web site.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I may be so bold......

After watching Fred H.'s videos and reading the service manual I was able to install the Trax front and rear shocks and springs, fork brace, rebuild the forks and a pile of other stuff without problem. I did buy a spring compressor for the rear shock and made several of my other tools but it was all straight forward.

I used nothing but my old Craftsman tool set and their red MC lift.

It took two weeks of my spare time but I saved pile of cash and the results are quite good after 600 miles. As in zero problems:lol: never had that from the Honda shop.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If I may be so bold......

After watching Fred H.'s videos and reading the service manual I was able to install the Trax front and rear shocks and springs, fork brace, rebuild the forks and a pile of other stuff without problem. I did buy a spring compressor for the rear shock and made several of my other tools but it was all straight forward.

I used nothing but my old Craftsman tool set and their red MC lift.

It took two weeks of my spare time but I saved pile of cash and the results are quite good after 600 miles. As in zero problems:lol: never had that from the Honda shop.
Sure, other than the parts you need to work on are buried in the middle of a complex motorcycle, there's nothing really technical about any of this. (I've been seeing a lot of your posts, and you certainly seem to have a good understanding of Wings :congrats: )
The rear shock is mostly grunt work, and you do need a spring compressor. (start with an empty gas tank... makes life a LOT easier) The first time I needed a shock, I let someone else do it, rather than buy a tool I would use one time, then store in my shop forever. (little did I know...) At this point, I can do a shock in and out (no preload adjustor rebuild) in about 3 hours, give me another 30 minutes for the line swap and rebuild.
The stem bearings are pretty easy, just more grunt work mostly. But there are a couple of tools that make life A LOT easier. A race remover, a stem nut tool, a torque wrench, a set of race drivers and a bearing driver of the right size help a lot. Once I have the stem in my hand, I can have it back in the bike in maybe a half hour max. If you don't have the right tools, life gets much harder, and you run more risk of damaging something.
The forks are a standard rebuild, unless you install the AK-20s, then Traxxion really wants to have a factory trained installer handle it, because there is the possibility of screwing up your front end, and that could be kind of dangerous.... So I'm a little unclear, did you install the AK-20s in the front end, or did you just do the springs and a fork rebuild?
I always thought that if a job requires a bunch of special one-time-use tools, I'd rather put the money I'd've spent on the tools towards having a pro do it, and getting it done quickly and right. If I have to spend $300 on the tools, and I can get the job done for $400, let someone else do it. OTOH, if the tool is $50 and the job is $1,000 and I can do it, that's another thought. You also have to factor in the time it would take you to go through the install yourself, which will take much longer for you than for someone who has done this a couple of dozen times of more. It's riding season, and I wouldn't want my bike hung up for a week or 2, or more, while I worked my way through the learning curve.
I can't speak for other Traxxion installers, but we have had a couple of people locally who wanted to do their own work. We have duplicates of most of the special tools, and/or didn't need them for a few days, so we loaned out the tools that were needed, and the customer did his own removal and re-installation. We installed the AK-20s, and did his preload adjustor and installed it on the new shock for him. He bought the parts from us, we did the parts that either we had to do by Traxxion's request, or were just easier for us to do. He saved money, I didn't have to do a lot of repetitive grunt work, everyone was a winner.

=Dave=\Rocketmoto.com
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I might do that. This guy works out of his house and I've been up there before to see if he would be a potential Darkside tire changer, since he also does trike work.

I'm thinking of the cartridge on the forks, all balls and maybe a Traxxion rear shock. Minimum would be to do the Fred H fluid top-off on the rear shock.

About all I've done is to install Traxxion brake pads on front, Traxxion fork brace (I like fork braces) and Centramatic balancers. I did order Speedbleeders to do my ABS fluid because I'm slow and lazy and not a contortionist like Fred :p I usually do my own wrenching, but experience tells me that suspension work can be a PIA...
Bob, there are a lot of members of the Goldwing service community who don't have traditional retail (expensive) type locations. I can think of several just around here, including Rocket Moto. We'd rather be able to keep our hourly rate a little lower than pay a retail / commercial rent. And we are specialized enough that a retail location won't help us much. Those who are looking for and can appreciate our services seem to find us. (This has really cut into our riding time. Like, we haven't been out this year.) We've had 5 Traxxion installs in the past 3 weeks, plus lighting and wiring jobs, as well as installations of other accessories we carry.

You seem to be on the right track here.. definitely the AK-20s, and if the forks are coming off, you are 1/2 way to the All-Balls install, so it makes sense to get it done.

I would suggest that if you are going through the effort to get to the rear shock, you should replace it, not just mess around with the preload. I don't know how many miles you have, but the stock shock is not a great performer when new, and looses performance very rapidly. Couple this with a spring way too light for a 900 lb motorcycle, and you will get a far better ride for you, and even more so, for your co-rider if you address the issue. She sits right over the shock, and that's pretty much her entire suspension. If you currently get the wham-slam - drive your hips up through your helmet - sensation when you go over a good bump, your shock is trash. The shock degrades slowly, so you may not really notice it until you ride a bike with a good shock, or replace yours. Then you'll say "How did I live with that?" As someone once said "The best you know is the best you've ever ridden" If you haven't ridden a Wing with a proper suspension, you just can't imagine it.

=Dave=
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You seem to be on the right track here.. definitely the AK-20s, and if the forks are coming off, you are 1/2 way to the All-Balls install, so it makes sense to get it done.

I would suggest that if you are going through the effort to get to the rear shock, you should replace it, not just mess around with the preload. I don't know how many miles you have, but the stock shock is not a great performer when new, and looses performance very rapidly. Couple this with a spring way too light for a 900 lb motorcycle, and you will get a far better ride for you, and even more so, for your co-rider if you address the issue. She sits right over the shock, and that's pretty much her entire suspension. If you currently get the wham-slam - drive your hips up through your helmet - sensation when you go over a good bump, your shock is trash. The shock degrades slowly, so you may not really notice it until you ride a bike with a good shock, or replace yours. Then you'll say "How did I live with that?" As someone once said "The best you know is the best you've ever ridden" If you haven't ridden a Wing with a proper suspension, you just can't imagine it.

=Dave=
rocketmoto.com
Thanks Dave,

I do the majority of wrenching on my own, but I can see that if I tackle the AK20s, new Traxxion shock, bearings, etc. I could screw the pooch and these parts aren't cheap.

I believe that my bikes should and could be the best they can be. After reading many blogs about the GL1800 I am convinced, as many are, that Honda could have done a much better job in the suspension department, both front and rear. The asymetrical setup + anti-dive guts in the forks I don't like, therefore I can see going to the cartridges, proper bearings and replacing the semi-functional rear shock, by an experienced installer.

I do get the butt slam and Tupperware noise. IMHO the rear shock was semi-functional from day one. My bike is an 06 ABS model and only has 33k on it. Should have been more, like at least 60k miles, but I've been grounded for two summers. Doesn't stop me from making better with the bike though.

I've done fork work on other bikes (V-Strom and FJR1300) but this would be a bit more involved, so I'll leave it to the experts (not dealer).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts