GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone completely modifies the suspension on their GL1800 - including removing a critical function to control front-end diving in a fast stop - and they subsequently have an accident, can't the insurance company refuse to pay? And if someone encouraged the person to make the modification - let alone sold the parts and installed them on the bike - wouldn't that person also be liable for any damages?

I sure would be hesitant to but myself and my family in that situation.

Tom Franken
Darksider repeating some well stated concerns...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Anybody can sue anybody for anything.....however.......how would they even know the change had been made?

Let's assume there was a suit....You could bring in experts to attest to the fact that the upgrade actually made the bike safer...

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
My bike dives less with the antidive mechanism disabled and the Traxxion springs installed. Much less.
It also has given up clunking, bottoming out, meandering in sweepers, shimmying, shaking, cupping, and wobbling.
I think that if there were ever to be some sort of litigation that I could solicit and obtain many testimonies to support the position that the bike is improved by the modifications.
Perhaps insurance companies will soon start to deny claims on unmodified bikes. Isn't that the point of the pending class action suit?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
Sounds like a troll to me.
I agree - a troll from the car tire discussion group where this very issue is being tossed around. The main difference here is that the Traxxion modifications are a product of a company that specializes in motorcycle suspension, and the product is intended for the vehicle it's used on. There's no more liability with a Traxxion setup than with any other aftermarket suspension products when used as designed and intended. Some of those guys just don't understand the difference - or don't want to.
It's getting really old.

Stu

·
Registered
281 Posts
tomfranken said:
If someone completely modifies the suspension on their GL1800 - including removing a critical function to control front-end diving in a fast stop - and they subsequently have an accident, can't the insurance company refuse to pay? And if someone encouraged the person to make the modification - let alone sold the parts and installed them on the bike - wouldn't that person also be liable for any damages?

I sure would be hesitant to but myself and my family in that situation.

Tom Franken
Darksider repeating some well stated concerns...
Tom...

You raise a very good question to consider in "general" when applying any type of accessories / modification / upgrade to your bike.

However, I would not direct this discussion towards one manufacturer or another. Hopefully there is a member that's a lawyer and an insurance adjudicator who could provide a response to this issue.

I guess there are always risks associated with changing your stock bike - either with accessories, modifications, or upgrades, etc.

Based on the feedback that I have read about the Traxxion shock and their expertise in this area, I would, without a doubt, get their product (although expensive, but that's another thread). The Canadian conversion to US hurts even more!

All of us have to do our due dilligence to research a product that we want to install. We can only assume that the manufacturer has done their home work to conclude that the product is safe.

Without being too simplistic, do the research, speak the the manufacturer, read the forums, establish that "gut feel" , determine the advantageous / disadvantageous, rule out any safetly issue, and make a decision about the product.

Bottom line, as the owner of the bike, we take the responsibility for installing, modifying or changing the bike.

Zeebo

·
Registered
973 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Mad Meteor said:
Stu_O wrote:
It's getting really old.
Geez Stu! Have some patience. You know as well as I do that items keep coming up over and over and that just because you saw it before or on another thread doesn't mean that someone else did as well.

The point about the Traxxion products being specifically designed and intended for their application is well taken.

The puking Emoticon is beneath you, but that is just my opinion.
Yet another darksider troll. How lovely. :roll:

·
Vendor
22,239 Posts
There is a very clear difference to me in making a modification that is designed and intended to IMPROVE the way your bike performs, and one that is clearly done solely as a cost cutting measure.

Many companies make products designed to improve performance on bikes, everything from suspension components, to engine parts to boost hp to improvements to the brakes.

I can't think of a single aftermarket product made that by it's very design will decrease performance. That isn't to say that there aren't some out there though.

·
Registered
973 Posts
nedro said:
Yet another darksider troll. How lovely.
I guess I don't get it. Does somebody want to fill me in on the joke?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Mad Meteor said:
nedro said:
Yet another darksider troll. How lovely.
I guess I don't get it. Does somebody want to fill me in on the joke?
He wasn't calling you the troll though.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Well, I'm not a member of the Darksiders club, though I do have a car tire on my 1800. Intentional troublemaker, not really. I guess I just hold Stu_O to very high standards of conduct since he is a famous personality and an ambassador for the GWRRA.

In retrospect my post had no purpose other than to express my opinion and serves no greater good.

It is now deleted and I'll butt-out of this thread unless I have something of value to offer.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Tom, You better not leave your house today. This is the exact reason why there are so many lawsuits going around in this world. Some people just jump on the legal side of everything. In this case he is trying to cover his ass, I assume. But what the people that just look for the negative and sue because of it. Getting kinda tired of all these sue happy people we have in this world.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Toyo said:
This is the exact reason why there are so many lawsuits going around in this world. ... Getting kinda tired of all these sue happy people we have in this world.
Steve,
I agree.

This country was made the greatest by great men willing to take chances with new and better ideas.

We are now very much stifling that process.

IF ... democracy has a flaw, it is the abuse of our tort system.
It's like a cancer eating us from the inside out.

my two cents,
Dennis

·
Registered
281 Posts
wingwing said:
Toyo said:
This is the exact reason why there are so many lawsuits going around in this world. ... Getting kinda tired of all these sue happy people we have in this world.
Steve,
I agree.

This country was made the greatest by great men willing to take chances with new and better ideas.

We are now very much stifling that process.

IF ... democracy has a flaw, it is the abuse of our tort system.
It's like a cancer eating us from the inside out.

my two cents,
Dennis
I seem to be seeing this more and more in Canada too. Everytime I get my Insurance Renewal (either car, house, error and omission, bike, etc), the broker advises me to take as much liability coverage (3, 4, 5 million) that I can because of people that abuse the system.

Zeebo

1 - 20 of 72 Posts