GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used wing with Traxxion and just rebuilt the forks with new bushings and seals. Both sides the bottom bolt is weeping a very small amount of fluid. I have done this job 6 times before on stock wings with out a problem. This is my first time with Traxxion. Everything went fine except the leaking. Bolts came out easy and went back in just fine. Even used new crush washers. On the stock forks one uses a longer bolt the other fork a shorter bolt. The Traxxion used long ones on both side so I had one new one and I used the old one in the other side. Did not use locktite. Tightened firmly by holding the head of the ratchet. Traxxion's directions says to not use torque wrench as they can be overtightened. Read directions before and after and am not finding the answer. I'm missing something, any ideas?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
When I loosen or tighten there lower bolts I use this method and never have any issue with them coming off or tightening them the next time I service the same forks. No leaks either.

I have this tool,easily made of you can't find one at a tool shack etc.

I use a 3/8 ratchet and give the end of it's handle a good whack with a ball peen hammer to "shock" the nut loose/tight and never have had any issue yet.

If you try my method,all you should have to do it pull the axle/wheel off to expose the allen head bolts.The forks don't need to be removed for this.Seeing you used new crush washers.

Brand of shocks/innards don't matter in this case.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocky do think that I just didn't tighten the bolts enough? I may of been concerned about over tightening. Here are the directions from Traxxion.

Install cartridge in right leg and tighten bolt BY HAND, USING NO LOCTITE, until it
stops, and will not rotate any further using a hand ratchet. This will be obvious. DO
NOT use an air tool, and DO NOT trust a torque spec. If the bolt will spin, the crush
washer will leak. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. If the cartridge wants to spin, use the AK-
20 Cartridge holding tool supplied with your kit (straight black box section tube

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky do think that I just didn't tighten the bolts enough? I may of been concerned about over tightening. Here are the directions from Traxxion.

Install cartridge in right leg and tighten bolt BY HAND, USING NO LOCTITE, until it
stops, and will not rotate any further using a hand ratchet. This will be obvious. DO
NOT use an air tool, and DO NOT trust a torque spec. If the bolt will spin, the crush
washer will leak. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. If the cartridge wants to spin, use the AK-
20 Cartridge holding tool supplied with your kit (straight black box section tube
I have serviced traxxion shocks and use my method..I believe what they say is smart because we all know that guys think "Over tightening" is the best way to go.

This is why I use the shock method.I never have the fork in a secure vise.I just lay it on my bench and give the bolt a shock either way.That way I know it's tight,but not excessivly over tight when going back together because the shock can stll move as I shock the bolt.

They are correct--Never use air tools on fork parts or you'll just be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. As always good advice. I have the wheel off and will give them a whack. I'll let it set this afternoon and see if it is good. I looked at the bolts and they appear dry but there is a small amount of fluid on the bottom of the fork. I am now thinking there may of been some fluid in the crack of the axle clamps. Cleaned everything up with carb cleaner and will see. Did the job 4 days ago and have put on a couple hundred miles. Today I decided that they must be leaking but perhaps not.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Once tight spray the crevice, crack whatever you want to call it with brake cleaner(do not get any on any paint) clean well with a rag and check it later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts