GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I read on one of these threads that some one had done some maint on their traxxion forks or fork seals. Kinda made me wonder what kind of maint do you have to do with this high dollar upgrade. I have been on the fence with this upgrade and would be interested to know what maint is needed and at what intervals.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I believe recommended service is 20K miles for the front forks, 50K miles for the rear shock. Front service runs about $250, about $300 for the rear.

I would recommend contacting them directly and ask Karen, Mike or Dan and they can give you exact cost for the service.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,319 Posts
The Traxxion AK-20 fork upgrade doesn't require any more maintenance than does the OEM forks. Traxxion does recommend a fork service every 20K miles to change the fork oil and check to see if the slide bushings are wore......and that's with either the OEM or the Traxxion setup.

The thing about the slide bushing is they could be wore or they might not be, but you won't know unless you do a fork service. Here's what my slide bushing looked like at 20K miles.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
It seems I read on one of these threads that some one had done some maint on their traxxion forks or fork seals. Kinda made me wonder what kind of maint do you have to do with this high dollar upgrade. I have been on the fence with this upgrade and would be interested to know what maint is needed and at what intervals.
It is PREVENTIVE maintenance. Just like changing oil in the engine. About 20 to 30,000 miles, yank out the forks, clean the forks, change the fork oil, check for wear in the sliders, see if the O-rings and seals are stiff - just the normal things you would expect to do on a peice of machinery with close tolerances and moving parts. Do it yourself is three or four hours and some parts, have it done is a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check service manuals

Many service manuals that I have read, advise to change the front fork oil every 10-12k. While this may be practical for many riders, it is not for the Goldwing rider. That comes out to once or twice a year for some of us. 20k will be my service point. That will give me about two years of use. I change the oil in everything else religeously, why not the rest of the fluids. :bow:

"If mechanical parts area moving, there will be wear and tear on the parts. Lubrication only slows it down and keeps it cooler."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts