GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running the Avon Valk 70 series rear tire for awhile and like it a lot. If I do the complete Traxxion suspension upgrade, will I have to go back to the 60 series tire? I can be happy with either, but if there's no compelling reason to switch, I'd rather go large. Bonus question: Will I be making a mistake putting over $2K into a bike with 75K miles? I plan on putting another 75K on it before I get another.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Karl,

I've got 68,000 miles on my bike and plan on doing the suspension upgrade in the next couple of months. I'm just doing the springs in the front rather than the cartridges and will be replacing the rear shock with the Traxxion upgrade. I'm hoping to get 200,000 miles before getting rid of the bike.

Ed W.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I just had the Traxxion upgrade (front and back) done, and I currently have 70 series tires (D-3's). It will be a few thousand miles, but I already have a set of 60's sitting in my garage for the next change. I'll post the differences then (but don't hold your breath).

As far as my current set-up goes. No problems. Best money I've ever spent. I feel like I'm riding a new (and completely different - in a good way) bike.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Did the tapered steering head bearings & wobble was gone. Then, last Oct, went to Wingstock & saw the Traxxion solution. Talked to Max & stayed over to have the fork brace and full Traxxion suspension done.

Just had new tires installed & have the Avon 70R on the back. Speedo is dead on and the Wing handles like a charm.

YMMV - the standard disclaimers apply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My bike ('04 ABS CBC) has gone over 12,000 miles with the full Traxxion suspension and 70 series E3 rear tire. A 70 series rear tire has been on the bike for the last 35,000 to 40,000 miles. In my opinion - this combination works extremely well in every situation so far.

Happy New Year
Savage

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The steering geometry will impart more oversteer; if you like that feeling (like an RC51), keep the 70.
I feel that the lower profile tire will handle better due to it's tighter sidewall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts