GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks!
I have read all the positives of going with traxxion, watched videos, etc,....
I just want to know if there are any issues at all, unusual or negatively different feel of he bike, or any restrictions or anything else that I should expect after doing it.

Any cons at all?

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Traxxion

I just had mine done at RaceWorx in Alvarado TX last week. I left this last Friday morning on a trip from Austin TX to the Big Bend National Park and back. After driving from Alvarado to Austin on Thursday in heavy winds and traffic I was very impressed with the "quickness" of the steering. I am not a extremely experienced rider but I could definitely tell something was better. Driving to west Texas enhanced that feeling. The ride was better, although I am still experimenting with the pre load that will feel the best for me. For a non expert in suspensions, I feel that the addition of the fork brace will be the first thing that you will feel the difference in. I have not had a chance to ride two up yet. I was told to watch the steering until I got used to the quickness and that the dive in braking would be different. I had to do a near panic stop just as I got home last night but I was not noticing anything but the rear of the car in front of me. I do not have ABS so I was trying to get on the brakes as hard as I could while steering to miss the car. I did not notice anything different as far as heavy braking was concerned.
At this point in time I am very happy with the entire system and feel it was worth the money.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I know this sounds "tongue in cheek" but you will be burning more gas and wearing out tires faster. That's the only downside I know of.

According to a friend of mine, though, he says I sound like an evangelist when the subject comes up. That could be considered a negative, I suppose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Full Traxxion since Dec 07 on my 2008 Airbag, also with Raceworx.
No regrets.

If anything negative: gives you more confidence then before as the bike handles so much better. Both: low speeds on parking lot turns as well as high speed twisties (TX Hill Country, Dragon's Tail etc.). Makes you feel a better rider than you are ;) :nojoke:

Brgds Teun

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The bike will sit a little higher...if ride height is an issue.
THAT is my major concern as the bike is just about right as it sits now. I thought moving the forks up 10mm put the front at the stock height and their rear shock has the option of lowering the rear by about 5mm on the lowest setting. Perhaps that lower setting in the rear brings it back to stock height considering the increased spring rate. If not, and the rear is actually 5mm lower than I suppose sliding the forks another few MM up would net you the same static ride height as stock.

Has anyone measured stock height vs. traxxion height post installation?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Sorry guys, I don't understand the big concern with ride height. I've got a 28 inch inseam and have no issues.

Stop and think about how much actual time you are stopped at a stop sign versus how much time you're rolling.

Point that thing out of town and ride it...

·
Registered
274 Posts
trax

I've got over 30000 on the full set up....I can't think of anything I don't like better about it compared to stock, rides smoother, tracks/steers better, much better on gravel roads, less sliding more sure footed.....better means more solid,stable handling, also pulls trailer really well....no more bottoming at high speeds on freeway bumps and expansion joints, feels more nimble overall. I feel safer and much more confident on the traxxion setup and ride much more relaxed compared to stock....my wing used to wobble, wallow and jolt, but no more, bty I am very experienced rider with an extensive history of offroad racing. If any riders in Colorado would like to check it out, pm me and we can take a ride sometime.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your input, guys!
I am glad you are happy! Makes me easier to part with "mucho $$$" :yes1:

Regarding the fork brace - I seem to remember that you can't have it on the ABS/Airbag model. Is this true or am I confusing it with my ex-ST1100?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Traxxion Fork Brace/Full Monty Upgrade on 07 ABS model

Had the full monty on 04/08/09. Worth the $$$$.$$ in my opinion.

First time to almost drop the bike came while two-up trying to make a U-turn on a narrow country road. Picture me with bike leaned over almost on crash bars - wife jumping off to help right the bike. Have since had hernia repair surgery! Really - in February 09. This was pre-Traxxion upgrade.

Rode 400+miles this past Saturday in Tennessee two-up on very twisty narrow country roads. Same type U-turn made after missing a turn, no problem. I used to look for very large turn around areas or do the twist/backup/twist/backup maneuver. Now steering is very precise, more control, better shock response to road imperfections, etc. Suspension preload used to have to be at 21, now runs at 7 with great results. Takes curves like being on rails, less steering input required.

Call Traxxion and ask about the Airbag model, but don't think it is a problem.

Mike

Pictures of Traxxion fork brace installed on my 07 ABS model: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=269

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great, Mike! I am happy for you!!!
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
traxxion

After riding my good friend Chuck's I have an appointment Wed. morning. Could not believe the difference, WOW!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had mine done at Traxxion HQ last week. Have 2009 ABS and they added the fork brace. Don't know about air bag. I agree with the others- I rode the best 1000 miles ever after they installed the full monty. The money is hard to part with for sure- but these bikes are our hobby- feel like I want to maximize safety and performance.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
If i only wanted to get the fork brace, how much would that be. What teardown is necessary when they do it and also should i install something else while that is being put on to save money?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will probably do it in Lake Placid, NY this summer.
Did anyone use Mark's shop for that?
He sounds good, but is there anyone who did it there?

It's either MD or NY for me.
I thought Lake Placid area+Vermont = a nice vacation to test the Traxxion results :thumbup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have any official measurements to back me up, but even with my forks up 10mm I'd guesstimate the bike still sits an inch higher than stock.
Install the new traxxion rear shock, it has adjustability specifically designed for the shorter rider.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If i only wanted to get the fork brace, how much would that be. What teardown is necessary when they do it and also should i install something else while that is being put on to save money?
the traxxion fork brace is right around $310. shipped with fork gaurds , it will only take 20 mins to install . Looks like OEM fit , well made and you will notice a improvement

1 - 20 of 22 Posts