GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having the front suspension rebuilt. Question should I consider progresssive springs over Traxxion. I do not want a harsh ride. Are traxxion springs available in different spring rates. ?Thanks for responses.

Fred

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've had the Progressive springs on mine 05 since I bought. Handling is excellent.. MUCHcheaper than Traxxion, I reckon.. ;) I'm a big guy, but it handles MUCH better with them than any stock bike I rode.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Fred

Many are happy with the Progressive springs and they are approx $40 cheaper, but they are a one size fits all application.

Traxxion springs are available in different rates, and don't rub the interior of tubes causing premature fouling of the fork oil. Call Mike at Traxxion and he will hook you up with the right springs for your weight/application...2 up riding, aggressive twisty runner or slab sow.

As stated...deactivate the anti-dive as well. Money might be better spent for a Gen II Kury fork brace over tapered bearings. You already have close to 60,000 miles and would hate to see you invest in bearings and then trade bike off with out getting any long term benefit. The fork brace can be swapped easy enough to a new wing, or removed and sold if you move to something else.

jmho

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I like the Racetech the best out of all and they come in different sizes. I have installed over 5 sets in my area plus my own bike all very happy with them :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have Racetech rear, & Traxxion springs in the front, I had Proggressive in the front for a couple of years, but when I installed the Racetech on the rear, calibrated for my weight, the Progressive felt overly mushy, and was sagging almost like the stock spring, I installed the Traxxion in the front, calibrated for my weight, and the ride is very good, the only reason I went with the Traxxion in the front over Racetech, Traxxion has a buy back policy if I ever want to go with the total front fork cartridge upgrade., In My opinion Racetech and Traxxion are dead even on thier springs and much better than stock, and Progressive being somewhere, between them and stock.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have Traxxion 1.1 springs in the front, ADV disabled and it made an incredible difference the ride. Firm, but also absorbs the bumps much better and does not bottom out now.
I weigh 190lbs so I was on the border between the 1.1's and 1.2 spring rate.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Having the front suspension rebuilt. Question should I consider progresssive springs over Traxxion. I do not want a harsh ride. Are traxxion springs available in different spring rates. ?Thanks for responses.

Fred
I'll say it again.
Springs do not make your suspension stiff or harsh if they are correct for your weight. Only valving can do that.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have used both the Progressives and the Traxxion front springs and prefer the Traxxion. I am currently using the 1.2 suspension. Absorbs the bumps real well. I found with the progressives the ride was harsher. Too firm for me.

As to cost they are about the same. I have recently installed a fork brace which I purchased off Ebay for $109 and happier than spending more than the $280 setup. Fork brace helps alot for the forks flexing. Made for a more stable ride.

JMHO

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll go with the Traxxion. I'm looking forward to getting the work done and I'm sure my ride back from Midwest in IN will be an enjoyable ride with new and improved front suspension. Yep I'm finally upgrading.

Still on the fence with the tapered bearings though as my current stock stem bearings seem to be ok. We'll see when I get to the shop and Paul looks at it.

Fred

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Fred

Many are happy with the Progressive springs and they are approx $40 cheaper, but they are a one size fits all application.

Traxxion springs are available in different rates, and don't rub the interior of tubes causing premature fouling of the fork oil. Call Mike at Traxxion and he will hook you up with the right springs for your weight/application...2 up riding, aggressive twisty runner or slab sow.

As stated...deactivate the anti-dive as well. Money might be better spent for a Gen II Kury fork brace over tapered bearings. You already have close to 60,000 miles and would hate to see you invest in bearings and then trade bike off with out getting any long term benefit. The fork brace can be swapped easy enough to a new wing, or removed and sold if you move to something else.

jmho
Whoever told you that "Lied" to you.:wrong:

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll go with the Traxxion. I'm looking forward to getting the work done and I'm sure my ride back from Midwest in IN will be an enjoyable ride with new and improved front suspension. Yep I'm finally upgrading.

Still on the fence with the tapered bearings though as my current stock stem bearings seem to be ok. We'll see when I get to the shop and Paul looks at it.

Fred
Fred.keep in mind that "Straight" rate springs are the same as the forks compress under braking.
Some who went with a straight rate spring took them out because they were to stiff.

You have two choices in progressive wound springs.
Progressive
Hyper-pro

Like Nedro said!
Springs aren't stiff if they are for your weight!
What he didn't say was is as important as what he said.

NO-ONE knows how you ride or what the road conditions are where you ride to offer a spring rate that YOU will like vs what THEY think everyone will like for there body weight!!

Anyone that tells you "These springs are what you need" is lying to you because they are just guessing.Lots of variables in there to consider.Some times it take a couple different set of springs to get it RIGHT for YOU!

Just look at Stuna and what he experimented with and found he likes vs what THEY told him he would like.

No one likes the same thing nor feels the same thing from a set of springs.

The only guarantee is "any" set of springs will feel different over stock.Finding what fits YOU is the difficult part through trial n error..

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again guys. After comm with Paul at Midwest looks like traxxion 1.1 Springs.

Fred

1 - 16 of 16 Posts