GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max
I remember a while back that you gave a full set of suspension to Stu to do a product review in Wing World. What ever happened to that ? I haven't seen anything on it yet.
 

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Joined
·
7,745 Posts
It's been over a year now. I use to look forward on getting a issue of Wing World thinking a article on Traxxion would be in the next issue, maybe comparing the Traxxion stuff to the other aftermarket suspension products on the market,but I guess it isn't going to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
It'll be interesting to read Stu's review. It was interesting to read Fred's initial review. But since the only negative reviews there have been have come from riders who have never ridden a Traxxionized wing, I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting. :lol:

But I'll tell you this, if you get a CT, you won't need Traxxion or ever have to change your oil again. Think of all the money you'll save on crush washersl :lol:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,085 Posts
Tom,

I replaced my stem bearings almost three years ago with All Balls.

I tested the Traxxion fork upgrade with AK-20 cartridges and Traxxion springs. Then I put on the Kuryakyn fork brace and repeated testing.

Testing was done at both low and high speeds on a variety of roads over the course of the last few months. I hope to release the final report tomorrow. I will also be updating it in a year or so after I rack up some serious miles on the forks to report how they stand up over time.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Re: Traxxion product review

Cal-D said:
Max
I remember a while back that you gave a full set of suspension to Stu to do a product review in Wing World. What ever happened to that ? I haven't seen anything on it yet.
There was already a lot in Stu's hopper, so I don't know when he'll write something.

But at this point I would want him to ride our latest spec before he wrote anything anyway. He got one of the very first sets we ever built, and we have fine tuned the setup over time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
MAx, You shouldnt have said that! Now your gonna have people thinking they have a inferier Traxxion product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
Toyo said:
MAx, You shouldnt have said that! Now your gonna have people thinking they have a inferier Traxxion product.
Aw..just look at Max's avatar Toyo....
He obviously enjoys the abuse. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
ddking said:
It'll be interesting to read Stu's review. It was interesting to read Fred's initial review. But since the only negative reviews there have been have come from riders who have never ridden a Traxxionized wing, I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting. :lol:
Hmmmm.....Just when he starts to sound like the therapy is working, and it's safe to let him out....

He does something like this....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ddking said:
But I'll tell you this, if you get a CT, you won't need Traxxion or ever have to change your oil again. Think of all the money you'll save on crush washersl :lol:
 

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Joined
·
7,745 Posts
Re: Traxxion product review

="Max McAllister
But at this point I would want him to ride our latest spec before he wrote anything anyway. He got one of the very first sets we ever built, and we have fine tuned the setup over time.
Max
I'm just curious, can AK-20 kit be fine tuned to the newer spec when the forks are sent in for service? I have always wondered if the AK-20 kit can be changed once installed to maybe offer a slighty smoother ride or whatever the owner wants from his bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Interesting. Couple of questions. Is there anyone that has done the upgrade that still has a front wobble . Fred did you pay the going price for your parts or were they comps like the other guy? I would give way more credence to an evaluation by a guy that ponied up his own $$'s than from a guy that got a freebie. I am very hesitant about doing any mods that permanently alter components such as the anti-dive. 50k miles and never a problem with mine. I have never liked the crappy front suspension on rough roads though. I've got the bike stripped and now would be a good time to do a change.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Re: Traxxion product review

Roadie said:
="Max McAllister
But at this point I would want him to ride our latest spec before he wrote anything anyway. He got one of the very first sets we ever built, and we have fine tuned the setup over time.
Max
I'm just curious, can AK-20 kit be fine tuned to the newer spec when the forks are sent in for service? I have always wondered if the AK-20 kit can be changed once installed to maybe offer a slighty smoother ride or whatever the owner wants from his bike.
Absolutely.

We have been providing free "updates" to our current spec as people send them in.

If you happened to have the current spec, and wanted something softer, or whatever, we will always change stuff up free of charge.

We can soften the spring rate or damping rates, as you desire.

No problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,496 Posts
Re: Traxxion product review

Max McAllister said:
If you happened to have the current spec, and wanted something softer, or whatever, we will always change stuff up free of charge. ... We can soften the spring rate or damping rates, as you desire.
Now, THAT is good to know !
... it should be on your web site.

That's about the last piece of info I needed to "commit" ...

Thanks,
Dennis
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,085 Posts
Terpen said:
Interesting. Couple of questions. Is there anyone that has done the upgrade that still has a front wobble . Fred did you pay the going price for your parts or were they comps like the other guy? I would give way more credence to an evaluation by a guy that ponied up his own $$'s than from a guy that got a freebie. I am very hesitant about doing any mods that permanently alter components such as the anti-dive. 50k miles and never a problem with mine. I have never liked the crappy front suspension on rough roads though. I've got the bike stripped and now would be a good time to do a change.
Just for the record, no I did not pay full price. But don't let that influence you, as the Traxxion system truly has earned all the praise it is getting. And the fact that there is not one single complaint by anyone who has put it on thier bike is testament to that fact.

I did my best to be fair and objective in my report, and if I could have found any negative aspects to it, you can bet I would have put them in the report.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Terpen said:
Is there anyone that has done the upgrade that still has a front wobble .

I am very hesitant about doing any mods that permanently alter components such as the anti-dive.
Hi Terpen,

Here's some extra info:

The antidive isn't modified. It remains completely stock. What actually happens is fluid no longer passes through it, so it doesn't have any effect on the fork. In fact, it can be stuck like happens to most folks eventually, and it won't matter.

We have a 100% money back guarantee that you will be satisfied, so you don't really need to worry about anything.

The left chrome tube is irreversibly modified, but if you didn't like the kit for some reason, we would replace it at no charge to you anyway. The forks still use OEM seals and bushings as delivered and installed from Honda.

If you don't have complete faith in Fred's opinion of the kit, a quick search will reveal several hundred similar testimonies, all from independent customers using the wing in all types of situations, all with the same results.

For the record, we have had one bike that we didn't completely elimanate the wobble on, and even it was roughly 90% gone. We didn't have enough time to try and find what was causing it, and he had to go. He does read this list, his name is Charles. He's a British fella living in the States. I haven't heard from anyone else.

Most people's bikes stop wobbling after our kit goes on, even if they have worn and cupped tires.

We have had one single customer who preferred stock since we started this, and we refunded his money as promised. Which statistically proves:

"You can't make everyone happy".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
Re: Traxxion product review

wingwing said:
Max McAllister said:
If you happened to have the current spec, and wanted something softer, or whatever, we will always change stuff up free of charge. ... We can soften the spring rate or damping rates, as you desire.
Now, THAT is good to know !
... it should be on your web site.

That's about the last piece of info I needed to "commit" ...

Thanks,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

None of the updates we have ever made have been significant... only subtle changes in preload and damping to perfect the kit.

To be honest, we don't have any update policy because we have never had anyone ask for any changes other than the one single guy who wasn't happy.

We changed his forks 4 times! No matter what, he thought stock was better. It was quite bizarre, as almost 100% of the time, the PASSENGERS are as happy about the investment as the drivers are!

:shock: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, Stu if you are out there will there be a review of the Traxxion system in Wing World ? Do you know when ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
ddking said:
But I'll tell you this, if you get a CT, you won't need Traxxion or ever have to change your oil again. Think of all the money you'll save on crush washersl :lol:

Does this mean that you think I'm a "stupid jackass" and will refuse to ride with me as well? :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I'm the British Guy...!!!

Hi All

I am the guy Max mentioned who still had a slight wobble after fitting the front and rear AK20 suspension.

I had the front AK20 upgrade done first, to help the front end with last years trip up to Alaska, and the improvement in the front end was very impressive, smoother ride, better handling etc. but I did still had the wobble :(

I put it down to a well worn front E3 tire, and was hoping that when I replaced that, things would improve, unfortunatly things did not. I then blamed the worn rear tire, again upon changing that, no better (I had been traveling the USA on a 6 month road trip).

I saw a post from Max asking whether anybody with the AK20 was still suffering from the problem, so contacted him, and arranged to stop at the workshop during the "Wingstock" rally, where they fitted the rear upgrade to compliment the front end.

This did improve things, but I still had a very slight front end wobble, not nearly as bad as it was, but if looked for, was still noticeable. We also fitted the Kuryakyn fork brace, which improved responsivness, but not the wobble :(

I got the feeling Max was very disappointed that after all they had done, they could not ascertain what the problem was on my bike. To be honest, the wobble really does need to be "looked for" now, whereas the original wobble (after fitting my first replacement tire, a Dunlop E3 in 2005) almost made the bike feel unsafe, but no Honda dealer I visited could diagnose any problem on the bike...!!!

I have since fitted new Bridgestone tires front and rear, but I am now back in the UK, planning this years trip to the USA, and have not had the chance to evaluate whether either the tires, or the fact that new front and rear tires are now fitted will cure the problem.

As a closer, I would strongly recommend the upgrade to anybody who is unhappy with the standard setup. I felt the front end especially weak for a bike of this price, and Max and his team really will do all that they can to help improve your ride.

I look forward to maybe meeting up with some of you guys again in 2007 when I return to the USA :)

Charles
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top