GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any kind of problem with the Traxx rear shock? Not the honda redone one. If so what.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have worked on one GL1800 where the Traxxion rear shock starting leaking fluid. I swapped it out temporarily with an OEM take off. The Traxxion shock was sent back and promptly repaired/replaced, I couldn't tell. There is no question they stand behind their product, no questions asked. I like that....

·
Registered
369 Posts
mine leaked at bout 30,000 miles. max just charged me for the rebuild and no charge for the labor for removing the shock.i thought that was a good deal.one mechanic did the job in less than 3 hrs and i was back on the road. max and the crew are great people to deal with. max :thumbup: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mine also leaked and was repaired under warranty almost 2 years/30k miles ago I also received a cover for the shaft. I have had no problem since then.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Does anyone have knowledge of a OEM shock that has leaked ?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Yes, there are hundrends, if not thousands, of oem setups that have issues.

Put the bike on the centerstand. Turn your key to the ACC position. Set the preload to zero. Then raise your preload, non-stop to 15. Listen to the sound of the preload adjuster as it works. When the "whine" changes to a lower tone, it has started to actually do it's job. Very few stock wings will have this change of tone at a preload setting below 5.

If the preload doesn't actually do anything til you get to 5 or 7 or whatever, then your system has an issue. Usually it's air in the line.

I too had to have Max's crew take care of a very minor issue with the rear shock. Very happy with how they handled it. I also have a boot on the rear shock now.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
DJ I know about the servicing issue with the OEM shock and how to check the preload and how to properly service the unit. What I was asking has anyone had a issue with the OEM shock itself leaking ?

I know Traxion has a few issues and I remember on thread where someone had to send a Progressive shock back to have it rebuilt may be more that I am no aware about. I plan on either replacing my rear shock,with a trike takeoff and replace the OEM spring with an aftermarket simply just trying to find out what is the best route to take or would it be better to replace the whole shock with an aftermarket..

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Traxxion HAD, not has, an issue with a VERY VERY small number of us with very slight leakage. They took care of it. Not another problem since then and she's just under 97,000 miles in less than 2 years.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Traxion and Progressive both have really good customer service. Both provide a quality product.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I haven't seen or heard of any Stock unaltered rear shock leaking..
A few Traxxion altered stock shocks have leaked..I haven't heard or read about any of there Penske shocks leaking.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Sorry Wimpy for the thread highjack

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
IF you think your rear shock is bad how do you tell what is actually bad, is it the shock or is it just the spring. If the problem is the spring and your rear shock is not leaking then why not just change the spring. Why would you need to get a trike take off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts