GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the board - I recently picked up an 09 and am going to be putting some $$$ into the suspension. Leaning towards the Traxxion set up on the front, and was thinking of going Racetech in the rear solely for reliability reasons. (Preference is to put Traxxion in the rear as well.) It appears there were some issues with a small number of the Traxxion shocks early on and that they have addressed the issue. I am a do it once and forget about it person- so reliability is high on the priority list. I did a search and most of the issues reported here were with the early version of the shock. Is anyone aware of any failures with the "updated" version of the Traxxion shock?

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I can't tell what year your wing is and if I missed it, my apologies. If reliability is number one, then my choice would an 2012 - 2014 rear shock with either the factory spring or one with a slightly higher spring rate.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the full Traxxion suspension on my 05 Wing and it's the best suspension I have ever rode on so if you have Taxxion on the front I would also install it on the rear, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You are going to get a ton of thoughts here. Look up suspension - it's the most talked about topic other than oil choices :)

If you have a pre 2012 bike, putting on the 2012+ stuff from maybe a trike rebuild would be a big enough improvement over the old stock.
It really depends on what you want to do. If you just want less bottoming out 2 up or just a little "stronger suspension" then 2012+ components will cut it on the rear. Even the 2012+ triple is better than pre. Save some money there without a lot of work.

If you are a seasoned rider, planning on hitting the roads on the sportier side of the riding spectrum, Traxxion is a good choice as is Racetech and a few others.. Traxxion will be the highest cost.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Take a look

New to the board - I recently picked up an 09 and am going to be putting some $$$ into the suspension. Leaning towards the Traxxion set up on the front, and was thinking of going Racetech in the rear solely for reliability reasons. (Preference is to put Traxxion in the rear as well.) It appears there were some issues with a small number of the Traxxion shocks early on and that they have addressed the issue. I am a do it once and forget about it person- so reliability is high on the priority list. I did a search and most of the issues reported here were with the early version of the shock. Is anyone aware of any failures with the "updated" version of the Traxxion shock?
You might want to take a look at this post. I have a used Traxxion rear shock you might be interested in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts