·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Nice set-up; wish I had it.

prs

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Good read Fred!! While I'm not "springin" for the full dose, I reckon the kury brace is a good choice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
thank you Fred for that review!! Mine goes in next month for the Traxxion front end kit. I guess I'll add the Kury brace while I'm at it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Traxxion upgrade

I too upgraded my suspention with the Traxxion front and rear package.
Everything Fred wrote in his review is true and more.I can't imagine anyone not being happy with this upgrade.If you can afford the cost,I would recommend this upgrade to everyone.Not only is it more comfortable to ride,it is safer.the handling is awesome.You will never know how bad your suspension is until you ride a bike with the Traxxion.
I truely didn't expect this much of a change,I just knew I wanted better.
Your suspension degrades so slowly,you don't notice it.Do yourself and your passenger a favor and ride a bike with it.
Added bonus,My wife would make little noises when I hit a bump before and now she doesn't.She is not the type to notice any differences in the bike,but she sure noticed this one.The bike rides like it is supposed too..Sorry for being long winded,but as you can tell,I am impressed...Jim

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks Fred for your write up on this subject.

Have you ever experienced progressive springs on front and rear on a GL1800 and if so how did that compare with the Traxxion setup.

I just don't have that much free resource to invest in the told Traxxion package and was wondering what you would think of the progressive spring swap. Or perhaps Traxxion setup on the rear for $399 and progressive springs on the front.
Thanks for any input you have.

Leaddog11

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you read my review, you will note that I had Progressive springs in the forks before I sent them to Traxxion for the upgrade.

The Progressive springs will reduce the sag by about an inch, but the Traxxion set up is a huge improvement over the Progressives and are much better suited to the bike. The Traxxion springs reduced the sag another inch over the Progressives, or almost 2 inches over the OEM. Less sag means more available suspension travel and a softer ride.

If you can't afford the Traxxion, the Progressives will be an improvement over the OEM Honda springs.

I have not tried the rear Progressive spring.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Fred,

My forks are to be delivered back today. I only had the springs installed, and because I have a Trike they are slightly different according to Mike. I don't know what the difference is but cant wait to get the bike back together, and find out. I also had a good 10 days to do other maint, and put in pre-wiring for up coming, or future projects that will require wiring. Now all I have to do is get it all back together, and have a couple of fair to good days to check it out. I will know the difference on the first ride in to work if there is any big improvement. There is a section that I have to take that is like a Rub-board.

·
Registered
877 Posts
KJ5IX
You're a couple weeks ahead of me.
My forks and shock are on their way to Traxxion for the complete upgrade. Changed the steering head bearings yesterday to the tapered bearings. Will try to get a few other things done (air filter, tighten hose clamps and ground connections, etc.) while the bike is appart. My first chance to ride will be at the end of Feb. when I truck it down to Texas.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I'm on the verge of digging up the $$$ for this upgrade from somewhere. Maybe I'll sell one of the kids......... :twisted:

I have two questions for the group.

1: I'm 5'9" and just barely flat foot the bike now. How much of a change can I expect in seat height after the upgrade?

2: If I go for the front upgrade.... should I also get the rear shock done?

I have a feeling the answer to #2 will affect the answer to #1.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lucky 777 said:
I'm on the verge of digging up the $$$ for this upgrade from somewhere. Maybe I'll sell one of the kids......... :twisted:

I have two questions for the group.

1: I'm 5'9" and just barely flat foot the bike now. How much of a change can I expect in seat height after the upgrade?

2: If I go for the front upgrade.... should I also get the rear shock done?

I have a feeling the answer to #2 will affect the answer to #1.
I am about your same height, and have a 30 inch inseam, and I have both the front and rear Traxxion done. I have not had any issues with the seat height and didn't notice a significant difference.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Fred,
Would you reccomend at least the fork brace for some better handling with the stock set up on the wing. {until enough funds for the Traxxion upgrade are availible}?
Hazle

·
Registered
369 Posts
tire

wellll , bill i'm gettin some work done wed at traxxion and i have a ct on my bike max :twisted:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I get a chance, I will try to do some actual height measurements from the ground front and rear on a stock bike, and mine with the full Traxxion upgrades (front and rear) and I will add this to the review. I will first need to find a stock bike I can do the measurements on.

As for the Kuryakyn fork brace, yes I think it would be a good upgrade all by itself to any bike. This is the first brace I have ever tried that didn't cause significant binding. Normally I am not a fan of fork braces for this reason, but this 5 piece design really eliminates binding in the movement yet still provides rigidity to the forks.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Dave, if you are on the fence, you are more than welcome to try my 02 with the full Traxxion upgrade. That is assuming that this darn snow gives us a break soon. :cry:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Fred - one question about your report. As for servicing the forks by a Honda dealer, I asked that question at Traxxion, Mike, I believe, and his answer was "yes". BUT, he also mentioned that a heavy duty , bench-mounted spring compressor would be required. I don't think most Honda dealers have one of those. I may be entirely wrong in my understanding of this, so please comment. I like your answer a lot better than mine, BTW, as the local Honda mechanic is a pretty good guy.

·
Vendor
2,334 Posts
Smitty said:
Fred - one question about your report. As for servicing the forks by a Honda dealer, I asked that question at Traxxion, Mike, I believe, and his answer was "yes". BUT, he also mentioned that a heavy duty , bench-mounted spring compressor would be required. I don't think most Honda dealers have one of those. I may be entirely wrong in my understanding of this, so please comment. I like your answer a lot better than mine, BTW, as the local Honda mechanic is a pretty good guy.
Race Tech has a simplified version that you hold in a vise for about $130. Most bike shops have this tool.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts