GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand the benefits of replacing the OEM rear spring with the Traxxion product. Does anyone have specs on the physical difference between the stock 2012 rear spring and the Traxxion? I am probably going to do the AK20 kit, triple tree and fork brace...but I'm not sold on the clear reason why I would need to replace the rear spring. What does Fred say? :bow:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I can't address the traxxion spring, but I replaced the oem spring with a progressive spring several years ago. It made a "subtle" but noticeable improvement in the ride quality and smoothness of the ride. I'm sure the traxxion spring will do a similar job.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
OEM rear spring on a 2012 is around 950 lbs/in (give or take 25 ft/lbs). Standard Traxxion rear spring is normally 1100 lbs/in but they can make it in different sizes. The Traxxion rear shock is also valved to support the larger spring so that the compression and rebound damping properly matches the heavier spring rate. You can adjust the length and standard pre-load on the Traxxion shock, which you can't on the OEM. And unlike the OEM shock, you can have the Traxxion shock rebuilt.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
If I understood Jim's question correctly, if what you are wanting to do is use a OEM spring on a Traxxion shock, then you will also need to make some sort of bushing or spacer to make up the differences in the length of the springs. OEM is longer:

·
Registered
296 Posts
rear spring

It amaze me how the stock springs are always long that the after market and hold up less weight. I remember this from my automotive days. I would sell customers new springs and get a call from them that the new spring was wrong cause it was shorter that the original. I would convince them to install them and they would call me back later that now the car sat higher than it did before even though the after market spring was shorter. Even though the spring is shorter it is how much weight it can hold up.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If I understood Jim's question correctly, if what you are wanting to do is use a OEM spring on a Traxxion shock, then you will also need to make some sort of bushing or spacer to make up the differences in the length of the springs. OEM is longer:
Traxxion can provide a spacer to make their spring fit on a stock shock.

·
Registered
374 Posts
On a similar note: I have the chance to get a 2013 trike take off rear shock/spring/actuator at a really good price.

Is this worthwhile for an '03 with 92K miles? I'm thinking yes, but will wait for the vast knowledge of y'all to weigh in.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
On a similar note: I have the chance to get a 2013 trike take off rear shock/spring/actuator at a really good price.

Is this worthwhile for an '03 with 92K miles? I'm thinking yes, but will wait for the vast knowledge of y'all to weigh in.
Yes!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

That'd be a significant improvement over what you have now and it sounds like the price is right.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

Yes! :thumbup: Did this to my 02 w/65K and a Progressive Spring! Very nice!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Murgie,

My question was unclear. The issue is, I am debating the whole concept of replacing the rear spring and shock assembly with the Traxxion product. What I was looking for...and Fred supplied the info...was the physical differences between the two options. Now, what I need to decide is if the difference between the two will really deliver a significant improvement in the handling of my new 2012. I understand the need to improve the dampening with the AK20 cartidges, and further tighten up the front end with the Traxxion triple clamp and brace. But I'm still on the fence about going to all the work to remove the gas tank, etc. to replace the rear spring and shock...just not convinced that I need to do this to "enhance" my style of riding. To put it another way, I just got back from a weekend of spirited riding with Monk and the boys in the mountains of Arkansas, in most cases riding the twisties at 20 mph+ over the posted speed...and I thought the bike handled quite nicely in the OEM stock configuration. If I can't equate improved safety or handling to making this upgrade, I probably won't do it.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Murgie,

My question was unclear. The issue is, I am debating the whole concept of replacing the rear spring and shock assembly with the Traxxion product. What I was looking for...and Fred supplied the info...was the physical differences between the two options. Now, what I need to decide is if the difference between the two will really deliver a significant improvement in the handling of my new 2012. I understand the need to improve the dampening with the AK20 cartidges, and further tighten up the front end with the Traxxion triple clamp and brace. But I'm still on the fence about going to all the work to remove the gas tank, etc. to replace the rear spring and shock...just not convinced that I need to do this to "enhance" my style of riding. To put it another way, I just got back from a weekend of spirited riding with Monk and the boys in the mountains of Arkansas, in most cases riding the twisties at 20 mph+ over the posted speed...and I thought the bike handled quite nicely in the OEM stock configuration. If I can't equate improved safety or handling to making this upgrade, I probably won't do it.
Probably what you need to do is find a bike with a Traxxion rear shock on it and ride it and then you can decide for yourself if you think it is worth it. The 2012 rear shock and spring does feel to me like it is improved over the previous bikes a little, but in my opinion, it still is not nearly as good as a Traxxion rear shock. If you're looking for the best, I'd replace it with a Traxxion. Also, keep in mind that you can also sell your 2012 shock and recover some of the costs of the Traxxion shock, since folks are looking for 2012 shocks to upgrade older and higher mileage bikes with.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Another point to consider...

The Traxxion spring / shock combination is better, more tuneable, and will provide higher performance but it is also less reliable than stock.

Search "traxxion shock failure" on this forum and you will find a few cases where the rear shock failed on someone. Fred is correct that they are rebuildable but if you are 1500 miles from home when it needs to be rebuilt, that might not be much of a consolation.

The stock shock is not that adjustable and is not as high performance but it's pretty much bulletproof and RARELY fails. (I won't say never because I'm sure there has been a few...but they are few and far between...like 100's of thousands of miles)

When I had my 2001, I replaced the rear shock / spring with a 2012 OEM shock and a progressive spring and it was WAY better than the 2001 with the softer spring. On my 2013, I haven't done anything. I MAY replace the rear spring with an 1100 pound one but I won't be swapping to a Traxxion shock because I don't need absolute performance in my wing and trading OEM reliability for Traxxion shock performance but less reliability doesn't make sense to me.

By the way....I think Traxxion is a great company. I have a Traxxion springs on front and have their triple tree and it made a huge difference but kept stock reliability. My other hobby is sportbike track riding and many guys use traxxion stuff there and I wouldn't be afraid of it at all in that situation. That environment is all about performance so it makes sense and if your rear shock needs a rebuild in that situation, you aren't 1500 miles from home.

Bottom line....there is usually a trade off between performance and longevity.

On my track bike, I usually opt for performance. On my wing, I usually opt for longevity.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
The Traxxion spring / shock combination is better, more tuneable, and will provide higher performance but it is also less reliable than stock.

Search "traxxion shock failure" on this forum and you will find a few cases where the rear shock failed on someone. Fred is correct that they are rebuildable but if you are 1500 miles from home when it needs to be rebuilt, that might not be much of a consolation.
I believe if you look at the dates of the posts about Traxxion rear shock failures, you'll find they are older posts before Traxxion changed the design of the seals used in the rear shock. I have not heard of any Traxxion rear shock failures since they changed the seal design a couple years or so ago. Also if you send an older shock for rebuild or it has an issue, they will install the new style seal in it when they rebuild it. Traxxion has had zero rear shocks returned for failures that had the new seal style installed.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I believe if you look at the dates of the posts about Traxxion rear shock failures, you'll find they are older posts before Traxxion changed the design of the seals used in the rear shock. I have not heard of any Traxxion rear shock failures since they changed the seal design a couple years or so ago.
Thanks Fred...good to know.

Any idea of what kind of trouble free miles people are getting on them? If they've only been out a couple of years, we may need to wait a few more years before you have quite a few of them over 100K+ miles to really tell the story.

Also...you mention that they can be rebuilt...what is the recommended rebuild interval? Maybe that's the relevant point anyway....as long as they can repeatedly make it to the rebuild interval without issue, they would probably go 100's of thousands of miles if rebuilt and maintaned properly.

If so, the rebuild is really the critical piece. Can you rebuild it in place or do you have to pull the shock? I'm guessing you'd have to pull it so a rebuild is probably $400+ if you have someone else do it and 4+ hours of work if you do it yourself. That's not a ridiculous number as long as the rebuild interval is 25K miles or more but it's still a piece of the puzzle where you are trading maintenance free longevity for maintenance required performance and a person should be aware of the trade off before going that route.

PS...Truth be told.... I'm probably a bit scared to ride a bike with a Traxxion rear shock...I might love it and have to switch. I definitely liked how my bike performed after you put Traxxion on the front end. I guess I should just trust you to put the rear on too. ;)

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Traxxion recommends rebuilding them about every 50K miles. They charge about $225 for a rebuild. I have one with around 70K miles on it now. I had it rebuilt once when I removed it from the 2009 and installed it in the 2012 simply because it seemed like a good time to have it done, since I already had it out of the bike. They turned it around in a couple days.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Penske makes the Traxxion rear shock, they make some of the best motorcycle shocks out there.

With the pace and way you ride, I would not compromise on the rear shock. Put it on and you know best setup available.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have 30,000 trouble free miles on my Trax shock. I just had the Triple Tree put on last Saturday. Now I know I have the best and don't have to wonder if there is something better out there. Yes, expensive but I did the Full Monty 30k ago and just added the tree. Does not hurt so much if you do them separately.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Jim…as you are going to have the AK-20's and triple trees installed anyway, I'd suggest you consider "not" having the fork brace installed and apply that $$ to the rear shock install. The % of improvement to the rear would be far more beneficial than the % of loss to the front. To me, the triple trees make the brace an obsolete item.

Buy once…Cry once!!

Wish Traxxion worked on WP suspension…I'd be there in a heart beat!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts