GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max
Have you ever thought of making a foot for the sidestand ? After installation of you suspension the bike needs about 3/8 of an inch added to the side stand. Someone used to make a clamp on extension for the 1500, one similar to that would be nice. Two halves bolted together.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The old Fish stand is just the right length and many people who bought them don't like them because they stand the bike straight up. I just bought won here and it works perfect. Put a WTB ad in the Classified section.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Rivco already makes a sidestand pad (sold at HDL) that should help. I've had Rivco's sidestand on my '03 pretty much from day one since I often park on soft ground. I haven't re-installed the Traxxion suspension yet (waiting for All Balls from HDL's last sale) to know how much it helps, but even if the Rivco sidestand doesn't add enough depth, it would be easy to add or weld material to the bottom of the pad.

Arthur

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have one of the 1500 clamp style side stand ends. A little grinding and my 1800 OEM fits in it fine. The original Fish stand was to tall for my liking.

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
The Rivco one is pretty clean, and I put one on our bike to try it. We will likely make one similar someday. Just need to get time in the machine shop.

We want to make billet triples for the wing soon too. :twisted:

S

·
0 Posts
:Max...don't even :evil: I'm broke enough already...
would be totally cool though I must admit :twisted:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cal-D said:
Max
Have you ever thought of making a foot for the sidestand ? After installation of you suspension the bike needs about 3/8 of an inch added to the side stand. Someone used to make a clamp on extension for the 1500, one similar to that would be nice. Two halves bolted together.
I measured more like 3/4 of an inch.
I bought a used stand on eBay to experiment with.
I all most bust a nut when the wing is in a small dip and I'm hooked up to the Gerbings. That small dip and my short Gerbings cords don't give me a running jump on getting that big beast upright :cus:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,793 Posts
Max McAllister said:
Why would you make replacement triples for this bike?

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Roadie said:
Max McAllister said:
Why would you make replacement triples for this bike?
Shhhhhhhhh.... it's a secret. :twisted:

A GSXR600 with a 45mm Showa fork (like the GL) (with a tube with half of the wall thickness the GL has) does not need a fork brace. If you give input on the handlebars, the bike reacts.

A GL turns whenever you can get 'er to decide to roll over. On the freeway, a GL's steering response... well, it doesn't. Try wiggling the handlebars back and forth about an inch or two (as hard and as fast as you want...). The bike will continue to go straight.

That's because the clamps are twisting. A fork brace gets rid of a lot of this, but at the expense of unsprung weight (the wheel, tire and brakes already weigh a ton). So if you had a nice beefy set of clamps, you would have more responsive steering, and less unsprung weight.

:)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Max
If your set up raises the bike up 3/4in how about the vertically
Challenged with a 29in Inseam.?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
The Rivco pads have been good to my Traxxion altitudes

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I ran a 180/70R-16 for a long time. It raised the rear end enough that the kick stand was to short. I cut and welded a one inch square piece of tubing to the bottom of the kick stand. You can see that kick stand on www.ka7w.com under my pictures and under Car tire pictures ... Some good ones of the kick stand..

I hope someone will get some ideas from this post..

Thanks Strider !! :D

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
A great cultural leader, who was responsible for the renovations of many of the business buildings in South L.A. once said: "Why can't we all just get along"

I 'll just let you folks contemplate that one!

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
http://www.toemoss.com/pictures/main.php?g2_itemId=994

Wow... that looks great!

Man, what craftsmanship!

That gives us a great deal of insight into the incredible array of talents and engineering skills you have been telling us about.

I think you should start another company and market that product. I bet there are thousands of people who would love to have a sidestand like that hanging off of the side of their $22,000 machines.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Thanks Max and Arn Butt, I am proud of that accomplishment although I do not have a 22,000 motorcycle. As you can see, My motorcycle is for action, not talking !! :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
The Goldwing board: where you can see people putting car parts in motorcycle, racing challenges across diverse tracks, ball size tournaments, macho environment riding skils, entrepenurial assertability contests, and now ladies and gentlemen: the first side stand annual playoffs....

My entry is an electronic side stand I designed myself with my computer...whenever I stop, a little sexy voice comes through the helmet speakers and asks me "do you want me to go down now?"...If I say no, then the sidestand stays; if I say yes, the side stand goes down. Plus, it has an automatically sensing hydraulics that extends the length of the stand to match the surface angle...no matter where I park, my bike is sitting at a programed 70deg. upon dismounting the bike it pours me a cold beer.

which brings to mind this little insignificant quote:

The fountain of content must spring up in the mind,
and he who hath so little knowledge of human nature as
to seek happiness by changing anything but his own
disposition, will waste his life in fruitless efforts
and multiply the grief he proposes to remove...
Samuel Johnson

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Nando said:
My entry is an electronic side stand I designed myself with my computer...whenever I stop, a little sexy voice comes through the helmet speakers and asks me "do you want me to go down now?"...If I say no, then the sidestand stays; if I say yes, the side stand goes down. Plus, it has an automatically sensing hydraulics that extends the length of the stand to match the surface angle...no matter where I park, my bike is sitting at a programed 70deg. upon dismounting the bike it pours me a cold beer.
I hope it's not chrome...

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Nando,

Do you have to read and memorize all of those in the process of getting a PhD ?? :lol:

JMHO 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts