GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: Is it mandatory to diable the antidive when you install Traxxion fork springs? My antidive is currently performing as designed since it has been maintained. I plan to add the brace, springs and new oil, and other parts if needed when I take the forks apart tomorrow. One more thing, will the ride height change? Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Steve
Denver

S

·
0 Posts
It is not mandatory but I sure would do it as all ADV units stick sooner or later. You won't notice any difference in dive only a consistent ride. The ride height will be about 1/4-1/2 inch different so here again you will not notice any change.

You will experience a slight change in ride with different springs but again the actual difference is slight the imagined difference can be dramatic however.
Typically disabling a stuck ADV is much more noticeable than any other change.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi All: Is it mandatory to diable the antidive when you install Traxxion fork springs? My antidive is currently performing as designed since it has been maintained. I plan to add the brace, springs and new oil, and other parts if needed when I take the forks apart tomorrow. One more thing, will the ride height change? Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Steve
Denver
It's a bit complicated. Traxxion springs come with matching preload spacers, and those will change the sag from about 3 inches (60%), to a more normal number for a motorcycle, which for a street bike is 30-40%. I've heard that it's something like 1-1/2 inches. Traxxion recommends you slide the fork tubes up about 2/5 of an inch, not the whole distance, to reduce the change in ride height. That, and the fact that the change in sag is on an angle, reduces the change in ride height to something like 3/4 inch.

Also, the increased spring rate will compress the internal top out spring on the right fork, which may make the forks slightly different in length. It's somewhat controversial over whether to just compress the longer fork a bit to get the axle in, or to raise the forks to different heights to let the axle slide right in.

My personal opinion is there's nothing wrong with a properly functioning antidive valve. Changing the brake fluid at the recommended intervals should keep it functioning.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I had my forks rebuilt and traxxion springs installed at 53K and what a difference it made. Big bang for your buck. I had mine done at Midwest in Indiana.

To your question, Paul at Midwest recommended diabling the ADV. I went with his advice and have never missed it. One less thing to worry about and you will never miss the ADV. JMO

Fred

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
It will not blow-up of you keep using the AD so long as the AD is finctioning. If the AD gets sticky, the seal will drip sooner or later. You can experiment with the AD out of commission and in service very easily just by removing the two small bolts that hold the sections together and supporting the loose part with a wire tie. You can disable it in a recoverable fashion by placing a suitable spacer between the halves. I think you are better served by changing only the springs at first and then later trying the AD disconnect -- that way you know which mod did what.

But don't nix the AD with sacked-out springs or you will be bouncing on bottom too much.

prs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts