GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate if some owners would give us some feedback on the tire pressures they run with our kit.

I would like to know:

1. If your tire wear improved significantly, after the kit.

2. If you still run the tires near maximum pressure, or use the same pressures as before you got the kit.

3. If you have run lower pressures to get better grip and not had tire cupping return, or lose noticeable tire life.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Max;

When the installation is done at your facillity for a full-pull (F&R) kit; how do you guys set-up the tires, pressure wise?

prs

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Will do.

Along with the Spring Kit I replaced the front tire, so the Upgrade, and the tire will have the same mileage.

I run 41#'s in the front All the time. The last tire yielded over 22K. :eek:

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Max McAllister said:
I would appreciate if some owners would give us some feedback on the tire pressures they run with our kit.

I would like to know:

2. If you still run the tires near maximum pressure, or use the same pressures as before you got the kit.

3. If you have run lower pressures to get better grip and not had tire cupping return, or lose noticeable tire life.

Thanks!
1. It's been my experence that my front tire does wear much better with the AK-20 kit than it did with the stock suspension. I replaced my front tire at 18000 miles and it was smooth and round, worn down to the wear bars. With the stock suspension my front tires would start to cup at around the 6000 miles no matter what tire pressure I tried. I run 36 psi in the front tire and 41 in the rear tire.

Here is a picture of the front tire with 18000 miles of wear. My bike also would wobble on decel with this tire before the AK-20 kit and the All Balls steering bearing were installed. After the ungrades, the decel wobble was cured using this same tire. This tire actually looked pretty good on the bike and I was tempted to use for another couple thousand miles, but it slid on me a bit on a wet road in a curve for the first time, so I replaced it.

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pigeon Roost said:
Max;

When the installation is done at your facillity for a full-pull (F&R) kit; how do you guys set-up the tires, pressure wise?

prs

We don't set up tires for people. Actually, that seems to be one topic most wingers have a solid opinion on, and nobody really asks us about it.

So I was just wondering what people had seen and figured out with TP and our kit. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
My stock tires had 4500 on it b4 your suspension. I changed both tires at 10000, both had good profiles with even wear. Tire pressure was 40 frt and 42 rear. Rear was real close the the bars. The front could have went another 1 maybe 2 more.
Got the Stones 704 and 709 on now, trying 39 frt and 40 rear. Do most of my riding off the saddle in the mtns. BUT did a 1500 miler two weeks ago to FL over the weekend on the slab.

What do you all think of my pressure on the Stones :?: First time I've used them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have brand new tires with the full upgrade but kinda hesitant to change from 40 and 40, but will be a good candidate for checking cupping. Metz on front and bridgestone on rear. Will let you know

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Max
Before the upgrade I ran 40F & 41R, I now run 38F and 40R. I think the ride is smother and also believe I have better grip. No enough miles yet to see any real change except I now have about 6000 since the upgrade and the tires show no sign of cupping whereas before they started to cup by 4000.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The bike handles so rock solid that I haven't lower the tire pressure. This has been the best change I've made on the bike so far.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Max said:
My tires now wear much faster. My rear tires previously lasted 133% longer.
I blame the wear on the superior handling of the bike. I find myself riding much faster...
Fuel economy has also suffered.

Max said:
I run one pound lower than before; 41/42 now.

Max said:
The front didn't cup before, doesn't cup now. The rear cupped a little before, cups like crazy now (on the leading edge of the sipes). There's almost no wear in the center of the rear tire.

I'm trying to ride slower now.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tires after Traxxion

Max

This isn't going to help, but...

No, not that I can tell. Only 5,000 miles on Traxxion.

Same as before 38/41

Does not apply, see above.

Some comments not asked for but some may find interesting.

I have the whole deal, including AK20, rear Traxion, Head bearing, and Kury brace.

My front is cupped, but it was cupped before the mods. About 2000 miles after the Traxxion mods, my wobble, head shake was terrible. Thats with hands on, you could not take hands off. Found a LARGE bulge in my rear Metzeler that had 9,000 miles on it. Changed tire, no more problem.

Why did I mention this? To let you know that as good as the Traxxion mods are. They will not correct a major problem with your bike. Nor should they...

If you have a wobble, do not assume it is "just the wing wobble" and walk away. Maybe it is... Maybe it isn't...

By the way. I love my Traxxion.

Thanks Max.

John

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I run 41psi religiously in my mind...on the tire itself I usually run whatever they happen to have...I know, I know...I 'm trying!...I am improving cause this month alone I check it twice

.....but one of the farfetch reasons to have a Wing--instead of a Hardly--was so I did not have to do a 45 minute pre-flight prior to departure....check and see if all the pieces were there from the last ride....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maxx - full suspension kit installed last May.

Tire pressure 40/41

Also have not had cupping since modification.

Previous tires would cup with in 3K to 5K now have over 8K on both and they are fine.

Never ran lower pressure, treid lower a few times and the bike rides smoother but the feel is sloppy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts