GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I can answer this question myself. But, i would like to hear what you guys think. I am not an aggressive rider anymore. I was when i was younger on sportbikes. But, i do like to ride it like a sportbike once in a while. I just got the bike this year so, i am still getting used to it. i have put over 5k on it going from ny down to florida and back , then to virginia and back in addition to my local riding. the bike has 30k now. It was purchased from russellville in arkansas so it has been around.
I am 5'10 165 pounds. I mostly ride solo and without a lot of gear. But, i noticed the 2up w/ luggage setting feels best to me. First setting feels way too soft (over bumps). the last setting I can deal with. Most of the roads I ride are smooth though. Thing is, Idk how long I'm going to keep the bike or how often I will have a passenger regularly.
I make a decent wage so spending around $2k is not going to kill me financially. But, I also want to be smart about it. If they come out with a better bike/suspension in a year or two, I might want that. So, it's hard to see the future.
So here are a couple of questions:
1) If i decide to do it, I want to do it myself. Will it be manageable with Fred's videos and the honda service manual, are there any videos out there to show how it's done? I have done steering bearings/ replaced shocks/taken apart rear swingarm/final drive on my vtx. I know this is going to be different. But, I'm pretty good with wrenching.
2) Would you do it in my shoes under my circumstances?
If I do this, i want to do it over the winter being here in NY. I think the answer to my question is a personal decision if I think it would be worth it. But, it is hard to know without sampling the goods. So, I guess the best answers would come from guys that are in a similar situation and don't ride 2 up , are not lightweights like me, etc. Thanks

·
Registered
White 2018 DCT Tour
842 Posts
All good questions. I flew into Dallas to pick up my '18, and rode home. On that ride, i decided, for sure, that I would change the seat to an RDL. I was pretty sure that I would go Traxxion (I had both on my '07). Fortunately, I had a friend (thanks @ssncob) with an '18 which already had Traxxion. We swapped bikes and went on a moderate ride, so I could see the difference. I made my Traxxion appointment the next day, and have never regretted the decision. Look around and see if you have friends who have the '18+, with Traxxion. The only good decision is the one which makes your ride better for you. I've often thought it would be a great ride-in if we could get riders together and let people who are considering making a change to sit/ride a Wing with the change already in place. It would have saved me the expense of 3 modified seats (on the '07) before I got to the RDL.

As far as do-it-yourself, I don't know the answers; at one time, Max would not sell suspension parts to individuals. That was years ago, and a different generation of Wing. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Good luck in finding your perfect ride.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I picked up my 2006 from the dealer never having ridden a wing before for any significant time, one of the first thoughts I had was this suspension sucks. Had the Traxxion full monty installed by Adam in NH. I loved it! I mostly rode two up and very aggressive. Fast forward to 2018 DCT, suspension is much better than previous. I am also riding much less aggressively although still like to have fun. The suspension does not limit my riding style and cannot justify the expense of adding Traxxion.
Just my opinion, good luck on your decision.

·
Premium Member
2021 Golding Bagger, 2006 GL1800P
525 Posts
When I bought my 2021, I had the dealer order the Traxxion front and rear shocks. I installed them myself. It's not for the faint of heart. This bike takes some doing to get to the front shock. There are videos out there to help assist. Max does a three part video on it, pointing out the things you need to do and where to access the bolt removals and bodywork panels that need to be removed (which is almost all of them).

As far as the ride, the stock set up is under sprung. The 21 starts where my 06 with the Mega Monty Traxxion systems is currently at. Replacing the front and rear shocks is a huge difference on this bike. Add to that this bike carries the weight even lower than previous generations, and you have a bike that will carve canyons all day long as well as be the best interstate bike that you can imagine. The seat to a Russell (or other aftermarket) is a must. I just completed a 6 day 6000 mile ride including a day at Russell getting my seat done. I can ride all day over 1000 mile days with no discomfort at all.

I have invested in setting the bike up for it's intended purpose, long distance Rally riding. On that ride, I had a grand total of 500 interstate miles. The rest were twisty roads to remote areas of Oregon, Northern Cali, Nevada, Idaho, Montana and Washington.

This bike is an amazing ride when you get it fully set up to fit you and your riding style. I still need to dial in the preload but didn't mess with it since my better half was not aboard on this ride and I had Traxxion set up the springs for 2 up riding with and aux fuel tank and top case combo that adds about 60 lbs to the bike in addition to the second rider. It was a bit over sprung for single rider, but not bad.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I think I can answer this question myself. But, i would like to hear what you guys think. I am not an aggressive rider anymore. I was when i was younger on sportbikes. But, i do like to ride it like a sportbike once in a while. I just got the bike this year so, i am still getting used to it. i have put over 5k on it going from ny down to florida and back , then to virginia and back in addition to my local riding. the bike has 30k now. It was purchased from russellville in arkansas so it has been around.
I am 5'10 165 pounds. I mostly ride solo and without a lot of gear. But, i noticed the 2up w/ luggage setting feels best to me. First setting feels way too soft (over bumps). the last setting I can deal with. Most of the roads I ride are smooth though. Thing is, Idk how long I'm going to keep the bike or how often I will have a passenger regularly.
I make a decent wage so spending around $2k is not going to kill me financially. But, I also want to be smart about it. If they come out with a better bike/suspension in a year or two, I might want that. So, it's hard to see the future.
So here are a couple of questions:
1) If i decide to do it, I want to do it myself. Will it be manageable with Fred's videos and the honda service manual, are there any videos out there to show how it's done? I have done steering bearings/ replaced shocks/taken apart rear swingarm/final drive on my vtx. I know this is going to be different. But, I'm pretty good with wrenching.
2) Would you do it in my shoes under my circumstances?
If I do this, i want to do it over the winter being here in NY. I think the answer to my question is a personal decision if I think it would be worth it. But, it is hard to know without sampling the goods. So, I guess the best answers would come from guys that are in a similar situation and don't ride 2 up , are not lightweights like me, etc. Thanks
I ride a 2018 DCT Tour that now has 103,000 miles on it. I was completely happy with the stock suspension and like you I rode it two up with luggage most of the time. I ended up building a fairly large carrier (kind of like a pak it rak) and I noticed that it would bottom out on some bumps when I also had a passenger. That prompted me to look into aftermarket suspension and I was fortunate to test ride both the Traxxion and the Wilburs. You get more with the Wilburs, but you also pay more. I ended up going with the Traxxion and did the install myself. While time consuming, I thought it was actually pretty easy. I did the upgrade at 94,000 miles on the bike so I have ridden it about 9,000 miles since the install. Immediately after the installation it sure seemed like the ride was really stiff and I found myself riding most of the time set on just one person and no luggage. When I took my trip using the carrier fully loaded and my wife in the pillion I switched it to two up with luggage. Now after 9,000 miles I just leave it two up with luggage all of the time and it doesn't really feel any different than stock as I am so used to it now. Hope this aids in making your decision. YMMV

Reactions: igetaround

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
man...at my weight and my riding preference(2 up, loaded) it was a no brainer. it would bottom out frequently and even eject my wife on square edge road defects. the advantage, as i see it with your weight and riding preference would be, 1-itll track better in turns, especially with corrupt road surfaces. the front or rear ends wont skip or step out. 2-youll be riding higher in the shock stroke with better rebound and dampening. i have a youtube video on my break down of the traxxion works. if you want, message me for the link. ive heard that if you can get to the air filter, then you can do this yourself. me, id rather pay for someone to, lol.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
517 Posts
I think the only thing I don't like about the Traxxion option is that I think they do not integrate with the stock adjustable damping system. It would have been nice if Max had come up with an upgrade to allow that.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I find the Traxxion Dynamics discussions interesting, especially the number of people who say they experience bottoming out problems frequently.

That surprises me. I live in Alberta where freeze-thaw cycles make some of our roads look like they’re used for carpet bombing practice. Since owning my ‘19 DCT Tour bought in June, 2019, I’ve bottomed out (gently) the suspension EXACTLY ONCE. Just like I’ve bottomed out the suspension once on former bikes, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300A, ST1100A, and BMW R1150RT.

On my June 7,200 km, 16-day tour from Alberta through Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, to Missouri and back, the Wing DID NOT BOTTOM OUT ONCE.

I ride solo, had the bike’s suspension set at Rider + Luggage, and my weight with full gear plus luggage totalled 240 pounds. I was travelling with 5 friends on BMWs, and we ride briskly - posted speed limit + 10 km/h.

For me, the ‘19 DCT Tour Wing’s stock suspension works VERY well.

I “get” some owners don’t like the new Wing’s factory suspension tuning, and there are many, many owners who are happy with their aftermarket suspensions. That’s terrific.

You sound like you’re convinced to do the aftermarket mod. Go for it. Motorcycling is a hobby. Do it because it makes you happy.

Tim

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
517 Posts
To your point T, I will mentioned that I have personally found that the stock suspension seems to have gotten better over time. At first, I thought I was bottoming out, but after watching Max's videos on the topic, I guess that's somewhat subjective. Is hitting the bumper considered bottoming out? In Max's definition, yes. However, that bumper does compress, but at some point will not deflect anymore so at what point are you truly bottoming out? When the bumper stops compressing or is it when the bumper is first touched.

Either way, it seems to me that the shocks don't hit as harshly with bad road conditions like it did at first. Perhaps this is due to using the ride+luggage setting (2+luggage with the girlfriend), or I'm simply getting used to it? Can't say for sure, but I'm comfortable enough that changing the shocks isn't a high priority, and I take my girl friend for rides alot. Just my misc ramblings.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I ride a 2018 DCT Tour that now has 103,000 miles on it. I was completely happy with the stock suspension and like you I rode it two up with luggage most of the time. I ended up building a fairly large carrier (kind of like a pak it rak) and I noticed that it would bottom out on some bumps when I also had a passenger. That prompted me to look into aftermarket suspension and I was fortunate to test ride both the Traxxion and the Wilburs. You get more with the Wilburs, but you also pay more. I ended up going with the Traxxion and did the install myself. While time consuming, I thought it was actually pretty easy. I did the upgrade at 94,000 miles on the bike so I have ridden it about 9,000 miles since the install. Immediately after the installation it sure seemed like the ride was really stiff and I found myself riding most of the time set on just one person and no luggage. When I took my trip using the carrier fully loaded and my wife in the pillion I switched it to two up with luggage. Now after 9,000 miles I just leave it two up with luggage all of the time and it doesn't really feel any different than stock as I am so used to it now. Hope this aids in making your decision. YMMV
Do you have any pictures of your modified Large carrier.. Getting ready to do some trips and looking for ideas.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I find the Traxxion Dynamics discussions interesting, especially the number of people who say they experience bottoming out problems frequently.

That surprises me. I live in Alberta where freeze-thaw cycles make some of our roads look like they’re used for carpet bombing practice. Since owning my ‘19 DCT Tour bought in June, 2019, I’ve bottomed out (gently) the suspension EXACTLY ONCE. Just like I’ve bottomed out the suspension once on former bikes, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300A, ST1100A, and BMW R1150RT.

On my June 7,200 km, 16-day tour from Alberta through Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, to Missouri and back, the Wing DID NOT BOTTOM OUT ONCE.

I ride solo, had the bike’s suspension set at Rider + Luggage, and my weight with full gear plus luggage totalled 240 pounds. I was travelling with 5 friends on BMWs, and we ride briskly - posted speed limit + 10 km/h.

For me, the ‘19 DCT Tour Wing’s stock suspension works VERY well.

I “get” some owners don’t like the new Wing’s factory suspension tuning, and there are many, many owners who are happy with their aftermarket suspensions. That’s terrific.

You sound like you’re convinced to do the aftermarket mod. Go for it. Motorcycling is a hobby. Do it because it makes you happy.

Tim
You and I seem to think alike on a lot of issues.

I am now on my fourth wing. Three gen 5’s and one gen 6 now with about 35K miles on it. All of the gen 5’s had some level of Traxxion suspension upgrade with the last two having the full monte conversion. My 2018 gen 6 has stock suspension and I see no need to change that.

I ride pretty hard and the older gen 5s dived under hard braking and “wallowed” in rough, high speed sweepers to the point (for my style and pace of riding) I was willing to pay for the stiffer Trax suspension for safety’s sake. Money well spent.

The new suspension on the gen 6’s is so good in my opinion, I don‘t see any need to upgrade until this suspension is worn completely out. It does everything I need it to do for a bike it’s size and is the best suspension set up Honda has put on a wing. My other bike is a RT with Telelever suspension which is arguably the best of the best and my wing is pretty darn close.

If you want to buy Traxxion suspension, go for it. It is certainly a good product and will give you a stiffer suspension but …..”in my opinion”…..the stock set ups capabilities exceed all but the VERY best riders abilities.

Wait a couple of minutes fellas while I go put my flame suit on…..

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
yes the rubber stopper is part of Honda's design plan but after about 15,000 miles, when i had my suspension done, the rubber stopper looked like it had been beaten. the stock set up barely allows any travel once the weight of the rider, the passenger and all the gear . just over an inch, I believe. the front end engineering hides a lot of fault. if these were standard forks, the set up wopuld probably be worse than previous gen GW's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stock suspension has a plush and very comfortable ride. Ideal for easy cruising. Less ideal for chasing 1250 GS in the mountains.

Traxxion and alike are firmer. It is possible to increase ground clearance. Ideal for twisties and Sport mode. Comfortable enough for cruising.

It is up to your riding style.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

I am now on my fourth wing. Three gen 5’s and one gen 6 now with about 35K miles on it. All of the gen 5’s had some level of Traxxion suspension upgrade with the last two having the full monte conversion. My 2018 gen 6 has stock suspension and I see no need to change that.

I ride pretty hard and the older gen 5s dived under hard braking and “wallowed” in rough, high speed sweepers to the point (for my style and pace of riding) I was willing to pay for the stiffer Trax suspension for safety’s sake. Money well spent.

The new suspension on the gen 6’s is so good in my opinion, I don‘t see any need to upgrade until this suspension is worn completely out. It does everything I need it to do for a bike it’s size and is the best suspension set up Honda has put on a wing. My other bike is a RT with Telelever suspension which is arguably the best of the best and my wing is pretty darn close.

If you want to buy Traxxion suspension, go for it. It is certainly a good product and will give you a stiffer suspension but …..”in my opinion”…..the stock set ups capabilities exceed all but the VERY best riders abilities.

Bulitt,

I’ll respectfully disagree with you on the RT’s suspension being slightly better than the ‘18+ Wings’.

In my experience (coming from a ‘14 BMW R1200RT then testing a ‘19 R1250RT back-to-back against a ‘19 DCT Tour, both of which were dealer demo bikes), I found the RT’s suspension - which I LOVED - to have marginally less dampening control on rough, 120+ km/h pavement than did the ‘19 Wing.).

I’ve said this previously - the difference between the RT’s and Wing’s suspensions are so minimal, I doubt one could differentiate between them unless conducting side-by-side comparisons like I did. The RT exhibited the very slightest bit more ‘floatiness’ at 120 km/h on the rough highway than did the Wing in my testing. That extra dampening control and the DCT transmission are what sealed the deal on the Wing (and I’m a self-professed BMW fanboy. 😀)

Tim

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,834 Posts

I rode a 2003 with Traxxion suspension with the aluminum trees before my 2018 and your post is pretty much how I feel...I'm in no hurry to replace the suspension. I did ride to Georgia and rode Traxxion's demo bike. I thought it rode a bit stiff for my liking but no doubt would be better if you ride two up most of the time..especally if your passanger is on the heavy side...when its time for new shocks I would look into the lighter springs with the Traxxion shocks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts