GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a used GL1800 and doing the full front/rear Traxxion suspension upgrade. I want the bike so my wife can ride with me, but want the bike to have more cornering clearance and be more aggressive in twisties. I have read that some riders think the mods made the suspension too stiff for most street riding. I would like to hear opinions from wing riders who have done the Traxxion mods. Thanks-Carl

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find someone who:

Has done the upgrade who doesn't think it's worth every penny.
To find someone who rides more twisties than I do and/or has more miles on Traxxion 1800s.

It does not make the ride more harsh at all. It can feel a little firmer to some. but what it does best is to eliminate the harshness when you hit expansion joints and/or abrupt bumps.

As far as the twisties: The bike, to me, felt 200 pounds lighter and held its line so much better.

I feel that a proper suspension allows the Wing to handle more like an FJR than a 900 lb touring bike. The overall handling improvement is very confidance inspiring.

Remember that they have a money-back guarantee. :yes1:

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I would recommend you do the seals, brace, ALL BALLS steering head, front valving and rear suspension. I have not ridden the complete Monty with the TRIPLE TREES.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My original deal full monty is not at all harsh; in fact, the bottom prone OE suspension was HARSH.

prs

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I think I have more miles on the Traxxion system Paul.

Traxxion is the way to go.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had a Traxxion upgrade done about 4 months ago, what it seems to do for me is take some of the "mush" out of the suspension. I feel dips a bit more, as the bike 'aims' down, but coming out of the dip I don't feel the 'slam' of the suspension hitting the top. I am hard-pressed to feel reflectors on the highway at 75+ MPH. The bike is higher, so in theory you'll have greater lean ability.

Basically it takes a great bike to ride and pushes it just a bit further towards perfection.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
...To find someone who rides more twisties than I do and/or has more miles on Traxxion 1800s.
I think TnCharlie might have you both beat. He's got 200,000+ miles and he left this morning on a 10+ day trip which should add another 4-5000 miles to the tally.

I've only got about 50,000 miles on my Traxxion suspension, but after a new seat and risers, the Traxxion suspension was the third best investment I made in my bike. Not harsh at all.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

Traxxion is the way to go.
I've got about 200k on Traxxion on 2 different 1800s. Where you at?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I think TnCharlie might have you both beat. He's got 200,000+ miles and he left this morning on a 10+ day trip which should add another 4-5000 miles to the tally.

I've only got about 50,000 miles on my Traxxion suspension, but after a new seat and risers, the Traxxion suspension was the third best investment I made in my bike. Not harsh at all.
Bart, kinda depends on when Charlie had his done. My memory says he had some miles on it before Traxxion. :shrug: Either way, it's darn close.

We should point out that he's put them all on it and it's an '05, I think.

Doug, I still got you and Charlie beat in the "twisties rode" catagory. :lol: What do I win? :joke:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I am thinking about buying a used GL1800 and doing the full front/rear Traxxion suspension upgrade. I want the bike so my wife can ride with me, but want the bike to have more cornering clearance and be more aggressive in twisties. I have read that some riders think the mods made the suspension too stiff for most street riding. I would like to hear opinions from wing riders who have done the Traxxion mods. Thanks-Carl
Sometimes I wonder if the people who say the Traxxion suspension rides stiff have the suspension set right for there weight.

Traxxion setup my bikes suspension for two up riding. When riding solo my bike does feel a bit firmer than when riding two up, but over the bumps it' not harsh.
When riding two up you can really tell the suspension was tuned for the weight of two up riding. Riding two up, my bike rides very plush....like a Cadillac, plush, but with a firm precise feel over road bumps that is just so confident inspiring. After 6 years this bike still makes me grin with it's performance while leaning it over in a fast bumpy curve riding two up. IMO, it's well worth the money upgrading the suspension with this bike...especally if you ride two up most of the time, it just makes the wing so much more enjoyable to ride.

I rode all the 2011 touring machines at the demo rides in Daytona this past spring, both solo and two up. Nothing I rode, felt better than my 2003 Traxxion Wing....second best was the Victory Vision.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ok the street, the normal rider, hey it makes it a different bike.

Forget the twisty roads, just go for a ride.

The bike will hold and track the line without wandering.

Low speed handling is greatly improved, just inch the clutch half an inch at a time and never put your feet down. Unless traffic just decides to stop and eat lunch.

The original harsh ride is mostly gone, the bumps and jars are more subdued and the bike just rolls over the bumps, not with any jarring.

Bike will be smooth on the interstate at high speeds.

Now you can go to the twisty roads, now you have clearance and it holds the line you put it in and will not crow hop around the curves that have a little dip or bump.

Not just for performance riding, it helps under all conditions, it improves the ride any way you do ride.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
:lol:
Full Monty done about 1500 miles ago at RocketMoto in Hollis NH. 1.1 on front 1.0 spring on rear and all balls. Not stiff at all. I weigh 210 wife 100. Installer takes you info on your weight etc, and what type of riding you want to do. I said plush riding but the bike handles great in all conditions including twisties. Took me awhile to decide to spend the $$$$ but now that I have it I love it. I have several hundred thousand miles under my belt. Riding since 1963 so not new to the sport. The upgrade sure instills confidence in twisties, slow tight turns and slab riding. :lol:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Personally, I can't say enough good things about a suspension upgrade. Any is better than stock, expecially if you get it customized to your riding style and weight. You wife's backside will thank you for it too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Hey Paul.... let's just say we're neck and neck but you'll pass me soon nuff. Without mom it just isn't as much fun anymore. Wife works, kid's in school, nobody to share the trips with. Is what it is.

·
Registered
176 Posts

There's not much I can add that hasn't been already said here. I'm not a hard charger, but the difference in the ride from stock to full blown traxxion is significant. ( In a very good way)

I had mine done in Woodstock Ga. last year and rode home to Long Island and was very satisfied with the improvenment in the ride, even on the highways..

The facility in woodstock is also something to see, it looks more like a surgical operating room, than a suspension/machine shop. What I saw there was an AMERICAN facility making and installing parts made and installed by Americans..

Lastly a few days after I got home, I recived a personal call from the owner to find out if I was sastified and what my riding impressions were. to me thats the best example ofcustomer service an follow up that I've seen in a long time...

A full upgrade is not cheap, but to me it was worth the expense. I'm not a follower or a cool aid drinker, just a very happy customer... Good luck with your choice, if you can ride a bike that has been done first,it will help you decide.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Having rented a stock GL1800 for 6 days and riding from Phoenix to the For Corners Rally in Durango Colorado, riding the San Juan Skyway and surrounding areas, I made the Traxxion install appointment prior to taking delivery of new bike in April of 2007. Made the appointment for the Monday after this years Tennessee Lunch Ride for a fork service and Traxx-Rite triple clamp install...VERY pleased with my purchase and the products/services provided by Traxxion, and would do it all over again without hesitation.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
How about instead of posting silly questions you just call them and yet all of your questions answered directly from the horses mouth

·
Registered
50 Posts
More on Traxxion Upgrade

I wholeheartedly agree. Traxxion front and back is the way to go.I just finished upgrading one of two 2002 bikes.Rode the first one finished and had other GL1800 owners try the new suspension.All agree that it is worth th effort and the money.
Since I live in Puerto Rico,USA,and there are no Traxxion dealers in the Caribbean,Traxxion allowed me to do the install at my own risk ,of course. Mechanics is my hobby since I was in High School ,and for the fun of it,I am a certified mechanic.Since this was my first Traxxion installation,I did it carefully,and Mike and Dan at Traxxion professionally promptly answered doubts. The result is an amazingly changed bike for the better.
I want to publicly thank two board members from San Diego,Rocky Demers and Dan Sherburne for their help.Dan manufactured the rear shock spring compressor not available from Progressive any more,and Rocky not only directed me to Dan,he also got me a rear spring preloader since mine was leaking with broken seals.
A local machine shop, gave a hand with the left fork needed modification to fit the AK-20.
Today we are finishing the font fork replacement on the second bike.
Worth every penny. Here in PR we have a lot of mountain twisties riding and Traxxion makes the hell of a difference..:cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts