GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 Hotrod Yellow Goldwing in April from an auction barn. I was able to get the previous owner's name from the title. I looked him up and called him. In telling me about the bike he mentioned he had Traxxion suspension done by a shop in Indiana. He lives in South Central Illinois so the closest in Indiana would have been Midwest Cycle Works. It is closed now, the owner having retired. I was trying to call him to see if he remembered the owner or the bike.

I have not been able to reach the PO to see what package was installed. It does have a Traxxion Suspension fork brace on it. It rides very stiff, it isn't a soft ride by any means.

My question....finally....is there any way for me to tell what package was installed. After much reading I suspect it might have been the Full Monty.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought a 2003 Hotrod Yellow Goldwing in April from an auction barn. I was able to get the previous owner's name from the title. I looked him up and called him. In telling me about the bike he mentioned he had Traxxion suspension done by a shop in Indiana. He lives in South Central Illinois so the closest in Indiana would have been Midwest Cycle Works. It is closed now, the owner having retired. I was trying to call him to see if he remembered the owner or the bike.

I have not been able to reach the PO to see what package was installed. It does have a Traxxion Suspension fork brace on it. It rides very stiff, it isn't a soft ride by any means.

My question....finally....is there any way for me to tell what package was installed. After much reading I suspect it might have been the Full Monty.

Thanks for any help.
If you do have the full Monty then you should lower your tire pressure. Max at Traxxion has a YouTube video about tire pressures. Your tires cup because of poor suspension. He suggests to lower your fronts down to 32 or 34 if two up in front and 36 or 38 if two up. Mine ride rough and then I lowered mine to 34F, 38R. Now it is like riding on air. Just amazing. Also you are much less likely to skid or lock up your front tire when emergency stopping. In a 6,000 mile trip my tires had no evidence of any cupping. Also, Max said to service the forks every 20,000 miles.
You may want to call Traxxion Dynamics and ask them if there is a way. If you service your forks you'll know. Look at the rear shock and see if it looks stock.
Check your preload on the rear shock. It may be set to high. I am 6'3" and 280# I had to ride with preload at 20. Now with Traxxion I ride with preload at 6 maybe 7. With 180# passenger and full luggage on a trip it's around 14. So if you're not a large person you may want to drop your preload lower if the PO was larger than you.
I have had two dealers put my tire pressure up around 45 on both tires! That causes really rough riding.
Good luck and enjoy your new bike.
Guy

Enjoy your bike.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you can look at your fork caps, it should be pretty obvious. The stock ones are not adjustable and the Traxxion AK20’s (what’s used in full and mega Monty setups) will have an adjuster that sticks out the top.

It is also possible to just have Traxxion springs in the front. You cannot easily tell this vs stock externally.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The hole was drilled in the plastic cover so that you can access the adjuster on top of the fork cap. Those are Traxxion AK-20’s in the front end. The adjuster is a rebound adjuster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks. After a search with images I thought that's what it was. Whether the PO did the All Balls bearings I suspect he did. He mentioned the rear shock also. He said they towed the bike to their destination and then rode 2 up. It probably is set for more weight than I'm running so when I hit any sizeable bump, I'm off the seat. I'll lower tire pressure and how it goes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ok thanks. After a search with images I thought that's what it was. Whether the PO did the All Balls bearings I suspect he did. He mentioned the rear shock also. He said they towed the bike to their destination and then rode 2 up. It probably is set for more weight than I'm running so when I hit any sizeable bump, I'm off the seat. I'll lower tire pressure and how it goes.
What's the preload set at?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Not all of the AK-22's had the adjustment in the caps. The first set of forks I had done with the AK-22 package did not have them. When I had the second one done, the adjustment caps were available as an option (as in not getting by default, but for an extra cost). The best and final answer of having AK-22's is removing the caps and see if the left fork has a rod attached to it (anti-dive side) and there is a visible spring below the spacer. Be sure to have the front wheel off the ground before removing the cap. The rear spring may or may not have a Traxxion Dynamics sock around the shock. But that is still no grantee as it can be put on any shock, even OEM. If you can see the shock, it may have a Traxxion Dynamics sticker on it in a spot you can see. But you may be able to just look at the bottom part of the shock bolted to the linkage. I think most of TD rear shocks have angled outside edges. Think about 1/3 the way around a hexagon with half of a side, a full side, and half of a third side as the shape of the brackets. They almost look rounded. OEM has regular corners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked tire pressure. I had new tires installed at Niehaus in Litchfield, IL. Perhaps the mechanic, who was an older and very wise man, recognized the Wing had Traxxion suspension upgrades and put 32 psi front and 36 rear. I have the rear preload set at 0. It isn't that I dislike the firm ride, I was just surprised being this is my 4th Goldwing. What really bothered me was the trunk rattle. Sounded like the rear plastic was falling off. The first 1800 I test rode at Niehaus in 2001 rattled so much I thought I might not ever own one. I just figured it was the CD changer. So when I had my 2003 serviced at Niehaus I had the wise older mechanic remove the CD changer and hook up a J&M Bluetooth unit installed in the trunk. Well, that didn't solve the rattle...but after a search I found that several have put foam weather stripping under and between the trunk hinges. No more rattle!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow, zero preload...
Maybe the previous owner needed the heavy spring rating.
I have heard of trunk rattle problems on this forum. Have you done a search for a solution? There is a source for rubber bumpers somewhere on here.
I have purchased helmets and things from Niehaus before. Nice place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts