GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Traxxion Tie Bar and the pin to make the slop measurement arrived today. I should have just ordered the pin... I put it in the holes and there is no slop in the stock tie-rod whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@michaelnel What kind of mileage is on your Wing? Were you having any issues that prompted the purchase? Inquiring minds wanna know....

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the same order that is scheduled to arrive today. I am going to change mine out anyway as that is one less item I need to worry about that needs to be checked every few thousand miles. While some stock rods may last longer than others, that plastic piece inside the part will wear eventually and like I said in an earlier post, I would rather change it on my time in my own garage than on a trip someplace.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just a question, but if you're going to order the Traxxion replacement tie rod, do you really even need the pin? The Traxxion rod shouldn't wear out and I doubt it would ever develop any slop...

·
Registered
506 Posts
No, you don't need the pin but I ordered one in case I ever need to lock the wheel in place for anything else.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
I thought one would need two of the pins to check properly. No?

prs

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just received my order about 30 minutes ago. I checked mine and it is at 2mm and the bike has just over 3k on it.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
My bikes tie rod play was .25" at around 4300 miles or so.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
No. There is just one set of holes to use it in, so you only need one pin.
Well, shut my mouth wide open! Max shows use of two pins in two alignment holes. Says he "may" discount the set.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhfixkfbkU

Now, all that said; I "think" the intent of having the pins is to align the front wheel with the upper tree and not so much to check free board of the tie rods. One could simply force the front wheel to one of the steering limit stops and then check for that amount of play. But, use of the pin is convenient.

prs

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would have been nice if they had updated their web store to talk about the use of two pins. I am not gonna pay another 10 bucks for another 2 dollar pin and have to pay shipping on it too.

·
Love The DCT
12,017 Posts
Well, shut my mouth wide open! Max shows use of two pins in two alignment holes. Says he "may" discount the set.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhfixkfbkU

Now, all that said; I "think" the intent of having the pins is to align the front wheel with the upper tree and not so much to check free board of the tie rods. One could simply force the front wheel to one of the steering limit stops and then check for that amount of play. But, use of the pin is convenient.

prs

The upper pin is called the Steering Bridge Lock Pin. It is used when you install new tie rods. The lock pin is removed after the tie rods are installed. See page 17-38 in the service manual.

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Would have been nice if they had updated their web store to talk about the use of two pins. I am not gonna pay another 10 bucks for another 2 dollar pin and have to pay shipping on it too.
Maybe you can get it done well with one pin. In the lower to check end play and at the top to verify alignment of handle bars to center of bridge. It seems to have been a learn as you go thing for Max as well.

prs

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe so. I have already checked end play (none detectable) on the stock rod and when I install the Traxxion one it won't have any, so maybe one pin in the upper area is all I need to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
I installed my Traxxion tie-rod tonight. You really don't need to pin it (although I pinned the top just for S&G) to swap it out. My theory is that the reason you pin the stock rod is that it is basically a 3 piece rod that you adjust on both ends to come to the spec length of the rod. While this style is cheaper to manufacture, the pins ensure that you keep the alignment within a reasonable spec in order to adjust the ends of the OEM rod. The Traxxion rod is one solid piece that is already the spec length so no matter how you put it on, the rod can only move within the acceptable range. My OEM came off and the new one went right into place without moving a thing. Granted, that little wrench they include in the kit is not the greatest tool and using it on the front bolt can be a PITA.

One thing of note, I did remove the rubber boot off of each end of the OEM rod and put it over each end of the Traxxion rod. While it is not banded into place like the OEM, it should provide adequate protection for the ball joint and I also used the grease from the OEM part to give it a little lube in there.

Reactions: ldrider
1 - 20 of 25 Posts