GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get too excited.... yet.

Since we are a racing company by nature, all of my dang racing vultures here were ready to strip the new Wing down to the frame and put number plates on it, and I had to beat them back with a stick.

But that did give me an idea...

If we built a GL1800 track bike (stripped down and safety prepped) would anyone be interested to rent it to use at a track day? I think it would be a hoot to take a Wing to a track and lay a beatin on some Gixxers and CBRs.

I think there's a lot of guys who would like to, but can't risk piling their wing while zipping around the track. This one would be stripped of unnecessary bags, fairing, and electronics.

It would give you a chance to drive a wing at its limits in a controlled environment.

Does that interest anyone?
:twisted:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Max, I bet you Yellow Wolf would jump at that chance. Rick, what do you say!

Shadow1
Hal

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Like Nike says: JUST DO IT !!!!!! :twisted: 8) :yes:

I like the way you think. cool

·
Registered
359 Posts
Race wing

Max,

Sign me and George up!!!!!. All these Traxxion installs should get us first dibs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Max, I think this is a great idea, however, maybe not highest and best use for your brand new Wing. As others have mentioned there are lots of Wings that are totaled primarily for tupperware. Why not get your vultures up in some tall trees looking for some mechanically sound road kill? I am sure you guys could rig up some Wings with frame sliders, plus if you could pick up two or three road kills you could rig a couple up like Keith Code did to practice slides and front wheel lock ups.

While there are a few who would love to embarass a few Gixxers, I think there are far more old bones who while they might like to try it, also remember that it hurts more and longer when you have a few years. However, in the interest of safety I would love to be able to intentionally skid the front wheel and slide the rear using the safety of the Code type outriggers.

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/lean-bike.php

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/slide-bike.php

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/braking-bike.php

And what better way to demonstrate good suspension? I think you are onto something here, but hands off the new bike. :lol:[/url]

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gpick said:
Max, I think this is a great idea, however, maybe not highest and best use for your brand new Wing. As others have mentioned there are lots of Wings that are totaled primarily for tupperware. Why not get your vultures up in some tall trees looking for some mechanically sound road kill? I am sure you guys could rig up some Wings with frame sliders, plus if you could pick up two or three road kills you could rig a couple up like Keith Code did to practice slides and front wheel lock ups.

While there are a few who would love to embarass a few Gixxers, I think there are far more old bones who while they might like to try it, also remember that it hurts more and longer when you have a few years. However, in the interest of safety I would love to be able to intentionally skid the front wheel and slide the rear using the safety of the Code type outriggers.

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/lean-bike.php

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/slide-bike.php

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/braking-bike.php

And what better way to demonstrate good suspension? I think you are onto something here, but hands off the new bike. :lol:[/url]
HOLD ON THERE KILLER!!!!

I wasn't going to let them rape the brand new bike... for sure I would go to an auction and find one with the trunk and the fairing messed up from a low side. We would scrap that stuff, or if it was good, sell it to offset the cost of the bike a little bit.

We would take it to a track day where they had a "Beginner" or "Street rider" class, so that you weren't getting blasted by racers.

Note that the idea ISN'T for a guy to actually be RACING the Goldwing, but rather, take a bike that you can't really hurt too much and ride it way faster than you NORMALLY would, so that when you return to your normal environment, you have more confidence in cornering, and braking, and steering.

If you happen to get in over your head and fall down, the bike won't cost too much to fix, and there's grass to run off into, and a bambo-lance nearby. :wink:

Since the Goldwing is 1800cc, you would have to enter in the Formula One class in WERA which is unlimited 1000cc Superbikes!!!! OUCH!!!! No chance there!!!

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gpick said:
I am sure you guys could rig up some Wings with frame sliders, plus if you could pick up two or three road kills you could rig a couple up like Keith Code did to practice slides and front wheel lock ups.

in the interest of safety I would love to be able to intentionally skid the front wheel and slide the rear using the safety of the Code type outriggers.
Well now.... sliding the rear on an Wing.... :wink:

But being able to practice panic skidding the front would be cool.

I don't know if Code would be mad if I made a Wing with some of his outriggers on it. :?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Put me on the list..

In lieu of cash, how about a barter. I ride your track bike, I detail the black demo bike? :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yes, I would be very interested. Maybe I could do that when I come again to the southeast to test the "demo bike". I got to your area about a week late in October to test the other bike. But the liability issue you would be facing to do something like this must be frightening.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Long ago, I had a 1976 wing with all the Vetter stuff on it. During some maintenance, I had the fairing and bags off. Removal of all that drag made a huge improvment in top end speed and acceleration above 100 mph. It was great! I can only imagine.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That sounds like a blast and a great learning tool. I'd be in for a couple of laps. Heck I'd go just to watch Paul hanging off the side of that sucker!! 8)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Max McAllister said:
If we built a GL1800 track bike (stripped down and safety prepped) would anyone be interested to rent it to use at a track day? :twisted:
Forget renting it, what would you charge to build a street legal GL1800 track style bike?

Pete

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
slimer said:
Max McAllister said:
If we built a GL1800 track bike (stripped down and safety prepped) would anyone be interested to rent it to use at a track day? :twisted:
Forget renting it, what would you charge to build a street legal GL1800 track style bike?

Pete
I actually had an idea for a reality show where we would film us building "Theme Wings", and show the whole Goldwing lifestyle.

I have had the following ideas:

TrackWing. Call me, Pete and let's discuss building one for you....

Nice inverted forks...radial brakes...Penske Triple adjustable shock...billet triple clamps (offset adjustable of course), Ti exhaust, fiberglass tail section... ooooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!

Wing-O-Sine.... 7 seat stretched GL18trike for high profile cruising in the cities.

"THE SHAG-WING".... Austin Power's themed.... painted like giant British flag, and have automated machine guns and rocket launchers in the saddle bags, and of course, in the trunk would be a champagne chiller and glasses for when you get to hook up with the hot chick after you kill the bad guys....

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
American Chopper!

American Hot Rod!

American Wing?

Could be interesting!! Harley owners would go NUTS!!! :D

Maybe you should contact Craig Piligian at Pilgrim Films. He's the executive producer for AC and AHR.

Bartman

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the liability of the track bike would be covered by whoever is running the track day. Traxxion wouldn't be putting organizing the track rental and all of that.

We would probably sign up like four guys, and meet them at a track day at Talladega GP, or Jennings GP or Barber, and they could each have a couple of hours on it during the course of a day.

I really wouldn't expect anyone to ever crash it. It's more about riding at your personal limits, which for most wingers, is still well within the limits of the bike.

We wouldn't change the seating, peg, or handlebar positions, so that it would still be like sitting on a Wing.

We could build one with rearsets and clip ons!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts