GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Traxx-Rite setup comes with All-Balls bearings installed on the stem. I already have All-Balls installed. I know on something like a wheel bearing you always replace the race with the bearing because they wear together. Given the small amount of movement with a front end, do I have the same concerns or can I use the new bearing with the race that's already installed?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I would jack up the front end and check the current bearings and races. Maybe even nip them up a bit and check for any signs of notching. If none present you could just fit the new part.

But! seeing as you have stripped it down that far why not fit the new races and gaurantee they are correct for peace of mind.

Trev.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No, no........No.......always use the new race with new bearings. You want a matched set, not one from this and one from that.

It will come back to haunt you if you do not put the proper race with the proper bearing.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
No, no........No.......always use the new race with new bearings. You want a matched set, not one from this and one from that.
It will come back to haunt you if you do not put the proper race with the proper bearing.
You might get away with it, but I agree; "No,no......NO." If its worth doing, do it right! No biggie tapping out a couple of races and drifting the new ones in.

prs

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Traxx-Rite setup comes with All-Balls bearings installed on the stem. I already have All-Balls installed. I know on something like a wheel bearing you always replace the race with the bearing because they wear together. Given the small amount of movement with a front end, do I have the same concerns or can I use the new bearing with the race that's already installed?

the short, safe answer....NO

:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Here's the tap points for the lower race as you look down the hole from the top. Simply tap it out. The lower one on the tree should already be press fit when you get the system. Upper, easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts