GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago I had the minimum Traxxion suspension work done. Springs, steering bearings, fork brace, disable antidive. I am now scheduled for the Full Monty, the guy that I talked with didn't think that the triple clamp was necessary. The more I read the more I think that if i'm going this far that I should get the triple clamp and have it the best that it can get. Any pros and cons on the clamp itself? The install is scheduled and I am getting the work done, I am only interested in whether the clamp should or shouldn't be done. Any advice? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
A couple years ago I had the minimum Traxxion suspension work done. Springs, steering bearings, fork brace, disable antidive. I am now scheduled for the Full Monty, the guy that I talked with didn't think that the triple clamp was necessary. The more I read the more I think that if i'm going this far that I should get the triple clamp and have it the best that it can get. Any pros and cons on the clamp itself? The install is scheduled and I am getting the work done, I am only interested in whether the clamp should or shouldn't be done. Any advice? :shrug:
The triple clamp will make the biggest difference of any of the Traxxion mods. When I left JBJ after doing the old full monty (pre-triple clamp), yes the bike handled a little differently, rode a little smother, but all in all the ride home on the slab was pretty under whelming. It wasn't until the following weekend when I had a chance to run US 191 to Alpine that the value of the full monty was apparent. I took about 10 minutes off my best time and I wasn't even trying and for the first time riding US 191 I didn't drag a peg, not once. I knew then I had done the right thing and it was worth every penny.

A little over a year later Traxxion came out with the upper and lower triple tree clamp, I figured what the hell, might as well go whole hog and booked an install with JBJ as soon as both clamps became available.

This time I knew I had a new and very different bike before I had riden out of JBJ's parking lot. At first I didn't know if it was good or not, my stable old Wing was now very quick, the slightest pressure sent the bike off in a new direction. I-5 was chock-a-block with traffic, the bike was different, I was over controlling....it wasn't a fun ride. A couple of times I thought about turning around and having the old triple tree installed but I pressed on and just north of San Diego the road opened up and I started to enjoy the new responsiveness of the Wing. By the time I hit Yuma you couldn't wipe the grin off my face, at last the Wing was the bike I wanted it to be.

Long way around to: do the triple tree, of all the mods it is the most bang for the buck.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Traxxion billet triple clamps. They made a world of difference on my bike, and I already had the full Traxxion front and rear on it for a couple years before I installed it. My only regret was not getting it sooner. It greatly improves steering response, tracking, and improves the overall feel of the front end. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The triple clamp will make the biggest difference of any of the Traxxion mods. When I left JBJ after doing the old full monty (pre-triple clamp), yes the bike handled a little differently, rode a little smother, but all in all the ride home on the slab was pretty under whelming. It wasn't until the following weekend when I had a chance to run US 191 to Alpine that the value of the full monty was apparent. I took about 10 minutes off my best time and I wasn't even trying and for the first time riding US 191 I didn't drag a peg, not once. I knew then I had done the right thing and it was worth every penny.

A little over a year later Traxxion came out with the upper and lower triple tree clamp, I figured what the hell, might as well go whole hog and booked an install with JBJ as soon as both clamps became available.

This time I knew I had a new and very different bike before I had riden out of JBJ's parking lot. At first I didn't know if it was good or not, my stable old Wing was now very quick, the slightest pressure sent the bike off in a new direction. I-5 was chock-a-block with traffic, the bike was different, I was over controlling....it wasn't a fun ride. A couple of times I thought about turning around and having the old triple tree installed but I pressed on and just north of San Diego the road opened up and I started to enjoy the new responsiveness of the Wing. By the time I hit Yuma you couldn't wipe the grin off my face, at last the Wing was the bike I wanted it to be.

Long way around to: do the triple tree, of all the mods it is the most bang for the buck.
Bubba,
since I've posted this I searched and found some of the posts about this yours included. I have decided to go for it! But I have to wonder why the guy at motivational motorsports said it wasn't necessary? Has anyone had work done there? they are the closest Traxxion installer to me.
Motovation Cycles & Accessories (3)
Dan Kenney
30440 Potomac Way
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Obviously you are wanting more from your suspension/handling if you are upgrading an existing upgrade. The cartridges take care of the up and down but the triple trees further reduce the flex in the front end. They make the steering inputs more precise. The front end is more responsive at speed.

If its up for grabs, I'd say go for it. I suspect you'll wish you had later if you don't. I have 3 Wings and all have Traxx trees, however, I haven't install the Traxxion stuff on the 3rd bike yet (so its easy for me to compare). I just figure the upgrade in with the price of the bike to get it up to a standard to what I consider Honda should have provided off the showroom floor. If Honda offered a HondaLine suspension upgrade, I strongly suspect it would cost more than a Full Monty.

I'm not going to say that the trees will blow you away but if you prefer a more responsive bike, it is part of the incremental improvements to getting it there (along with your fork brace, bushings and guides).

The only negative, if you perceive it that way, is the price as it is an expensive assembly to build and therefore, the price reflects it. I'm in the machining business and I think the product is reasonably priced for what it requires to produce it. As far as the performance of the product, the value is determined by the end user. Of less value to those that seldom stress anything on the bike, more valueable to those that push them harder. Valueable to all during evasive maneuvers.

For a before and after, with the OEM trees, get out on the road and set the cruise around 70 mph, put the palms of your hands on the bar-end weights and wiggle the bars. Amazing how much deflection you can get out of the bars/fork tubes without changing the course of the bike. Then, try it with the new trees. That alone is worth the price to me. There are benefits to, both, the trees and the fork brace at parking lot speeds but, for me, they really shine at anything above 45 mph.

No second guessing, you will have the best you can get if the trees are included.

Eye candy...

Z

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Bubba,
since I've posted this I searched and found some of the posts about this yours included. I have decided to go for it! But I have to wonder why the guy at motivational motorsports said it wasn't necessary? Has anyone had work done there? they are the closest Traxxion installer to me.
Motovation Cycles & Accessories (3)
Dan Kenney
30440 Potomac Way
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622
I had the Full Monty done there this past May,I don't know why Dan would say that if you did talk to him.Did he ask what type of riding you do,maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Traxxion billet triple clamps. They made a world of difference on my bike, and I already had the full Traxxion front and rear on it for a couple years before I installed it. My only regret was not getting it sooner. It greatly improves steering response, tracking, and improves the overall feel of the front end. I would hesitate to do it.
Really-Ya might want to edit that Fred:joke:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the Full Monty done there this past May,I don't know why Dan would say that if you did talk to him.Did he ask what type of riding you do,maybe that has something to do with it.
I'm not sure who I talked with. but he asked me if I was an aggressive rider and I responded that I was really trying not to be, he asked if I drug pegs, I said that you can shave with the tips of mine, he said that I was aggressive, I then told him that I have scrapes on the underside of my bike and he said then I was real aggressive rider. But whoever I talked with there said the the clamps wouldn't make much difference? I am calling them today to make sure that I understand what he said, I may have misunderstood him in our converstation. Regardless I am going to make sure that I get all I can get.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
CAC, That's an old address for Motovation Cycle. Current address:

28953 Three Notch Rd (Rt 5)
Mechanicsville, MD 20659

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I can not speak from first hand knowledge here, but I recall Max having explained that the vast majority of the advantage gained with the Traxxion triple tree was with just one section of it and that they are sold sperately. If that is still the official mantra, why not just get the effective part?

prs

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I can not speak from first hand knowledge here, but I recall Max having explained that the vast majority of the advantage gained with the Traxxion triple tree was with just one section of it and that they are sold sperately. If that is still the official mantra, why not just get the effective part?

prs
It is the lower triple tree that does most of the flexing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why did you guys do this to me

I have Traxxion almost full monte (no adjustible caps) Iam going to do a forkoil change bushings and seals. Now I might have to spend big money for clamps. I just got Freds video on Traxxion fork dissassembly These videos of his are a great help.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I have Traxxion almost full monte (no adjustible caps) Iam going to do a forkoil change bushings and seals. Now I might have to spend big money for clamps. I just got Freds video on Traxxion fork dissassembly These videos of his are a great help.
You don't have to buy them....but you won't be sorry if you do!!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked with George this morning and I have the full full Monty scheduled for the 8th of Oct. I asked why he didn't think it was necessary and he said that they have done hundreds of Traxxion installs but only about 10 with the triple clamps to which he had no feed back. I am getting them, I guess because money means nothing to a man of my Caliber! :shrug: :joke:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I talked with George this morning and I have the full full Monty scheduled for the 8th of Oct. I asked why he didn't think it was necessary and he said that they have done hundreds of Traxxion installs but only about 10 with the triple clamps to which he had no feed back. I am getting them, I guess because money means nothing to a man of my Caliber! :shrug: :joke:
What would a Squid know that rides a Harley:joke:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Question for Fred H

Iam getting ready to change fork oil like I mentioned above. I bought oem steering bearings because I remember a post of yours or maybe in your videos that you thought the tapered bearings changed the handleing. I have read other things about this. I had tapered bearings on my Yamaha XS 1100 and they needed replacement at 75000 miles. I have 72000 on my 1800 and it is handleing poorly (due to worn tires) when the tires were new it handled very well. Tapered bearings are of course more susceptible to torque settings changeing the way the bike handles. I believe most crotch rockets have ball bearings to avoid the problem. Iam thinking of getting the Traxxion triple clamps and might try and get them without the Allballs tapered do you remember your post on this?

·
Registered
207 Posts

prs
I just talked with Traxxion and they only sell the top and botton as a pair.

So I guess I will let my OEM trees flex.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I just talked with Traxxion and they only sell the top and botton as a pair.

So I guess I will let my OEM trees flex.
Let's see if I understand your post.....If I remember from my install, just one was about $700 USD and both around $1000 USD, so for a few dollars less you would fix the handling of your bike but damn that extra $300 USD is too much.

Did I read it correctly?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts