GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on all the good things said about the Traxxion upgrade, I'm sold. :D

However, there are a couple aspects to the upgrade that I haven't heard answers to:

What is the warranty on the front and rear upgrades?

Seeing as how Honda doesn't have any recommendations for fork or shock maintenance, what does Traxxion recommend for maintenance for the rear shock and the front forks, and can the maintenance be done by the average DIY'er (ie, someone that's comfortable doing the maintenance that Fred H. shows in his videos)? Or, do the components have to be removed and sent back to Traxxion for maintenance?

After viewing Fred's videos, it appears that normal fork maintenance (ie, change oil, bushings and seals) is fairly easy, but I have no idea how to recharge the rear shock should it become necessary. And, are there seals or bushings that periodically need to be replaced on the rear shock?

Thanks,
Arthur

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
You can't service a rear shock yourself. It requires special tools and high pressure nitrogen.

My guess is that the rear shock will last about 30K - 40K miles before needing to have the oil changed and valves replaced and recharged with nitrogen, but Max could probably give you a better answer.

I do know that Traxxion likes you to have the fork oil changed about every 20K miles on their fork upgrade option. I suspect that this is something you could learn to do yourself, though you would need to check with Max to find out what viscosity and brand fork oil he recommends and what level to set the fork oil to.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Traxxion uses and recommends the MAXIMA 7weight fork oil.
They include a bottle in their kits when they send out a kit to a dealer just so there won't be any confusion.

If you go to www.traxxion.com and click on the 'sport bike' link they have a copy of their warranty there you can read.

Here's a link.... http://www.traxxion.com/technical.limitedwarranty.shtml

I flew down to Traxxion last month, completed their factory training and am now an authorized installation dealer. See our website...
www.wingworx.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi George..

I remember... very nice bike! Now that you've got a few miles with the Max-imum<G> setup what are your impressions.

Honestly... does it live up to your expectations and was it worth the $$ spent?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The Traxxion Fork Checklist shipped with my fork conversion indicates Maxima 7 wt. oil set at 120mm (4.7in.)

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Hi!

Ray did post the link to our warranty, thanks for that.

The shock should be good to go 40,000 miles, it is in a sealed environment, and lasts quite a bit longer than the forks do.

Regardless of what Honda says, or in this case, doesn't say---the forks need to be serviced at 20,000 miles. The oil will be quite ready for replacement at that point. But the reason you need to take them completely apart and clean everything is because the lower bushings are typically worn out every 20,000 miles. This on 9 out of 10 Wings. We have seen some that inexplicably go twice that distance and still be in good shape. But they appear to be anomolies.

The forks can be serviced by a competent mechanic, but it requires a fork spring compressor kit (it's different than stock). All of the parts to service the forks are OEM Honda.

We recommend at 40,000 miles to send the forks with your shock to us so we can service the cartridges inside the forks at the same time we service your shock.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Max,
Since you are recommending service at 40,000 miles for the up graded rear shock and front forks, could you give us a ball park figure on the service cost.

Dennis

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
wingit84 said:
Max,
Since you are recommending service at 40,000 miles for the up graded rear shock and front forks, could you give us a ball park figure on the service cost.

Dennis
Sure.

Labor is the same on and off ($100 front and $250 rear).
Shock service is $150

Fork service is $200 plus parts (typically seals and all bushings).

The 20,000 mile fork service is $150 plus parts. (typically seals and lower bushings)

The difference is that at 40,000 we go into the cartridges and make sure they are working perfect.

Realistically, I know that people buy a wing and drive it over 100,000 miles and never service the shock ever. Especially since it is non-rebuildable! But I don't think anyone could rationally argue that that makes any sense.

These suggestions are realistic, and based on real facts of what we find through seeing the parts after wingers have put them through their paces. These are not "conservative" guidelines. They are honest in other words. If you want your suspension to work right, then this is just the deal.

I would say a good plan, would be if you were getting 18,000 miles or more out of a set of tires, have the forks serviced while you are changing tires. Any reputable shop would give you a discount on the labor since you already have the wheel laying on the ground to take the forks off.

If anyone takes their Traxxion forks to a local dealer for service you need to have them call us for some instruction on the reassembly that won't be obvious to them, but doesn't require anything special that a good shop shouldn't already have.

...and again, the service uses all OEM Honda parts.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Max,

Lots of folks cryin for you to come up to Cats-Cade. hell Toyo will carry your tools for ya...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Here's a silly question........and don't forget I'm a motorcyle expert :shock: ......on the Maxima site I see shock fluid, and fork fluid.
shock fluid (oil) shows a 7 wt, but not in the fork oil sections......it's 5,10,15,20. Which one the be one for the wing forks? I'm guessing the "fork oil" being the motorcycle expert I am......but I see the 7 wt. in the "shock oil" and am not sure!! Could it be that they are so similar the all we are concerned with is the proper wt. in this case?

I may want to bust in those forks one day?? 8)

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
steve s said:
Here's a silly question........and don't forget I'm a motorcyle expert :shock: ......on the Maxima site I see shock fluid, and fork fluid.
shock fluid (oil) shows a 7 wt, but not in the fork oil sections......it's 5,10,15,20. Which one the be one for the wing forks? I'm guessing the "fork oil" being the motorcycle expert I am......but I see the 7 wt. in the "shock oil" and am not sure!! Could it be that they are so similar the all we are concerned with is the proper wt. in this case?

I may want to bust in those forks one day?? 8)
This actually is a good question. :)

You want fork FLUID, not fork OIL.

What's the difference?

Fork oil is simple hydralic oil. This is typically used in older style damper rod forks. There is no standardized system applied to naming the viscosity. So if you buy 10wt fork oil from 5 brands, you will have 5 different viscosity fluids guaranteed. This isn't to say that any brand is better than another, it's just that each will act differently in your forks.

Fork Fluid, or also sometimes labelled Suspension Fluid is designed for modern cartridge forks. It is specifically tested and labelled. The fluid we use is "125/150". It is sub-named 7wt, which people seem to grasp more readily.

The first number indicates the viscosity, by using a system called Saybolt Seconds Universal (SSU Number) after the guy who invented the system. They take an exact amount of oil, set the oil to an exact temperature and then open a precise orifice and measure how long it takes the container to drain. So this is oil is 125 "seconds". A thinner oil would drain faster, like 85 seconds.

The second number is Viscosity Index, or VI Number. This is an indicator of the oil's fade resistance. It tells you about the additive package in the oil. Forks don't need oil with a high fade resistance, because they don't get hot. A VI of 150 for forks is excellent.

Shock oil is again different. It will have a very high VI Number. Shocks need a minimum VI of 200. The Maxima shock oil we use here is 75-390. It is sub-labelled "3 wt". Shocks get very hot while in use, sometimes too hot to touch. So the oil needs additives to keep it from fading and impairing the performance of the shock not only while in use, but over time.

Shock oil is the absolute most neglected thing on any motorcycle, and it takes the worst beating of any fluid on the motorcycle. Most people don't even know you should change it.

Heck, Honda doesn't even make the shock on the GL rebuildable so you could change it!!! :shock: :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts