GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the Traxxion.com GL 1800/1500 suspension explanation in "quotes", to save you the time to read it on their website. No replies to this post should be neccessary. It's succinctly informative. I rely upon others who I expect are knowledgeable, in their field of expertise, to convey accurate information. Obviously, they want to sell their suspension.

If this Traxxion assertion IS true, then, other than insuring that the steering head bearing is not damaged and carefully torqued to the correct value (thanks, to Stu Oltman), replacement 'non-OEM' front suspension parts of your choice and a new tire should reduce/eliminate the 'wobble'/premature tire wear conditions?

Excerpts, from the Traxxion website (Gold Wings):

"Gold Wings wobble because of bad front suspension... Your stock Showa forks have a 'damper rod' in one side and an extremely low quality cartridge in the other side... The damper rod side is basically useless... and used for cheap production parts......The stock fork springs are...weak...just pick your bike up off the side stand...and watch it collapse...The result is a fork that...cups and tears up your tires."

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
H-man said:
If this Traxxion assertion IS true, then, other than insuring that the steering head bearing is not damaged and carefully torqued to the correct value (thanks, to Stu Oltman), replacement 'non-OEM' front suspension parts of your choice and a new tire should reduce/eliminate the 'wobble'/premature tire wear conditions?"
I have the Traxxion upgrades and I have found that everything Max has said about the GL1800 suspension and the results you can expect from the upgrades to be true, including better tire wear. The fact that my bike no longer has the decel wobble is just icing on the cake.

Here is a picture of my front tire with 18000 miles

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
While no response is necessary, I feel compelled.

I had a decel wobble thru 2 sets of E-3s. I purchased the complete Traxxion package including the All Balls bearings. Now, no wobble.

The elimination of the wobble though was the least of the benefits from the upgrade. When put into a corner, the bike feels 300 lbs lighter and tracks right where you put it, regardless of bumps and dips.

If there is a downside, it's probably the increased confidence you will feel and the restraint you will now need to use to keep from overriding your ability.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If their upgrade is so Great, why is it that they use all balls bearings, and a fork brace on the complete front end job?

The only time I had a wobble was with a rear Metzeler. Hands on or off the bars, the wobble was there. My cure, a new set of Stones. 5 sets later, still No wobble.

Just refilling the rear shock as per Fred H's video, improved my bikes handling immensely. :wink:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
mr.b said:
If their upgrade is so Great, why is it that they use all balls bearings, and a fork brace on the complete front end job?

The only time I had a wobble was with a rear Metzeler. Hands on or off the bars, the wobble was there. My cure, a new set of Stones. 5 sets later, still No wobble.

Just refilling the rear shock as per Fred H's video, improved my bikes handling immensely. :wink:
They most likely recommend going with the All Balls while the bike is already tore apart and it makes sense to upgrade the bearing while you are there, it's only 38 more dollars for the parts.

I also run the Bridgestones, great tires. My bike would wobble on decel. With a new Bridgestone it wouldn't wobble until the new Bridgestone had around 5000 miles on it and then it would start to wobble again on decel.

Traxxion fixed that and now my bike is stable at any speed with or without my hands on the handlebars. I didn't upgrade the suspension because of the decel wobble. I upgraded the suspension, because I wanted more performance out of the suspension. Traxxion delivers that and the fact that my bike doesn't wobble anymore is just a plus for me...although I really did hate the decel wobble :lol:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please, correct me, if, I am wrong. Aren't the "All Balls" brand, 'roller' type bearings; and the OEM, 'ball' bearings? If that's correct, the 'roller' type should provide an improvement of a more stable, larger, bearing surface area?? Both types are "tapered" type bearings assemblies?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The 1800 comes with the round steering bearings. Just replacing them with the tapered bearings produces an immediate result - no more wobble.

The next bang for your buck is the front fork brace.

However, while at Wingstock, seeing was believing, so I continued with the whole nine yards. One word to describe the handling: Crisp.

There is also more room for lean in the turns, and the front end does not dive as much on hard braking.

OK, I'm retired, finally bought the 2006 Wing that I wanted and have added the items to make it the best for me. So, I'll save you some money on the seat: Gel pad with hemisphere bead like surface from Foot Smart for about $45. Now, take the money you just saved & put it in the suspension!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
mr.b said:

no bearings or fork brase here and i got no wobble and way better handling with the traxxion and i ride it kinda hard????

·
Registered
847 Posts
[quote="yellow wolf
no bearings or fork brase here and i got no wobble and way better handling with the traxxion and i ride it kinda hard????[/quote]

And all this time I thought you only drove the bike to church on sundays, and never went above 20 mph.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now, Yellow Wolf is really an unfair example. His tire tread sides wear down, as fast as the 'wobble' cupping begins to appear!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
was running mobile one but 24 a gal,now running shell rotella full synt. 12 bucks a gal!!!!!!

you spend over 4$$$ a qt for oil you got to much and need to sentd that extra my way!!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
reg oil i was going 3,000 the only reason i went to full synt. was to go 5,000,so the answer is 5,000 miles

78,000 and not one problem!!

·
Banned
96 Posts
im running gn4, im the guy on the illus. red, i talked to you friday at the gap store. from pensacola, run my bike pretty hard wondering if i should switch oil?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Getting back to the topic....sorta....the bearing change is only personal choice. If you want it they'll put it in while it's apart. For the money it's a no brainer. The tapered bearings is a more stable design IMO. Sme about the fork brace. The way I understand it (and I have one now installed with the Traxxion front suspension upgrade) it helps mostly with very slow turning stuff, like just pulling out and turning and putt-ing around in the parking lot and stuff like that. It may make a tad of difference at speed, but not noticable to me. It is quite noticable in the parking lot though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts