Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my own rule, long messages are not to my liking. Here are the facts:
1. Handles much better
2. Rides much better
3. No Wobble
4. Is it worth it? Only if you enjoy riding
5. RocketMoto installer Hollis NH gets a 10 - had to add this, had a question about preload. It's Sunday at 4:30 and Adam just called to explain preload to me. What shop owner do you know that would do that?

Quick update after 1,500 miles. It's hard to quantify because remembering how in adequate the ride was with the old suspension is hard to remember. But riding with the Full Monty is very enjoyable. My SO actually said after getting home on a short 170 mile ride today, "Remember the bone jarring bump on route 115?" I said no. She said it hurt her neck everytime on that road. I said "Probably missed it" she said "oh no, you hit it head on and no pain". Makes me feel better about spending the $$$$.

I had RocketMoto in Hollis NH do the FULL MONTY yesterday. First thing is, Jeannette, ADAM and DAVE are #1 in my book. Tihey could not be more customer oriented. Now on to my first impressions. I had about 125 mile ride home mostly slab riding at 80-90mph. I don't know how to explain it, but the suspension just instilled confidence in every move I made. Passing, going over ridges between lanes not a hint from the suspension. Usually when taking an off ramp I would see the yellow curve signs and slow down, not with this suspension. Mind you, not taking the off ramps at 80-90 but faster then I usually do with no hesitation. Prior to this the front end just seemed loose. I think I just got used to it and did not realize how the ride could be improved. Ok, now to the hard part. My SO is very skeptical especially when it comes to spending $$. Took her out last night and had the suspension on 0. She was not impressed. Said to take it to 3, still not impressed. I said ok you can play with the numbers forever. I took it to max 25 and she liked it. O'boy I thought, 25 that is at max what if she wants 30. Took her for a 100 mile ride this morning and long story short, she loves 10. Asked if we should try 5 and she said NO 10 is great. Did 10 over smooth, bumpy and very bumpy roads and she was happy. Maybe I will get her to try 5 but as long as she is happy I guess I should leave well enough alone. Now more for us guys. Bike seems to handle allot better. When making very tight U turns it just instills confidence. Prior to the upgrade when doing U turns I would be moving the handle bars left to right to help me keep my balance. I do not have to do this anymore. Now what you all have been waiting for, prior to the upgrade the WOBBLE between 35 and 45 was uncontrollable. Now the WOBBLE is entirely gone. I am a happy camper. Unfortunately, I am out of town all of next week so will not be able to ride. So far so good. And one last koodos to ROCKETMOTO.:thumbup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whew!!! The wife and I have been biting our nails, since we've last spoke about the suspension. Now I can let her know all is ok glad you guys like it. :excited:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm not knocking Traxxion here because I've never owned or ridden a bike that has it but the OP's reaction to being "Traxxionized" is almost identical to mine after I first rode my 2012 GL1800.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm not knocking Traxxion here because I've never owned or ridden a bike that has it but the OP's reaction to being "Traxxionized" is almost identical to mine after I first rode my 2012 GL1800.

I have to agree. The '12 feels like my '04 after I replaced the fork stem bearings and front wheel bearings with All Balls, upgraded to Progressive Fork Springs, and installed Avon's with DynaBeads.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If I may ask, how much was the full monty, all-in?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Kinda depends....Minny-Full Monty a little over $2000USD, Maxi-Full Monty a little under $5000USD.

Congrats to the OP for his "new" bike, I have over 40,000 miles on mine and the wobble has never returned.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The cost of the traxxion system will depend on who you have do it. You can do it yourself for less than $2000.00 or should expect to pay upwards of $3500. For a dealer to do it and that will include the triple tree. I had Traxxion themselves do it for less than $3000. Out the door. So shop around I rode my bike up to Goergia from Florida to have them do it. And I saved money.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Broke my own rule, long messages are not to my liking. Here are the facts:
1. Handles much better
2. Rides much better
3. No Wobble
4. Is it worth it? Only if you enjoy riding
5. RocketMoto installer Hollis NH gets a 10 - had to add this, had a question about preload. It's Sunday at 4:30 and Adam just called to explain preload to me. What shop owner do you know that would do that?

I had RocketMoto in Hollis NH do the FULL MONTY yesterday. First thing is, Jeannette, ADAM and DAVE are #1 in my book. They could not be more customer oriented. Now on to my first impressions. I had about 125 mile ride home mostly slab riding at 80-90mph. I don't know how to explain it, but the suspension just instilled confidence in every move I made. Passing, going over ridges between lanes not a hint from the suspension. Usually when taking an off ramp I would see the yellow curve signs and slow down, not with this suspension. Mind you, not taking the off ramps at 80-90 but faster then I usually do with no hesitation. Prior to this the front end just seemed loose. I think I just got used to it and did not realize how the ride could be improved. Ok, now to the hard part. My SO is very skeptical especially when it comes to spending $$. Took her out last night and had the suspension on 0. She was not impressed. Said to take it to 3, still not impressed. I said ok you can play with the numbers forever. I took it to max 25 and she liked it. O'boy I thought, 25 that is at max what if she wants 30. Took her for a 100 mile ride this morning and long story short, she loves 10. Asked if we should try 5 and she said NO 10 is great. Did 10 over smooth, bumpy and very bumpy roads and she was happy. Maybe I will get her to try 5 but as long as she is happy I guess I should leave well enough alone. Now more for us guys. Bike seems to handle allot better. When making very tight U turns it just instills confidence. Prior to the upgrade when doing U turns I would be moving the handle bars left to right to help me keep my balance. I do not have to do this anymore. Now what you all have been waiting for, prior to the upgrade the WOBBLE between 35 and 45 was uncontrollable. Now the WOBBLE is entirely gone. I am a happy camper. Unfortunately, I am out of town all of next week so will not be able to ride. So far so good. And one last koodos to ROCKETMOTO.:thumbup:
Hi Eric:

THANKS for the great write-up, and nice comments! :thumbup: It was great to work with you, and your bike was *so* pleasant to work on; 58K miles and clean as a whistle. No kludged on accessories or wiring disasters to wade through... NICE! Our little primer on suspension preload should help you dial-in the settings based upon rider/passenger/gear load, without you having to go through the chore of measuring the suspension's static sag.

You've now discovered, as so many others have, that the Wing's entire suspension system seems to have been designed by bean counters, not engineers. Yes - at first the bike seems to perform well, but over a rather short period of time, it degrades to a point of displeasure for both rider and pillion. We've had folks that are ready to throw in the towel on the Wing on account of the suspension, for an otherwise terrific bike.

There's no question that the Traxxion setup is a big chunk of dough to expend on an already expensive machine. Adding Progressive Springs, magic wheel bearings, pixie dust and voodoo, are only band-aids and do not address the fundamental design issues, whereas the Traxxion system, and to a bit lesser extent the Race Tech upgrade, does an A-1 job of providing a comfortable, controlled, slam-free ride.

Do let us know how the bike feels after a time - and if you have any questions, or if you encounter any issues, please be sure to call us, straight away.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dave:

I think you'll find "all-in" prices from any of the Traxxion installers to be fairly close, regardless of which installer does the setup for you. We charge right at $2800 installed, including All Balls, complete fork service including polishing the fork tubes on a lathe, OEM Honda seals and bushings, and servicing the rear preload adjuster so it works perfectly. That price could vary by a few dollars plus or minus, if the forks don't need all four bushings, or if there's a small part or two additional that is required.

What we also offer an OEM air filter change, and installing EBC brake pads, at a nominal cost, since it's so easy to do while we have the bike apart. We also clean up little things like replacing missing side panel grommets, re-routing or clean-up of owner-installed wiring that appears to be unsafe, and more - and we typically don't charge for that, unless it looks to be a real mess.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dave:

I think you'll find "all-in" prices from any of the Traxxion installers to be fairly close, regardless of which installer does the setup for you. We charge right at $2800 installed, including All Balls, complete fork service including polishing the fork tubes on a lathe, OEM Honda seals and bushings, and servicing the rear preload adjuster so it works perfectly. That price could vary by a few dollars plus or minus, if the forks don't need all four bushings, or if there's a small part or two additional that is required.

What we also offer an OEM air filter change, and installing EBC brake pads, at a nominal cost, since it's so easy to do while we have the bike apart. We also clean up little things like replacing missing side panel grommets, re-routing or clean-up of owner-installed wiring that appears to be unsafe, and more - and we typically don't charge for that, unless it looks to be a real mess.

Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dave:

You also included the Traxxion fork brace and covers and Traxxion shock. Just want to be specific. They are big cost items and some buyers may not know what is included in the Full Monty. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, and I love my Traxxion setup, but it doesn't necessarily solve the wobble. My wobble still came back when the tires got over 4000 miles on them.

Now that I have the billet triple clamps, I will see how it goes on my next new set of Bridgestones.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Am having problems with my bike so a gwrra member gave me his to ride for the rest of the season. He has traxion on it and yes what a difference it makes. i cannot let my wife ride unless she wants it on my bike. he rides around 2 or 3 most of the time and even his wife likes it

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, and I love my Traxxion setup, but it doesn't necessarily solve the wobble. My wobble still came back when the tires got over 4000 miles on them.

Now that I have the billet triple clamps, I will see how it goes on my next new set of Bridgestones.
Don't see how anything you can do inside the fork tubes would make or break a decel wobble. It must be those magic steering bearings.

·
Chard Member
12,967 Posts
"TRAXXIONIZED this weekend wobble gone"

Amazing what a $35 set of aftermarket head bearings will do!

Congrats.......... :yes1:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts