GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I went and did it yesterday on my '06 GL1800...got the front and rear Traxxion Dynamics suspension...including All Balls Bearings installed by Motovation Cycles & Accessories, Charlotte Hall, Maryland. These guys were great. Dan (aka motovation on GL1800Riders) and George met me when I pulled up and made me feel welcome...actually everyone at the shop was great and OMG...what a clean shop. LOL...the first thing that happened was I LOCKED my key in the trunk...I felt like a fool!!!...they got it opened and started work. Dan was giving all the guys in the shop a Traxxion training course as they worked on the installation... I was the FIRST to have it installed by Motovation...I sat around, talked to George (sales Manager) and watched them throughout the installation...MAN that was alot of work...glad I didn’t have to do it...checked out the accessories in the sales area (even bought some...)...FINALY it was done...my turn to PLAY...I had a 200 mile ride home...All I can say is...WOWWWWWWW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Dan told me, as I was leaving, to be careful the first time on the twisties...he said all along you have been overcompensating for the stock suspension...he was RIGHT...again WOWWWWWWW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I still have to get used to the NEW preload settings...It starts a 0...We set the initial setting to 1 and the test rider (cant remember his name) liked it at 1...remembering the stock preload didn’t start till 5 on mine...I went ahead and set it to 3...probably will do some more tinkering on these settings. Anyhow I sure am happy and they did a great job!!!...So if you’re around Maryland...look up Dan or George at Motovation Cycles... :yes:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Welcome to the Traxxion Club Jerry :!:

I had mine done at Wing Ding and got to first try out the new suspension at Deal's Gap for three days, it was a tough job but somebody had to do it! :)

Then there was the 2,500 mile ride home to Southern California, (again another tough job! :) :) )

As you said, and I quote, "WOWWWWWWW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE"

I just had a set of Metzler ME880's installed to replace my E3's a couple of weeks ago, again "WOWWWWWWW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE" :!:

Did a run through the Ortega Highway and another through Santa Barbara back roads, this is the set up to have on the 1800 :!:

The added bonus to Traxxion is it makes for a much more comfortable ride while eating up SuperSlab miles :!: :!:

May not be worth the expense to everyone but I sure as heck like it...

Time to go crotch rocket hunting on Angelus Crest Highway this weekend!, (I think I'm temporarily caught up on my "Honey-Do" list!).

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I'm not flaming anyone here but, why on Earth would you install "All Balls Bearings" onto a bike that has good/great suspension? The All Balls are not as free flowing as the stock bearings. They actually aid in binding the front end. That's why people were installing them in the first place, as a band-aid type of cheap steering dampning.
With the traxxion set-up, I'd consider an "adjustable" fork brace, But never the tappered roller bearings.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Nedro,

Replacing the steering head bearings was 80% an economical decision for me. Replacing the bearings while the suspension was out was inexpensive labor wise, the bearing themselves are not a budget breaker to begin with, $45 or so.

The other 20% is my own belief that OEM bearing are under built for the GL1800. The amount of additional steering binding in riding the bike I perceive no change flicking the bike from side to side or while turning the wheel lock-to-lock for very low speed maneuvers. Call the bearing replacement “preventative maintenance" in my case.

I should try Stu's spring scale test to see how many foot pounds it takes to move the handlebars, I believe Stu stated about 4lbs was correct on an OEM GoldWing, I'll have to look that up to verify.

I guess I have one of the seemingly few 1800 that has never wobbled under any circumstance. I've tried all the scenarios I could think of over its 24,000 miles in the last year or so. I'm currently on a new set of ME880, which replaced a set of E3's which replaced the OEM D250's. Tire wear has been even on the first two sets of tires with some minor cupping on the rear tires. The D250’s were replaced at 11,000 and the E3’s were replaced shortly after 12,000 miles. I have had a SuperBrace in place shortly after I first bought the bike. The first two sets of tires had not quite reached the wear bars but they were getting close.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pshivers said:
Nedro,

Replacing the steering head bearings was 80% an economical decision for me. Replacing the bearings while the suspension was out was inexpensive labor wise, the bearing themselves are not a budget breaker to begin with, $45 or so. (snip)...Call the bearing replacement “preventative maintenance" in my case. (snip)
Same reason here...the suspension was already disassembled and the All Balls considered “preventative maintenance".

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
You guys do what you want. But if it took 4lbs of force to move my steering head, I'd be repairing or adjusting something in a hurry!
I just thought it kind of funny that you'd put 2K to improve suspension and another 35 bucks to go back a step.
And I have no doubt that your GL handles worlds better than it did before the Traxxion upgrade, All Balls or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts