GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I went and did it yesterday on my '06 GL1800...got the front and rear Traxxion Dynamics suspension...including All Balls Bearings installed by Motovation Cycles & Accessories, Charlotte Hall, Maryland. These guys were great. Dan (aka motovation on GL1800Riders) and George met me when I pulled up and made me feel welcome...actually everyone at the shop was great and OMG...what a clean shop. LOL...the first thing that happened was I LOCKED my key in the trunk...I felt like a fool!!!...they got it opened and started work. Dan was giving all the guys in the shop a Traxxion training course as they worked on the installation... I was the FIRST to have it installed by Motovation...I sat around, talked to George (sales Manager) and watched them throughout the installation...MAN that was alot of work...glad I didn’t have to do it...checked out the accessories in the sales area (even bought some...)...FINALY it was done...my turn to PLAY...I had a 200 mile ride home...All I can say is...WOWWWWWWW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Dan told me, as I was leaving, to be careful the first time on the twisties...he said all along you have been overcompensating for the stock suspension...he was RIGHT...again WOWWWWWWW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I still have to get used to the NEW preload settings...It starts a 0...We set the initial setting to 1 and the test rider (cant remember his name) liked it at 1...remembering the stock preload didn’t start till 5 on mine...I went ahead and set it to 3...probably will do some more tinkering on these settings. Anyhow I sure am happy and they did a great job!!!...So if you’re around Maryland...look up Dan or George at Motovation Cycles... :yes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am probably going to do the front. Need to get down there and check them out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I put the Traxxion rear on first. Don't discount the effect on the rear suspension on handling. I put the rear on to smooth out the ride. I didn't expect it to improve the handling as much as it did. It made the bike corner better. The rear tire always felt planted and the power application was smooth and constant. When I used to get on the throttle with the stock, it often felt a little like wheel hop. It wasn't hopping, but it felt like it was about to break loose.

Later, I was riding 2 up on some twisty mountain roads which included several banking 180's and I found myself griding off some of my boot. I wasn't even aware I was leaned that far. It just felt comfortable and in control.

So what I am saying is, the rear shock makes a lot of difference and is half the cost of the front. I think if I was trying to ease the budget, I would first replace the rear and replace the front springs while disabling the unnecessary anti-dive valve. Then, the Traxxion cartridges can be added later.

And, if budget is an issue install them yourself. It really is not hard, especially with Fred's videos.

And, yeah, with both ends installed ..... Wowwww. At fast and slow speeds.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Steve, the full 0-25 range is still available but with proper springs the 0 setting is good for a single rider and an unloaded bike. Then, you just increase the settings to accommodate the load.

As has been posted elsewhere, most of the stock Honda preload adjustors add no preload until the setting gets as high as 5 or even 10 on some. This is because the factory does not properly fill the preload cylinder with oil. To check it, set it on 0 then listen to the motor as you press the UP button. Listen for the sound of the motor being loaded and release the button when you hear the whine go down in tone. Then, look at your setting. It will tell you where true 0 is.

Check the other threads on this. If yours doesn't load until 5 or 7 no harm is being done, it just means you do not have the full range of preload available. If you weight 300 lbs this may be a problem but for lighter riders it just means that if your preload motor loads at then your max load is really 20, not 25. Traxxion services this so 0 is really 0. Honda considers this an unserviceable part, however it is not difficult to service. Fred has pictures and instructions on this.

As to having "no problems" with your stock suspension, I caution you DO NOT RIDE A TRAXXION EQUIPPED WING! It could be harmful to your checking account. :lol:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
daddysbike said:
If you don't mind, how much $$$ and exactly what do they do??
I've had no problems with my '03 or '05 but would never be opposed to better handling. Do you still retain the 0-25 rear adjustment?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

The cost of what I had done was around $2400.00. I had the Front and rear Traxxion setup installed...Kuryakyn Fork Brace...All Balls Stearing Bearings...All Balls Wheel Bearings...so its probably a little less with JUST the Traxxion setup.

To get specific about what they do...you should probably talk to Max or Mike at http://www.traxxion.com/ or Dan at http://www.motovationcycles.com/motohome/index.cfm ...but I can at least identify what they do at a high level

Front forks - they add the AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit along with new springs calibrated to your weight. In case you ask...yes...the anti-dive is disabled.

Rear shock/spring - they take the OEM shock and rebuild it...modify the OEM shock piston...install custom valving...install a new spring matched for the rider’s weight and intended use (passenger, luggage, trailer)...but unlike the OEM preload (0-25 rear adjustment) which starts preload anywhere between 3 and 5...the new Traxxion modified Rear shock starts preload at 0 (more accurate preload...IMHO) Yes...it still uses the OEM 0-25 rear adjustment.

They also recomend the Kuryakyn Fork brace...which I also had installed... http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=honda&ci=3408

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
In case you ask...yes...the anti-dive is disabled.
How does the bike handle without the anti-dive. Can the traxxion be installed without disabling the anti-dive?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After only 200 miles and I haven't tested it yet on the twisties I like to ride..it rained today... :cry: ...but my initial feel is like the racing bikes I'm used too..well a few years back... :D ...Max...would be better able to answer your question about the anti-dive...but my understanding is that it is TOTALY nonfunctional with this new suspension...remember these are cartridges now...it totaly replaces the guts of the front forks...

Max talks about the anti-dive in this recent thread...check it out...
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=66811

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny thing...I kept hearing rattles last night when riding...my first thought was Dan forgot to tighten something after the install...guess what...it was all the replaced fork parts and springs...he had placed in a box in my left saddlebag.... :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
tjshelton
How does the bike handle without the anti-dive. Can the traxxion be installed without disabling the anti-dive?
With the proper spring rate the Anti-Dive is no longer needed. I have had the works from Traxxion on my 02 for about 6 weeks and there is very little dive in the forks, even on hard braking.

It handles sooooo much better in the twistys!

Jim

·
Registered
359 Posts
anti-dive

Tom,
My bike is available to ride as a demo. You can then decide for yourself. When I get back from our "New Mexico" ride. We will get together and you can try it out. It is available for anyone else to try out.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
envious--this seems to be the setup--maybe someday :D

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
"tjshelton How does the bike handle without the anti-dive. Can the traxxion be installed without disabling the anti-dive?
You can't even tell the anti-dive is disabled. The Traxxion Wing doesn't dive all that much or at least no more than the stock Wing does with it's anti-dive. With the Traxxion Wing, riding on a bumpy road and then braking hard the forks just react to the bumps as needed with much more available fork travel than with the stock setup.

With the stock forks and the average Wing owner, about 60% of the available fork travel is used up just sitting on the bike, and that leaves about 2 inches of fork travel left. Out of that remaining 2 inches, the last inch is really not useable....so that leaves 1 inch of fork travel to deal with the road bumps and the front end dive that happens when you brake. With the suspension setup like that, it's easy to see why Honda needed the anti-dive to keep the front forks from totally bottoming out when you hit the brakes hard. One 10 mile ride on a Traxxion Wing and it's very clear that the anti-dive isn't needed on this machine with the right suspension.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Re: anti-dive

motovation said:
Tom,
My bike is available to ride as a demo. You can then decide for yourself. When I get back from our "New Mexico" ride. We will get together and you can try it out. It is available for anyone else to try out.
Dan,

I was going to set up a check ride with you after Sunday's meeting, but you were kind of busy getting the gaggle in order.

I'll give you a call in a couple of weeks... Maybe we can trade bikes for a short ride around the area...

Oh, and don't forget to order the Rivco hitch for me.... Thanks...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been following all of the Traxxion posts with great interest and really appreciate all of you taking the time to post your comments. My question however is from a slightly different angle than most. I was wondering how much of an improvemnet there is to ride comfort, especially for the passenger. My SO has back and neck problems, and really suffers from some of the bumps in the road (New England roads!). Most have commented on how much beter handling the bike is from a sportier ride perspective, (which I am sure I would enjoy also), but I am wondering if that means the ride would be even stiffer than oem.

Again, thanks for all your input.

Will

·
Registered
24 Posts
What if you live on the West Coast? Are there any solutions to getting this installed out here? That would be a pretty long ride from Seattle! :shock:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Will said:
I have been following all of the Traxxion posts with great interest and really appreciate all of you taking the time to post your comments. My question however is from a slightly different angle than most. I was wondering how much of an improvemnet there is to ride comfort, especially for the passenger. My SO has back and neck problems, and really suffers from some of the bumps in the road (New England roads!). Most have commented on how much beter handling the bike is from a sportier ride perspective, (which I am sure I would enjoy also), but I am wondering if that means the ride would be even stiffer than oem.

Again, thanks for all your input.

Will

I ahve only donen the front so far, and the ride is not so much changed as far as smoothness when just cruising. It's in the twisties and the slow moving stuff that the improvements shine. Igot the fork brace too andthe steering bearing. Brace is good for real slow moving turns adn stuff.
I'msure the rear is you main concern for smooth ride. Cant' help you there, but the front again is not much different when just cruising....it will however take a bump now like a motorcyle suspension should, without bottoming out. It does increase the suspension travel a bit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My SO has back and neck problems, and really suffers from some of the bumps in the road (New England roads!).
My wife now asks me to ride her on the Wing to her chiropractor. Before, the jolting would throw her neck out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts