GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It time for me to order a new CT, I still have 4/32 of tread but am heading on a 4,500 mile trip to the Rockies and dont have time for an ISSUE, so I plan to pull it and save it for an emergency tire. My Pirelli RF has over 21,000 miles on it and thats the best that I have gotten on any CT. I looked at Tire Rack and the Pirelli only has a tread wear rating of 180 but the Kumho shows 340. I have had two Kumho tires but had to pull both of them off early due to puncture on one (not the tires fault) and separation on the other one (I hit an object on the road at night). I like the Pirelli but since I did not give the Kumho a fair trial, I am trying to decide which way to go. I also see a Bridgestone Turanza that has a 320 rating. I also tried a Continental Conti and did not get real good mileage from it and it shows a 400 tread rating. In your experience do these tread wear rating mean anything? Michelin shows nothing as tread wear (not rated?). Hey, how about this winter Pirelli, it is only $133!!

Im sure there is no concensus on this but wondering if anyone has an experience with one of these CT that is exceptional in your minds.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Your experience of the Tread Wear rating meaning nothing seems to be the consensus. But then again, we are using them on bikes so i don't know what impact that has on how the mfgs come up with ratings. It is my understanding that those ratings are mfg derived.

The Kumho has a tread wear rating of 340 and the Pirelli has a tread wear rating of 180. Both last about the same number of miles under the same riding conditions.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If you compare the mileage and the treadwear ratings, I think you will find a direct correlation. My Goodyear Triple Tred carries a rating of 740 and has just over 40k miles on it. The Khumos with around 300 treadwear ratings are being thrown away by many at less than 10k. (mine lasted 11k to the wear bars) My new Khumo (NRF) has a treadwear rating of 800. Gonna see what that does.

These ratings are manufacturer assigned, but do speak to the rubber compound's resistance to wear. The traction rating (A for the TT, created by increased siping) is also an important shopping tool IMHO. many will say that the increased treadwear increases hardness and lessens traction. This has not been my experience, but of course, that's just one person's personal opinion. YMMV

As you probably already have noticed, winter tires do not carry a treadwear rating...:shrug:

Happy shopping.

Now go wear that old tire out!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
56 Posts
same tire

Hey revrunt .. did you get the tire put on the bike yet? If so , how much air pressure. I put mine on tuesday and have about 500 miles on it .. I like ilt better than the runflat I took off. Have 32 lbs now but think it is a little low.. Just wondered what you run in yours......

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey revrunt .. did you get the tire put on the bike yet? If so , how much air pressure. I put mine on tuesday and have about 500 miles on it .. I like ilt better than the runflat I took off. Have 32 lbs now but think it is a little low.. Just wondered what you run in yours......

It's mounted on my spare rim and sitting in the garage begging me to put it on, but my TripleTred won't stop giving me more miles... I have 41k on the TT and it still has 3/32 before the wear bars in the middle. (about 2/32 on the sides)

You can figure out the right pressure for me! :excited: We are headed out for our annual LONG trip the first two weeks in July, so it will go on then for sure. i'll be checking in to find out what you decide. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
The Pirelli or the Michelin Winter tires will give pretty good wear. They will also give you better wet road traction because of all the siping.

I think you'll find that the Winter tires are a little more rounded at the edges and start with an extra 32nd of tread depth.

I, too, found the Conti's treadwear rating way off.

Since you asked, I'd go with the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 RF. I usded one all last Winter. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Pirelli or the Michelin Winter tires will give pretty good wear. They will also give you better wet road traction because of all the siping.

I think you'll find that the Winter tires are a little more rounded at the edges and start with an extra 32nd of tread depth.

I, too, found the Conti's treadwear rating way off.

Since you asked, I'd go with the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 RF. I usded one all last Winter. :yes1:

Do you feel there is any reduction of the gripping ability on this winter snow tire for the hot summer roads? The warnings made me wonder, also the fact that you stated you used it all last WINTER. Is there anything to this? Would you run them in the summer?

Warning on the site: While today's specially compounded and/or studded snow tires can provide more traction in cold, slush, snow and ice conditions, they can't match a summer or all-season tire's handling characteristics on warm, dry roads

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've got about 4K on my Pirelli winter 210... Can't fault it.... We have had days in the 90's so far... This is a great tire with a fairly shallow radius on the edges..... To kind of quote Trialsman I'd go with the Pirelli winter 210.....

Does that make it easier to decide?.... Good luck on your pickins... Cheers.....:doorag:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Do you feel there is any reduction of the gripping ability on this winter snow tire for the hot summer roads? The warnings made me wonder, also the fact that you stated you used it all last WINTER. Is there anything to this? Would you run them in the summer?

Warning on the site: While today's specially compounded and/or studded snow tires can provide more traction in cold, slush, snow and ice conditions, they can't match a summer or all-season tire's handling characteristics on warm, dry roads

I wouldn't worry about using it in warm temps at all. WingWing used up several Winter tires in Florida with no issues.

I just took mine off to save it for next Winter. I like the extra siping for any water on the road and the different compound designed for cold days.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got about 4K on my Pirelli winter 210... Can't fault it.... We have had days in the 90's so far... This is a great tire with a fairly shallow radius on the edges..... To kind of quote Trialsman I'd go with the Pirelli winter 210.....

Does that make it easier to decide?.... Good luck on your pickins... Cheers.....:doorag:
I cant help but wonder why the big warning concerning less traction on warm, dry roads than an all season tire? That is the only thing that is keeping me from trying the Pirelli or Micheline snow tire. I am heading for the Rockies and do not want any slippage up at 14,500 ft with no guard rail and the vertical cliff at the edge of the pavement! Thats instant death for me and the wife!!! I trust Trialsmans review of the Michelin snow tire though, he's a good rider and would not advise something that would be dangerous.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I am running the Mich now and have been sence last year. No problems with the mid 90s here this summer. I am getting close to 18K and sill good tread left even on sides. I can only get about 14K out of a Kumho before it gets into the cords on sides. I like this tire a lot and have 2 new ones waiting.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered from tirerack.com this morning:

195/55R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP RunFlat
You chose not to provide vehicle information
Download Warranty Brochure PDF In Stock 1$139.00 $139.00

Hopefully I will pass their interrogation under hot sweat lights with polygraph machine. I think I can handle the waterboarding but, I hope they dont get out the bamboo shoots...I dont know how much of that I can take.

·
Registered
86 Posts
great pick

i just finished a trip to stewart bc, 2800 miles with a michelin primacy. hundreds of miles of chipseal pavement, over 100 miles of dirt construction zones which included loose rock, wet muddy loose crap etc.and many metal grate bridges, throw in 100 miles of pot holes, fractured pavement, and constant road surface failure, frost heaves, sink holes, then finish up with dozens of miles of new surface crack repair(tar snakes) this tire handled it all with ease, the miles of loose sharp rock i traveled had me sweating but it was always the new elite 3 on front i was thinking of. post ride check of tires, the michelin looks brand new, the elite however has a definite ridge left of center and cupping is noticable, with rock bruise marks present as well. the handling with the michelin on good pavement both wet and dry was totally inspiring !!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the ride reports on the Michelin Primacy Alpin winter tire. Your posts boosted my confidence and the decision that I made. I love this forum!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts