GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be winterizing my GL 1800 this weekend and wonder how I can treat the chrome exhaust and aluminum wheels to fend off against potential pollutants / moisture or problems (rust). The bike will be in my garage and will be subject to cold temps.

Some have suggest coating the aluminum wheels and exhaust (after polish) with vasoline or a silicone based spray.

Any suggestions or products recommended???

What about covering up the holes of the exhaust or spraying some silicone based spray in them to reduce moisture damage???

Thanks.

Zeebo

·
Registered
638 Posts
Cover the open end of the exhaust pipe with plastic bags. This prevents rust from condensation that can occur inside the pipe. Otherwise no harm will come from storing the bike.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ellary said:
Cover the open end of the exhaust pipe with plastic bags. This prevents rust from condensation that can occur inside the pipe. Otherwise no harm will come from storing the bike.
Thanks for the info Ellary

Zeebo

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arn Butt Bill said:
Wonder mist fogging compound.
Probably find it at NAPA if the clerk is old and crusty. Kids don't know what it is.
Thanks...ok would you spray this inside the exhaust??? How do you apply??? Spray on rag and wipe down??? Could it damage the ABS plastic???

Zeebo

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I read somewhere not to use foging oils in the Wing because of the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Zeebo;

You will find as many hints to winter storage as there are people here who store their bikes for the winter.

I clean my 2004 with the Honda spray polish, fill the gas tank, add stabilizer, change the oil and filter, remove the battery, connect it to a battery tender, pull the cover over the bike, put decon and fabric softener sheets around it and kiss it goodbye for the winter.
If you have a nice warm day to do it then feel free to wash it first. Then take it out for a short ride to the gas station to fill the gas tank and get the stabilizer through the entire system.
Riding blows off all the water you didn’t get to wipe off before you polish it.
Those pesky meeses are your biggest worry.
I feel putting plastic bags over the exhaust pipes will trap any moisture. If you are concerned about meeses getting into the exhaust pipes then stuff steel wool in them.
Don’t forget to take all your “goodies” out of the trunk and saddle bags.

·
Registered
250 Posts
zeebo said:
Ellary said:
Thanks for the info Ellary

Zeebo
I dont wish to make waves but I would think that covering the exhaust pipes with plastic bags, or anything else, for that matter would hold moisture in and let it condense and evaporate with the temperature changes and cause rust rather that prevent it. The same principle applies when filling the gas tank to keep out the moist air.

Q

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Zeebo;
If you are concerned about meeses getting into the exhaust pipes then stuff steel wool in them.
Just to clarify that statement........
Stuff the steel wool in the exhaust pipes....
NOT the meeses......

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If the bike will only sit for three or four months, the simplest technique is to put the kickstand down and leave it be. Then ride it a lot after winter is over to burn out the tank of gas and fill it with fresh - maybe put in some injector cleaner first. If you live in an area where there is lots of condensation, your chrome on steel parts may pit a little - I might be concerned about that. Also, concerning condensation, unprotected steel parts will rust a bit, however there aren't many of those on the bike. Concerning your exhaust, I believe it's stainless steel. If so, which most exhaust systems are now-a-days, it won't rust and there is no need to do anything. If there are mice in the area, most folks throw some moth balls under the bike and that seems to keep them from making the Wing a winter home.

Remember, whatever you coat things with this winter, you'll have to get it off next spring.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Living in Wa. St. we are familliar with moisture. I would just put a
100 watt light on a drop cord under the bike. That will keep the moisture
away from everywhere. I would not plug the exahust ,so air could
circulate.
**** :)

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Have heard that a light misting of WD40 on polished metal parts will prevent corrosion and is easily removed when no longer needed.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Zeebo,

I always use the very coarse steel wool to pack the ends of the mufflers... using the very coarse allows some circulation of air into and out of the mufflers and helps in not trapping any moisture inside (IMHO); and of course it helps keeping the mice out of the mufflers.

I also put a box of mothballs next to each tire as that is the most likely method they use to climb onto the bike; I also put another box of mothballs on the seat and then cover it with the cover.

Don't forget the battery ... I put mine in the warm cellar and hook up the battery tender to it.

Allen Serviss Vernon,VT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts