GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To keep this on topic Judy took me on a three hour New Years Day ride. A little chilly but invigorating. She is very pleased with the Traxxion setup.

Now my question/problem. I have been using Trend Micro PC-Cillin. It asks to download new updates daily - small pain for the benefits. Lately it has been asking to download new components almost every ten minutes. Haven't looked into why as I am up for renewal this month. Just might switch to AVG. Anybody have any thoughts on (pro or con) switching?

Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't now about PC-Cillin, but I have been using AVG for a few months and have had not trouble (and no viruses). It does update everyday, but that is reassuring me that they are on-the-ball.

Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
jomamma1 said:
I don't now about PC-Cillin, but I have been using AVG for a few months and have had not trouble (and no viruses). It does update everyday, but that is reassuring me that they are on-the-ball.

Joe
+1 for AVG

I've been using it for several years - zero problems!

Also, Kim Komando recommends it!
http://www.komando.com/downloads/category.aspx?id=2519

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe a firewall issue...

Trend Micro will update daily... and sometimes twice a day. The only time I'm aware of repeated multiple update attempts was when the firewall settings were changed and the updates were unintentionally blocked... You might check your firewall settings...

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Have been using Trend for a couple of years, no virus problem to date. But like you I am getting update notices, etc to the point of distraction. I am waiting for the subscription to expire next month, then switching to the AVG.

Have it on the other computer, and it works as well, without the constant nagging.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I asked if the nagging could be removed, and TS said it was hard-coded into the product. I've been with them for seven years, but 2008 will be different if the nagging starts in November again. BTW, I would consider NOT upgrading to Internet Security 2007, but just extend the license for another year. 2007 slowed my laptop down and I really don't like the interface. I removed it and reinstalled 2006. Getting ready to do the same thing on the desktop tonight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Been using AVG for several years. Works for me and is free. Most folks I tell about it are using it without problems. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
AVG Free Edition

My Norton AV will expire in a few days. Have been considering the AVG Free Edition. Don't they also offer a paid subscription version? Does the free version offer sufficient protection? Why purchase the paid version if the free one works?
TIA
jb

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Had both, both seem to do fine. Biggest thing is to keep updated!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm using PC cillin 2004, I must have gotten the good one, I get my daily updates without a renewl yet, and here it is 2007. still waiting for them to tell me my time is up :p The last time i saw a rating, Norton was listed about #5 8) Free? who is paying the geeks to do a great job??? It only takes one to slip through to ruin your hard drive, and do you think that they are going to tell you about that. Well it was free :beer2:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've been using AVG Free for two years or better with no problems and it has caught several virus' and trojan horse's.
I've also installed it on several other folk's PC's.
Like someone above mentioned updating your anti virus is the key. I update practically every time I log on to the internet.

I won't use anything else....and it's free!!!!!

Be Blessed
Bloodbought1

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
pidjones said:
I asked if the nagging could be removed, and TS said it was hard-coded into the product. I've been with them for seven years, but 2008 will be different if the nagging starts in November again. BTW, I would consider NOT upgrading to Internet Security 2007, but just extend the license for another year. 2007 slowed my laptop down and I really don't like the interface. I removed it and reinstalled 2006. Getting ready to do the same thing on the desktop tonight.
I upgraded to the free 07 version and my desktop has slowed down a bunch, I also had upgraded to IE8 and the same time, didn't know what was causing the slowdown, it's terrible and I have cable as my ISP....
was it a hassle to uninstall vs 2007 and go back to vs 2006?????? vs 6 on laptop and it's working fine, also IE7 on laptop....I'm gun shy to upgrade to anything else....

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I left McAfee a month ago after trying AVG for a month on their free trial. I purchased the paid version of AVG to help support future development. By switching to AVG, I regained my system performance (running a Pentium Dual Core Processor with adequate memory and lots of HDD space). As my subscriptions to NORTON on the other computers at home expire, AVG will go on all of them.

Keeping this a riding thread, my local GWRRA chapter had a great NYD ride in Seattle. Fortunately we finished most of the ride before the rain came back. It was nice to be back in the saddle of the Wing after being off of it for a couple of weeks because of weather issues.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll chime in with another thumbs up for AVG. Some time back I ran a test with AVG and AVAST and found both to be excellent products... liked AVG's interface better than AVAST. Both are highly rated. You won't go wrong with AVG.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Re: AVG Free Edition

ihavenoidea said:
My Norton AV will expire in a few days. Have been considering the AVG Free Edition. Don't they also offer a paid subscription version? Does the free version offer sufficient protection? Why purchase the paid version if the free one works?
TIA
jb
If you read the front page it shows you what services you don't get if you go with the free version. http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

The free version has worked well for me.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Well I just uninstalled pc-cellin 2007 and re installed 2006 and computed is back to running fast again....don't know what they did in v2007 but it sucks!!!!! PC was slowed down to a crawl......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts