GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped in town traffic a couple days ago and WHAM..SUV hit me from behind knocking me into and off of the one in front of me.

I landed in the middle of the other lane waiting to be run over, and the bike landed beside the SUV that was in front.

Lucky I was in the left hand part of the lane and he hit me on the right rear.

Took me to the ER strapped to the board.

No broken bones, but I do now know what whiplash is!

My guestimate is $9,000-$10,000 damage to my 09 base wing.

The other driver was given a ticket for following too close, and was cited as at fault, but he has the same insurance as me.

The fun begins....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my 2 week old VTX a few years ago. Lady driving behind me was talking to her daughter in the back seat and didn't see the red light in front of her. Whacked me and threw me into the stopped car in front of mer. The VTX was accordianed and did not survive. A few surgeries later and I am back on 2 wheels. Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
same insurance company may not be a bad thing...pends on which company. sometimes they wave the at faults deductable when same carriers. good luck and glad your ok

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Damn...glad you can talk about it !

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, if I had been on my Dream, the results may have been different.

I was rear ended years ago in a VW Bug, and since then I have always checked my mirrors as I brake, and pretty routinely all the time. I had checked them a block before, and no one was there. Don't know where this guy came from.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
same insurance company may not be a bad thing...pends on which company. sometimes they wave the at faults deductable when same carriers. good luck and glad your ok
The deductible is irrelevant when you are not at fault. Whoever damaged you must make you whole......from the first penny.

I generaly leave a car length between me and the vehicle in front.....this way I would be only half a sandwich.

Also....I have a LINZ6 super LED bright strobing stop light, wear a High Viz vest and I watch the mirrors. But......the only sure thing is staying home and not riding - that of course is not an option!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPmQ7Og6VU

http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-linz6-super-led-lighthead.html

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I generaly leave a car length between me and the vehicle in front.....this way I would be only half a sandwich.
AS it should be. Distance and a way out:thumbup:

Had a winger the other day that scared the crap out of me while driving my pickup. At a 4 lane extremely busy intersection, actually a red light on hwy 152, this guy pulled his wing up and stop behind me directly in the middle of my tail gate. He could not have been more than 2-3 feet behind me. He also did this the next two redlights. Each time the only thing I could see was his windscreen on up. He was extremely close to me. If he keeps that up I'm afraid he is going to be the cream cheese between the bagel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Probably doesn't have Lox of experience.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Glad you are OK!!

Same insurance company but you are not the same policy holder, you should be just fine there.

I always try to leave space in front and when possible stop at an angle toward the shoulder or an open lane, watching my mirrors like a hawk. Also, if at a location such as a flagger at a construction zone where traffic would usually be traveling without stops, I always turn on my emergency lights too.

Regards,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always try to leave a vehicle length behind the stopped vehicle and look for the escape route also.

My slowdown and stop was so gradual I guess it lulled me into complacency. I had checked the mirrors about a block before and no one was there. I always check after I stop and watch for the rear ender, this time I didn't get the chance.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I always try to leave a vehicle length behind the stopped vehicle and look for the escape route also.

My slowdown and stop was so gradual I guess it lulled me into complacency. I had checked the mirrors about a block before and no one was there. I always check after I stop and watch for the rear ender, this time I didn't get the chance.
Don't sweat it... not your fault. Some of these clowns are going, say 35mph or faster while you are stopped. Do you know how fast that gap closes? You wouldn't even have time to say "uh oh" Besides, in the unlikely event you have time or are able to get out of the way, you have no guarantees the idiot will not follow you to avoid hitting the cage... and still hit you. Monday morning quarterbacking ain't worth much. Hope everything works out for you and you get back on the road soon.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
The deductible is irrelevant when you are not at fault. Whoever damaged you must make you whole......from the first penny.
http://
thats what i thought but when i got hit by a car the lady got a ticket but the insurance said i was still responsible for the first $250 because i had a policy with $250 deductible, her insurance paid evrything else, i came out good on the deal but i always wondered if they ripped me off

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
thats what i thought but when i got hit by a car the lady got a ticket but the insurance said i was still responsible for the first $250 because i had a policy with $250 deductible, her insurance paid evrything else, i came out good on the deal but i always wondered if they ripped me off
In Florida......a No Fault state, your own insurance pays the first 10,000 no matter whose fault it is. However, and this is where it gets screwee - if it is your fault, you get nailed for the deductible. If it is the other party's fault than no deductible applies....Insurance companies have a clearing house where they settle the difference.

If I was in an accident that was someone elses fault I would not let them get away with screwing me out of a deductible that applies ONLY to claims caused by you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Stopped in town traffic a couple days ago and WHAM..SUV hit me from behind knocking me into and off of the one in front of me....
This is why I always split lanes and go to the front of the line at traffic lights in California!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good luck for all outcomes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I guess they do not open driver doors to spit tobacco like they do down South............

Does door opening not scare you?
Not really. It's easy to spot dumb ass red necks. Besides that would be assault with a deadly weapon. At a red light how fast is traffic going?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

I HOPE they were a GOOD KISSER cause YOU GOT SCREWED!!!!:wrong::wrong:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts