GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a trigger wheel for my Valk a couple of years ago and loved what it did for performance and gas mileage. I have not heard of this option for a Wing. Can this be true?? Thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
The 1500 GoldWing uses the same trigger wheel as your Valk. Not one for the 1800----yet.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Javern......check this out http://bongo.www8.50megs.com/triggerwheel.htm it's the instructions for a 1500 install. It's clever as heck!

The trigger wheel tells the electronics of the bike when to fire a plug. The "trigger wheel" is the same thing as a TPR and is attached to the end of the crank. The trigger wheel was designed to advance the timing 4 or 6 degrees on the 1500 Wings and Valkyrie.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
With some already complaining about engine ping I think I'd be concerned about detonation if indeed you could advance a full 6 degrees.
Maybe not, but worth some thought I think?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The biggest difference between the 1500 and 1800 is the computerized fuel injection. Timing could be played with on the 1500 because of the lack of the state of the art computerized engine controls. The 1800 has the computer controlling all of the timing stuff. I would be surprised if changing a trigger wheel could do anything for the power. I think the only things that could be done for performance is: Better air flow (both in and out) and some kind of modification to the ecm (computer) for better fuel control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts