GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have not seen any on the road yet .6000.00seems a lot for traing wheels
we went for the full blown package.hannigan kit and a 2 wheel goldwing for me ,:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Trev

I too saw them set up at the airport in New Smyrna while at Daytona. I got a good close look and they seem well made. I asked the guy if I could take the bike for a test ride and enjoyed the look on his face. :22yikes: Fact is, however, there is a fellow that is a Paraplegic who the company set up with their equipment and I understand the guy road across the States and back with this set up. He was captured while riding at Deals Gap.

It would appear that he was, and has done ok with this equipment. As I understand it, you activate the gear with a switch mounted on the handlebars. As you can see in the Pic, the guy can still lean in the turns. Guess it still gives you the best of both worlds. Would think about this, verses the instatrike kit if I were wanting to still enjoy the lean.

Now for me, well, I love my trike and am happy with the choice that I made. But I sure would like to give this rig a go sometime just for giggles.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a friend in New Zealand who wants to ride a Wing again and is in the early stages of MS. Currently he is looking at a GL1200 to see if the weight is an issue for him. With a set up like the ones above he can enjoy the pleasures of riding again and on a GL1800 if he wishes.

Trev.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If you look close, you can see that he appears to have a bracket of some sort attached to the passenger handles. When looking at the seat of the wheelchair, you can see the same thing tubing, so my guess is that he has built some small, light weight "frame" on which his chair lives while riding. The chair itself is a light weight, titanium frame, chair that would only weigh about 18-20 LBS, so my guess is that he transfers onto the bike and then reaches down and lifts the chair using one arm, and sets it on the frame. Just my guess. Nice set up for sure and would love to meet the fellow sometime and put a handhake on him.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yea, and the wheel chair is UPSIDE down....:22yikes:. Looks like a nice rig though, don't think I'll get to use something like that since I can't lift more than 5 lbs. I'd have to have some sort of power lift if I went that route.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What I really wanted was a trike but with all the problems with warranty issues and Mother Honda,
I chose the Insta-Trike Kit. (Tow-Pac).

Cost: $3900
Installer: myself.
Handling: Not as good as a Trike. I have to take the corners slower, and
have to watch I don't drop off the shoulder of the highway.

The Landing gear style that started this thread would be OK except I would be concerned about it failing in the up position.
Also, I suspect it might have more lean then my Tow-Pac on slanted highways.
I am running Kumho 155/80R-12 tires instead of the 4.80 x 12 trailer tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have ridden a lot of these products over the years. Been a triker since 1995. Save your cash and buy a REAL trike kit. Do your homework and find the kit YOU like, talk to other trike people then buy the best you can!
You will not regret the comfort and ride of a real solid three wheel machine whatever the brand!
;)The old man with 150,000 trike miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts