GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering if there was any benefit to keeping the brake system separate like is stock on the wing. It seems to me that it would make sense to figure out how to hook the brakes up so that no matter whether you grabbed the brake handle or stepped on the peddle that ALL of the brake pads and calipers would go to work. I know that if I step on the brakes in my truck everything works at once. Why wouldn't I want all of the brakes on my Motor Trike to work?:?::?:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
GL 1800 brakes are integrated and work together under a percentage basis front to rear and rear to front. Most conversion kits keep it that way but Champion has us make modifications.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Brakes

As many of you know, GL1800 Bikes brakes are linked and highly sophisticated..eg., when only rear brakes are applied just one (of three) rear wheel caliper pistons is initially activated, and similtaneously two left front and one right front pistons are actuated. Just as soon as the two left pistons are actuated, the secondary master cylinder rotates and actuates the remaining two rear caliper pistons. When only front brakes are applied two right front pistons are actuated and one left front. As soon as the left front caliper grips the rotor, the secondary master cylinder actuates two rear caliper pistons. Both proportioning and delay valves are incorporated in the brake circuits. These simple features are why balanced braking habits (on a bike) are essential for maximum braking effectiveness.

I'm not familiar with CSC, Hannigan, Lehman or MT brake systems (other than the fact that all have two rear calipers). Since retention of any "linking" would depend on the front/rear circuits and multiple/inidvidual rear caliper pistons, do any of a these really retain any front/rear linking? How do they do it? Just curious....
Anyone familiar with these trikes brake systems might fill in more info for all....

Here are the trike brake systems that I personally know:
Champion - not linked -totally separate front/rear - two pistons (of 6) disabled in the front
Trike Shop - not linked - totally separate front/rear - two pistons (of 6) disabled in the front
DFT - totally stock system, no modification from original bike

As opinions vary greatly on trike braking habits, this is certainly not intended to debate those habits, rather just to define how different trikes approach brake system modifications.
Charlie

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I'm not familiar with CSC, Hannigan, Lehman or MT brake systems (other than the fact that all have two rear calipers). Since retention of any "linking" would depend on the front/rear circuits and multiple/inidvidual rear caliper pistons, do any of a these really retain any front/rear linking? How do they do it? Just curious....
Anyone familiar with these trikes brake systems might fill in more info for all....
Charlie,
The MT, and Hannigan maintain the stock breaking system. The rears are feed into a T Block to split the juice. I have toyed with the idea of separating the breaks on my MT but really don't wont to go through all of the work ;) I will admit it I am lazy and would rather be out riding... I think the peddle would be a little firmer with them separated, but not sure. I hear the sage of peddle pump on the TS, and think it would more than likely be the same for the MT. I do use the rears more that the front, and still ware the left pads at a rate due to the linking. I have often thought that I would like to have control of the fronts if needed without the interlinking to the rear also, because it is so easy to lock up the front, and loose the steering. Maybe one day I will try it just to see. :shrug:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me rephrase the question.

Does anyone know how to tie ALL of the brakes together. so no matter whether you squeeze the handle or step on the peddle that All of the calipers and Pads work, not just some of them? :?:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
CSC also maintains the link breaks and ABS if equipped.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Does anyone know how to tie ALL of the brakes together. so no matter whether you squeeze the handle or step on the peddle that All of the calipers and Pads work, not just some of them? :?:

Hummmmm; That would take some study, but I wonder if the proportional valve would have any thing to do with the distribution of the fluid?

PS: I understood the question, and statement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts